Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into a home theater system for some time now. I just bought my first place over a year ago and I'm now looking into getting my first home theater system to match.

I have zero experience with audio speakers and receivers, but after doing a lot of reading up I have settled on the SVS MTS-01 5.0 Full size speaker system. I am not going in on the sub yet since I live in a condo and I don't want to of my neighbors.... yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on A/V receivers that would go great with those speakers? I am looking for at least 5.1 capabilities and at least 2 zones for some where in the range of $1,000.

I started to look into this on my own but I don't understand enough about impedance, ohms and frequency response to fully understand what I am looking at.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi Justin,
I would suggest looking at some of the Onkyo range, as I understand it there are some bargains to be had on these amps with something like the 906 coming in around that price point, and would be capable of powering the MTS speakers, but you could also later on add a poweramp if you feel they needed more...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
John is correct, The Onkyo line is the best bang for buck. The Onkyo TX SR876 is a great choice. The 906 is better however they sell for about $1400.
I garentee that you wont find a better receiver than the 876 for $888 new.
You get a receiver that will drive all channels at the rated output and it has the best video upconversion available in a receiver the Raon HQV chip.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
At $1000 or less, it really is a no brainer. Tony and John already mentioned the name brand that will give you what you need, and that is an Onkyo. They are just fantastic bargains for what you get in them and I cannot recommend them enough!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's I have been loosing my mind looking through all the different brands and models. Has anyone tried out the steaming of media from the pc to the 906? Is it worth it to upgrade to the 906 over the 876?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ive heard roomers that its a bit finicky to get it working but as I dont have that particular model I cant say for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone tried out the steaming of media from the pc to the 906? Is it worth it to upgrade to the 906 over the 876?
I've got a Radeon 4350 (second graphics card in the PC that does 7.1 channel PCM), going to an 876 and it has no problems what so ever.

I think with the 906 you pay a lot more for a little more power & current delivery (and networking features which I don't need), that's why I went with the 876 and it's one hel l of an impressive AVR, I love it. It's got so much power that I chicken out at high DB's before the speakers or amp runs out of steam.

And congrats on those speakers! I've been dreaming of getting a set of those but they are SO expensive here you'll cry if you see the difference in price between the US and SA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a Radeon 4350 (second graphics card in the PC that does 7.1 channel PCM), going to an 876 and it has no problems what so ever.
How long of a cable can you have between the pc and the receiver? I would be steaming music from 2 rooms away so approximately 50 feet of cable. At what point do you get signal lose? .

·
Banned
601 Posts
How does the 1007 compare to the 906? I noticed they were very similar. Also is there a reason Onkyo doesn't show the 900 series on their webpage?
The 1007 is the true replacement of the 805 (no HQV Reon here).

The new 3007 is the old 876.

* And the 5007 is more akin of the 906.

))) So, if you want to compare the 906, you'll have to look at the 3007 or 5007.
And these newer receivers are more full featured now (Pro Logic IIz & Audyssey DSX...).

--> Remember, only the 5007 has the toroidal transformer, like the 906.
And the 5007 improves his Dacs with the Burr-Brown PCM-1795 (192-khz/32-bit, times six).
The 5007 is truly a monster receiver (55.1 lbs, and max. power consumption of 12.8 Amperes).

*** But the 3007 also weights 55.1 lbs, and it's max. power consumption is 11.6 Amperes.
Also, the 3007 has the HQV Reon VX viseo processor. Dacs are the BB PCM-1796A times six.
But the main transformer (three in total) is not a toroidal.

~ Here are some interesting internal pictures of the 3007 (review):
@ http://www.area.dvd.de/hardware/2009/onkyo_txnr3007_1.shtml

~~ Preview of the 5007:
@ http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2009/onkyo_txnr5007.shtml

~~~ And the 1007 (review):
@ http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2009/onkyo_txnr1007_1.shtml

--> And by the way, the 1007 weights 51.8 lbs, and it's max. power consumption is 11.6 A (same as the 3007).
The Dacs are the BB PCM-1796A times six, and the video processor is the Faroudja Cinema, not as good as the HQV Reon, for sure. But if you don't need it (VP), then this becomes moot.

Hope this helps,
Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long of a cable can you have between the pc and the receiver? I would be steaming music from 2 rooms away so approximately 50 feet of cable. At what point do you get signal lose? .
I've got a 5meter HDMI cable going to the amp and then another 5meter hdmi cable going to the plasma. Sorry I don't know what the limitations are for the length of an HDMI cable.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
50ft for HDMI cable might be too long and a repeater may be required to boost the signal, the other option would be to run CAT5 cable for Network ability and that should be sufficient to stream music over it as it does not send video over the CAT5 where as HDMI does...the longest HDMI cable I have used is 15M...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Info guys.

It looks like I am going to have to go with either the 906 or the 1007. I need the networking capabilities to avoid the hassle of figuring out signal lose and boosters. Since I already have cat5 cable throughout the house anyway this is the better option. As for the 5007 and the 3007 they look like they would be more of a receiver than I really need. It seems to add features that I know nothing about and I don't think it would impact me enough for me to really notice.

Now I just need to decide on if I will need the better up converting of the HQV Reon chip in the 906. I also like that the 906 draws less amps. Makes me feel like I would be helping the environment (everyone is going green right??)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks for the Info guys.

It looks like I am going to have to go with either the 906 or the 1007. I need the networking capabilities to avoid the hassle of figuring out signal lose and boosters. Since I already have cat5 cable throughout the house anyway this is the better option. As for the 5007 and the 3007 they look like they would be more of a receiver than I really need. It seems to add features that I know nothing about and I don't think it would impact me enough for me to really notice.

Now I just need to decide on if I will need the better up converting of the HQV Reon chip in the 906. I also like that the 906 draws less amps. Makes me feel like I would be helping the environment (everyone is going green right??)
Only the SVS speakers with such an expensive receiver? Seems like you are going a bit high on the receiver budget wise.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ltra2-140w-X-7ch-Hdmi-Receiver-Silver-/1.html is the best deal though.

The *05 series was the best Onkyo has put out in a while. The best receiver I've ever had was an Onkyo 705

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only the SVS speakers with such an expensive receiver? Seems like you are going a bit high on the receiver budget wise.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ltra2-140w-X-7ch-Hdmi-Receiver-Silver-/1.html is the best deal though.

The *05 series was the best Onkyo has put out in a while. The best receiver I've ever had was an Onkyo 705
Yeah it may be a good idea to drop down to an older version. The reason I am looking for a more high end receiver is because in my mind that is the heart of your system and that is the one place you wouldn't want to short change. Plus I also have a budget I'm trying to stick near, this is my first sound system ever. I am 2 years out of college and need a system to match my 46 inch 1080p LCD tv. Also going with the higher end system it leaves me room to expand and make speaker and component upgrades without needing a new receiver later on in life.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Hi Justin,

Between the 906 and the 1007 (by the way, both for about $999 each), I'll go with the 906, in a heart beat.

* And you're right, this is the heart of your system. Plus, it will last you a long time, even when you'll upgrade your speakers. :T

** If you don't have much interest in Audyssey DSX, the 906 is a no-brainer.
And it might be more receiver than what you really need, but who cares, at the price. :bigsmile:

Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah it may be a good idea to drop down to an older version. The reason I am looking for a more high end receiver is because in my mind that is the heart of your system and that is the one place you wouldn't want to short change. Plus I also have a budget I'm trying to stick near, this is my first sound system ever. I am 2 years out of college and need a system to match my 46 inch 1080p LCD tv. Also going with the higher end system it leaves me room to expand and make speaker and component upgrades without needing a new receiver later on in life.
Receivers get replaced much more frequently than speakers. A couple of years ago receivers didn't even have HDMI. I spent $2000 on a top line receiver 5 years ago and sold it a few months ago for $350. The speakers (and sub) I spent about the same amount of money on ($2200) will last me another 10 years. Things change in audio every year. You're right that a receiver is the heart of your system, but a $500 receiver will plenty for you. Spend the extra on speakers/sub or a bigger display.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Receivers get replaced much more frequently than speakers. A couple of years ago receivers didn't even have HDMI. I spent $2000 on a top line receiver 5 years ago and sold it a few months ago for $350. The speakers (and sub) I spent about the same amount of money on ($2200) will last me another 10 years. Things change in audio every year. You're right that a receiver is the heart of your system, but a $500 receiver will plenty for you. Spend the extra on speakers/sub or a bigger display.
Honestly I don't see my self replacing the receiver that often. I can't say for sure since this is my first receiver but I usually keep things until they die. Yes a $500 receiver will do just fine with the speakers I am getting but the features I want are only in the more expensive models.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Honestly I don't see my self replacing the receiver that often. I can't say for sure since this is my first receiver but I usually keep things until they die. Yes a $500 receiver will do just fine with the speakers I am getting but the features I want are only in the more expensive models.
And what are those features, may I ask you?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts