Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is a better thread for this type of question, please point me their direction.

I'm trying to learn REW to do some room treatment measurements, and have a question about calibration files. I have a Dayton EMM-6 microphone that I purchased through Cross-Spectrum Labs, that came with calibration files. There are several files, and wasn't sure which to use for which purpose.

As of right now, I am measuring room SPL and RT60/30 to determine effectiveness of room treatment.
The files they provided include 0°, 45°, and 90° responses for narrow, and one third octave bands (all in .FRD), as well as a polar response (.XLS and .CSV).

I assume that for SPL it doesn't matter. For RT60/30, the file would need to correspond to the positioning of my microphone toward the source, correct?

But then I'm unsure of the narrow vs one third octave band selection. Narrow band would give me more precision, but not necessarily useful precision depending on the space?

Any thoughts, advice, or references are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
RT60 is looking at the decay of the impulse response, it doesn't matter which cal file you have loaded as the cal file is not used when producing the impulse response, only the frequency responses generated from it. Can use the 0 degree narrow band cal file for most things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts