Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you up for reviewing a miniDSP 4x10 unit?

I am talking detailed, with screen captures and good explanations of its use with even some explanation of the biquad filters and examples of their results, auto tuning with REW, all that good stuff... etc, etc.

You will share the spotlight with a few other reviews of other miniDSP products, and I do not believe there is a review of the 4x10 yet.

This would need to be a fairly respectable turn around, 30 days or so. I have one coming in from Tony that will be my personal unit, but I will send it out to one of you if you think you can handle it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've been wanting to play with a mini DSP for a while but I'd probably want to keep it afterwards, also not sure I'd use it in my HT lol. Was looking more at using it in my car :). What are you going to use it for Sonnie?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will replace my Behringer 1124p.

The one thing I like about the 4x10 is that it basically takes the place of the dual sub outputs on any receiver or processor that has the Audyssey SubEQ HT feature. You only have to have one sub output and this opens the doors for me to be able to use any receiver or processor that has XT32, but may not have the SubEQ. I will only need one sub output because the 4x10 can serve the same purpose as the SubEQ.

All the SubEQ feature does is set the level and the distance of each sub, then it combines them for equalization. I can set the level and distance (delay) on up to 10 different subs with the 4x10, then let Audyssey equalize everything. This allows Audyssey XT32 to make better use of its high resolution on equalizing the bass. Audyssey does not do a very good job of bass equalization if it has to deal with large peaks in the bass. You will see this when I post up my review of the 4520.

I use the 1124p now to take any peaks out of my sub response prior to running Audyssey, so in addition to using the 4x10 to set levels and distance for all my subs, I will also use it to help eliminate any peaks in the subs before using Audyssey. It also has a remote control, which will come in handy for setting up a couple of presets in the 4x10 and being able to easily switch between them... something I cannot easily do with the BFD 1124p right now since it does not have a remote feature. I find myself usually having to increase the bass for music, so I can set up a macro in my remote to switch to Stereo and set the bass boosted input of the 4x10.

It will make things a lot easier for me... not to mention Tony sent it to me for free. I was gonna buy it, but he wouldn't let me pay for it, so hey, I will take it, but I would like someone to review it first. I may end up reviewing it myself, but I will give someone a shot at it first. It will take someone who understands it and REW pretty well to review it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah they are pretty neat little devices. I've been thinking about ordering one to run a 3 way active front stage plus sub in my car. I need to order a mic this week to get acquainted with REW, I should do that. Been busy and falling behind on stuff but seems like I have some free time finally freeing up to do these reviews. I'll be interested to see what whoever has to say about the 4x10 though. Another neat thing about the MiniDSP programs is they have a rear fill plugin for car use. So with the 4x10 I could run 3 way active fronts, which would use up 6, and then some coax rears, and a sub channel, and still have one port open for maybe a center fill or something. Pretty awesome little devices but not sure how they compare to higher end processors of course sq wise.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would look at the JBL MS-8 for what you want... even has built in amps for rear fill if you want to use them. It would cost less too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah I actually had an MS-8 once, and sold it before I used it as I got scared due to some of the issues. I think they sell for more then the 4x10 as well. Honestly if I use a mini-dsp it'll likely be one of the smaller ones. I was just saying lol.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once you get it in you can do a review on it for us after you have had some time to play around with it. :T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts