Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hesitating writing this post for awhile. I guess my own subconscious was unwilling to start this
journey with me.

I have to take me room offline down to the gunnels. Apparently there is a cracked sewer/outflow pipe directly under the poured slab of my basement. So they are going to have to cut and jackhammer right in the middle of my finished basement to get to it.

But that is just the half of it. When we ran the pipe camera we couldn't see past the break. My gut tells me that there is probably another problem further down the line. Which means they may need to replace the whole line all the way to the sewer main in the street.

UGH!!!

I have to keep reminding myself that this can be a chance to redo the room and make some changes I wish I had done in the beginning. The room I want is waiting on the other side of this adventure.

I'll be sure to start a photo journal of the whole experience:

Some of the things I would live to improve in the new room:

Desired improvements

[ ]Better Insulate between concrete floor and carpet
[ ]Run rear sub lines
[ ]Add in ductless split AC for cooling and heat
[ ]Cannibalize home office area
[ ]Re-Label patch panel
[ ]Sound Insulate floor above
[ ]Add in columns and sconce lighting?
[ ]Panel entire walls
[ ]Upgrade to M80s
[ ]Add in second row of Poangs
[ ]Get rid of weight lifting equipment
[ ]Pull up carpet going down to theater and redo steps

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I feel your pain! But as least you know it's a broken pipe. Insurance covers broken pipes & the cost of the refinish. Look at it like you are getting an upgrade at a discount.:sn:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. They are jackhammering the slab right now and it is 83dB in the living room above!

I definitely need to put in some kind of sound insulation between the floor and the ceiling below. Not sure if anything would deaden a jackhammer though.

I will follow up with some additional pics once they let me downstairs to take a look. Here are some from
last week:

http://imgur.com/a/oFsr4

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have to keep reminding myself that this can be a chance to redo the room and make some changes I wish I had done in the beginning. The room I want is waiting on the other side of this adventure.

I'll be sure to start a photo journal of the whole experience:
I went downstairs to take a quick look and here's
what it looks like:

< SNIP...see images above... <SNIP>

So... I went back up stairs. :)
They say: "A picture's worth a thousand words."
For your picture's, at least half those words should be: "I applaud your positive attitude."

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
hope the problem is concentrated there where the cut out is and they can just splice in a piece with couplers,this will keep you busy for a bit,but as you said you will get to change some things around.
best of luck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so here we are 7 hours later.

My main line out to the sewer service is "bellied" and pitching backward.

So they've been able to fix the main issue that brought them out. But with
the floor already opened up, it may sense to just replace the line all the
way out to the street, put in a new trap, vent pipe, etc.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

I've updated the album but here is a couple of quick pics:

Running the pipe camera

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL!

I know. I keep telling myself that over and over again. Week after next is the real work when they open a trench through the entire room to put in the pipe busting head and new pipe to the sewer connection in the street.

But at least I can rest assured that there will be no sewer pipe problems to show up in the future.

I plan to do a youtube walkthrough today to show you guys what I'm currently thinking about the room. But would love to hear you guys comments.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So in an effort to keep myself positive and balanced, I'm trying to imagine
what this room could look like back together.

Here is a layout of the room I did in SketchUp a while back. I don't think the chairs are properly to scale
in this diagram. I used the short wall (100" wide" for the screen, speakers, etc.

Because of the weird shape I couldn't do alot else. The room is about 20' long and 13.5' wide at it's widest point. You'll see it better in the video link below.

So I'm looking for ideas. I'm currently thinking of getting rid of the home office area (Desk, bookcase, etc) and maybe adding a raised area for a second row of chairs. But I am interested in what you more experienced guys could offer.

Video walk through of the room as it currently is:

https://youtu.be/YE_eqdGOHOE

TIA

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Media Room coming offline (Update)

Media Room Offline (Week 3)

Here is a link to the new photo album:

http://imgur.com/a/ovFiD

I figured I'd give you guys a quick update. Contractors are currently digging
up the rest of my basement. I've posted a new album of Week 3's work, but
here are some quick pics:

Room emptied out:

My "helper" reading comic books he found:

Contractors showing up this morning:

Backhoe at work...

Highlights of the last 2 weeks:
  • Room has been completely emptied
  • Equipment has been placed in storage
  • Contractors have begun digging the trench to pipe burst my sewer line

Stay tuned for the next thrilling chapter. Same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Week 5 Update:

All plumbing work has been completed.
I'm in the process of cleaning walls and acoustic tiles (3/4 finished)
Waiting for State Farm field agent to come out and inspect for the claim.

So I'm basically in a holding pattern until they get out here.

One thing I am looking to do this week is rent a floor prep machine and grind/sand down cement patch area left by the plumbers. Right now it is a small but noticeable hump in an otherwise flat slab. I know dricore will not lie flat over it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I'd call the plumber and tell him to come grind it down flat. They need to finish the job they started, not leave it like that! Unless you are getting a brother-in-law deal or something. Are they an unknown subcontractor that your contractor hired, if so, you can tell him that they need to come back & finish the job. The concrete will grind down pretty easy while its still green. Pea gravel is much harder if that is in it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts