Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered The Stranger and 52 Street on MFSL SA-CD; they are NOT 5.1 discs. I already own them on redbook CD and vinyl, but I can't wait to hear them! I'll try post impressions of their sq after I've listened to them for a while.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I received the MFSL SA-CDs and have given them a listen...WOW! I'll try to post a bit more info and get specific as to what impresses me the most, but for now that one word (WOW!!) does a good job of summing-up my over-all impression. :cool:

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The original masters must be a huge part of the sound. Also, MFSL mods their electronics.

Hard to tell if the gold substrate improves the sound, but it does look pretty cool. :D

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original masters must be a huge part of the sound. Also, MFSL mods their electronics.

Hard to tell if the gold substrate improves the sound, but it does look pretty cool. :D
There's an insert detailing the equipment that MFSL uses; they use custom electronics with a bandwidth of DC to 100kHz (sampled at 2.8MHz)!! I will never forget the sound of Pink Floyd's The Wall on MFSL; it had a liquid sound I had never before (or since) heard on Redbook CD.

I noticed that the new SA-CDs background "noise" isn't "black" or even ultra-quiet; it's just plain non-existent! On 52nd Street I'd swear that you are sitting in the sound engineer's chair; truly incredible SQ.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I used to own MFSL "The Wall". :doh: I'll pick me up a used one, someday, although they ain't cheap. :spend::dollarsign::dollarsign::dollarsign:

The DVD of the The Wall has really nice sound. Wish they would release it and the other Floyd shows on Blu Ray. Hoping The Wall sees SACD, too.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to own MFSL "The Wall". :doh: I'll pick me up a used one, someday, although they ain't cheap. :spend::dollarsign::dollarsign::dollarsign:

The DVD of the The Wall has really nice sound. Wish they would release it and the other Floyd shows on Blu Ray. Hoping The Wall sees SACD, too.
+1 :TT I JUST ordered Amused to Death on Sony SBM (Gold)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never heard this, but one day I will order it anyway.
It's Roger Waters' Sony Master Sound release that is "bit-mapped" to quasi 20 bit resolution. BIG MONEY!! I have an original release, a Japanese release and (soon) the Sony SBM (Super Bit Mapping) Gold CD. I'm actually thinking of doing a review to see (hear?? :D ) if there's any real difference in SQ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.