1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and then the water damage. :hissyfit: :crying:

War of the Worlds

Pods Emerging

this theater is located in the basement, to keep water from pushing up from the ground, there are perforated pipes that run underneath the 4" floor slab that go into a sump tank where water is supposed to be pumped out. the contractor forgot to run the pumps when this big typhoon hit.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yup he will. i'm only out the delay in the entire project. what should have taken 45-60 days as you can see from the pic dates took half a year and counting.

I wasn't able to take pics of the wall panels that were wrapped in upholstery that was destroyed as well ... I only take pics every saturday and the panels were made in between taking pics.

I do have updated pics to post that were taken last saturday:

because of the new thicker slab (which I had to pay extra for - from 4" ordinary slab to 8" pressure slab) I had to delete a row of seats. now it's down to two rows, and instead of the wooden platforms and stage ... I had them made out of solid concrete. (the old platforms had this hollow thump when walking over them which drove me crazy).

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
A very interesting construction..Looks like it's going to be a good size theatre..
I like the shape of the ceiling...Is that going to be a star field ceiling?
What size screen are you planning on using.?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, that's a star field ... I also put all the lighting into a remote control system.

looking at a 106" screen.

two rows, 4 and 3 = 7 seats. I'm looking at the LaZboy HT seats.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i hope so. you can't believe the anxiety of waiting for the theater to finish ... and then waiting for it to finish again :)

on a side note, I've always wondered why they were covering all the fiberglass in the wall with the plywood ... i told myself "aah low bass traps" ... but what I did not see was before they upholstered the wall panels, they did this:

(I didn't see them do that before because those panels were destroyed by the previous flood)

here are pics the HT subcontractor took before the destruction: (the what could have been scenario)

G

·
hey mike, your theater is looking great (thus far) and i am looking forward to more pics! question: how high did you make the riser between the seating levels? is that what you are refering to when you mentioned the 8" slab instead of the 4"? i was told that you should have a minimum of 6" rise between the levels but can't seem to confirm this anywhere. thanks and hope the reset of the build goes smooth as silk :)

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I also put all the lighting into a remote control system..
I did the same in my theatre and it's a real crowd pleaser..:clap:
When the lights slowly dim and the movie starts, it gives that real theatre feeling..

I'll be following your progress with interest..Keep the pics coming..

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey mike, your theater is looking great (thus far) and i am looking forward to more pics! question: how high did you make the riser between the seating levels? is that what you are refering to when you mentioned the 8" slab instead of the 4"? i was told that you should have a minimum of 6" rise between the levels but can't seem to confirm this anywhere. thanks and hope the reset of the build goes smooth as silk :)
hi, back when there were three rows, each level was 6" ... now that there are two rows only it's 8"
i hope this time there isn't anymore problems. :praying:

I did the same in my theatre and it's a real crowd pleaser..:clap:
When the lights slowly dim and the movie starts, it gives that real theatre feeling..

I'll be following your progress with interest..Keep the pics coming..
I will! thanks for looking

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Wow Mike, thats an impressive room. I find it interesting that the room is constructed with concrete rather than wood or steel is your place all concrete? Makes for a very different feel and look.

Keep us posted.

Tony

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good observation. you see, 99% of the houses here are constructed with concrete, houses should last a 1000 years :)

it should have good isolation from other rooms, except leakages from the dropped ceiling and the door. but in this particular room, the ceiling has a poured slab as well, and all the walls (instead of the regular hollow blocks) are poured concrete too (retaining wall) ... makes for a good bunker. :) but they were not made from poured concrete just for isolation really, it's only because this room is in the basement, i'm guessing structural reasons.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
.... you see, 99% of the houses here are constructed with concrete, houses should last a 1000 years :)
Thats amazing! Is there a reason why they choose to construct houses this way? It cant be cheep compared to way we do it here.
I know that allot of places in the US do not build basements but here in Canada that is normal except in British Columbia because of the rock in the ground. My place only the exterior walls and floor in the basement are concrete the rest is wood stud construction.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you know what, I really don't know ... but I did ask my architect friend from the US:
"how come most of the houses there are made of wood?"

he said his best guesses was:

"maybe because of the expensive labor cost there and something about the concrete keeping/absorbing the cold?"

i'm thinking wood is just much faster to work with ... there's no curing times ... just keep building!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice HT room, what kind of lighting is it around the screen box frame? looks great.
T5 lighting - thin thingies that look like fluorescent lights. I have since told the subcontractor that I did not want to see the "spaces" in between with no light, so I told him to stagger/overlap the lights.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts