Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a new macbook and cant get REW to communicate with my 1124 through the M-Audio USB MIDI adapter. I downloaded the drivers for the adapter and went through the MIDI setup and it seems to be working from the test screen but REW doesnt seem to be able to send the filter settings to the BFD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

:scratch::huh::scratch::huh:

....Also, under the comms window in settings it says " no MIDI output ports available"

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Sorry Brian, I thought JohnM would pick this question up, but I guess he's not around. :)

My problem is I know nothing of Macs and even less about the midi connection, since I never use it. I can enter the filters faster by hand.

Anyway, you do have to be sure that your BFD is Version 1.4 and not 1.3 (since the latter midi firmware doesn't work). To check your version number, turn on the BFD while holding the Filter Select button and the version number will show on the BFD display.

You also must have the midi device powered up before starting REW or it won't see the midi port.

Also be sure you're connecting to the correct input midi port on the BFD. You are allowed to just run one soundcard MIDI cable output to the BFD input without connecting the BFD MIDI output, but be sure it's the correct port on the BFD.

I also assume you have gone through the REW Help files and have enabled midi correctly in the BFD.

That's about all I know. It would be nice if someone else who uses the midi could help, but......

brucek

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your help Brucek,

I'll give it another shot this evening and see if I can get it to work. I have used the MIDI connection before with my old HP laptop so I don't think it's the BFD. I'll let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Sorry, been away on business. Mac OS X platforms with J2SE V5.0 installed should support Midi but it does not appear to work, use Plumstone or Mandolane Midi SPI (www.mandolane.co.uk) to allow Midi comms on the Mac.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, for some reason I couldn't get that software to work. I just downloaded the XP version of REW and ran it in parallels. Worked fine.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also know very little about the mac version, I did hook up the midi out to midi in on the bfd and went through the connections page to get the 1124 setup correctly. The mac says it is sending out the signal, The output light flashes on the midi usb cable and I checked I do have version 1.4. I also tried using windows with the same result. So I think it must be something I am not doing right in the BFD. Is there a mode or something on the BFD that it must be in, besides making sure it is setup to accept midi connection.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
No, if you have set up the BFD Midi comms per the REW help files that is all that is needed. The most common issue with Midi comms is having the in and out connections swapped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
got the midi working on the mac. It was the connection cables. I miss read the cable it states To midi in so I plugged into the midi in side of the BFD. I had thought it was midi in and needed to go to midi out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts