Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was reading the thread on the Paradigm sub2 build and was wondering how successfull a cut down version would be using 3 subs instead of 6.

I built my sub sometime ago without a lot of experience. It uses a redgum audio RGSW amp and a 15" fusion power plant sub. The sub was primarily made for car use.

The amp specs can be found here:
450W 8 ohms and 600W 4 ohms.

The 15" driver is:
Magnet Structure: 260 Oz
Power Handling (MAX): 1200 Watts
Voice Coil: 2.5" Black Alloy DVC
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Free Space Response (Fs): 25.3 Hz
Efficiency (1W/1M): 94.8dB
Frequency Response: 19Hz-1.1kHz
Mounting Diameter: 14.17" / 360mm
Mounting Depth: 6.85" / 174mm
Outside Diameter: 15.35" / 390mm

From memory it uses 2 x 4" ports that are 21" long in a 3 cubic feet box.

As per thread title I was wondering how successfull one could be in building a cut down version of paradigms sub 2 using 3 drivers instead of 6. I am quite good with the wood working part but would need a hand (hint hint) to get the correct dimensions for the ideal sound.

How would 3 x 10" subs compare or even 2 x 10" to my 1 x 15". Generally speaking I guess.

I was looking to use the Seas 10" driver L26ROY or the newer L26RO4Y.

They look to be quite similar spec'd. Need some advice on the better one or alternate speakers please. This appear to be good bang for buck. :)

The 3 x 4 ohm subs can be configured as 12, 2.67 or 1.33 ohms. I am not sure if my sub amp can drive loads less than 4 ohms. I have contacted the manufacturer and am waiting a reply. Thoughts?

Assuming the worse case senario and I need another amp I have read the EP2000 and EP4000 are quite good.
There are also many variations EPX2000 etc.

Hopefully I can get something sorted without too much $$$.
Thanks.

:T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
See attached for web links relating to above post as I could not put them in the message body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
It might be able to drive less than 4 ohms, but I'd be careful. I don't think that plate amps are normally designed for less than 4. Curious to see what the manufacturer says.

I've read mixed things about the Behringers powering 2 ohms, but from what I recall it was mostly test results with a resistive load - not a real driver. If you're closer to 3 ohms, it might not be such a big deal.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
First question I would ask is why drop to 10" drivers, you would be much better running a dual 15" driver sub than a quad driver sub using 10" drivers. The only real reason to use small drivers is if you need to keep cabinet size down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might be able to drive less than 4 ohms, but I'd be careful. I don't think that plate amps are normally designed for less than 4. Curious to see what the manufacturer says.
Had a call back from the manufacturer today. My amp can drive a load down to 0.7 ohms. :) As can all their amps apparently. Although I was warned that not all subs are 4 ohms like stated. When getting that low there is not much room to move. They have had subs saying they were 4 ohms but they were more like 2.8 - 3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
First question I would ask is why drop to 10" drivers, you would be much better running a dual 15" driver sub than a quad driver sub using 10" drivers. The only real reason to use small drivers is if you need to keep cabinet size down.
Just investigating my options. :) I read the making of a Paradigm Sub2 and it got me thinking...Space is not an issue.

What is a reasonable 15" home theater driver...Exodus Tempest-X2 ?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Just investigating my options. :) I read the making of a Paradigm Sub2 and it got me thinking...Space is not an issue.

What is a reasonable 15" home theater driver...Exodus Tempest-X2 ?
There are a few options available really. Ive been using Fi mainly as I am in the UK, for options in the US I generally let the US staff offer the advice for those as they generally have more experience. Exodus, Mal X drivers, and Dayton all seem popular.

In general though, there isnt really an good reason to use smaller drivers other than if you need a smaller cab, and with physical miniaturization comes miniaturization performance wise. Paradigm got round it to a degree by using massive amount of power and very expensive drivers, but you can still only do so much in a compact form factor, and I have no doubt marketability was dictating as compact a form factor as possible for Paradigms top of the line model.

A dual 15" driver sub will compare favourably to the Paradigm, and a dual 18 will be a step up again. Once your talking 4 x 15 or 4 x 18, you will exceed what is possible from the Paradigm sub no question IMHO. I would dare even say a dual 18" driver sub would be preferable, if for nothing else it will cost a fraction of the asking price of the Sub2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a few options available really. Ive been using Fi mainly as I am in the UK, for options in the US I generally let the US staff offer the advice for those as they generally have more experience. Exodus, Mal X drivers, and Dayton all seem popular.
Thanks for the advice :)

Do you know any of the makers that re-sell in Australia? Importing a big heavy driver from the US could run into some expensive freight costs...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Exodus Audio was sold in Australia but no longer are. Affordable Drivers sell Mach 5 Audio products, the IXL-18 is currently out of stock.

http://www.affordabledrivers.com.au/
Thanks I will give them a yell and check an ETA on more stock.
In terms of the build I found the pages below....2 are 6th order bandpass :gulp: and the other is the more conventional method. Should I go ahead with the build should I just borrow one of these designs instead of re inventing the wheel?

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/16301-mach-5-ixl-18-2-2-build-358l-15hz.html

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/bandpass/index.htm

http://www.yourmissus.com/subwoofer/

Thoughts on these? :blink:

EDIT:
What if I was to put 2 of these bad boys in an enclosure. Am I getting a bit carried away?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great! thanks.

So even though it is a 15" sub it has basically the same output as the mentioned 18"?

I will inquire about the hi-pass filter.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
So even though it is a 15" sub it has basically the same output as the mentioned 18"?
Yes, although the more budget oriented 18 may cost less than the more ultra high end 15.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys.

I have emailed the manufacturer of my current driver for the exact specs to see how it compares.

I have searched online for them but as it is an older model I can't seem to find them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, their output is virtually identical.
Hi Mike,

Are you able to do me another favor please. :bigsmile:

I have attached the specs of my current driver. I have the driver in the vented box as per attachment.
Might not be the ideal size enclosure for home theater as the box was designed for cars.

Are you able to model my sub against the 2 as per your first graph. Not sure what the ideal size enclosure would be? Sealed or ported?

Thanks again.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts