Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i would like to ask if it is right to calulate 12 eq filters with REW and then split the first 6 bands to the input equalizer of miniDSP and the rest 6 bands to the output equalizer so as to make it work as 12 band equalizer per channel.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
But if I've read the advice correctly the use of so much EQ isn't advised. Minimalism is the conventional wisdom.

·
Super Moderator
9,274 Posts

But if I've read the advice correctly the use of so much EQ isn't advised. Minimalism is the conventional wisdom.
True. :T However, if you’re equalizing full range, it wouldn’t be unusual to have say, 4 filters for the subs and another 3-4 for the upper range. So, 7-8 total. But yes, 12-20 filters like the OP is asking about – overkill.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Agree with Wayne P, completely. In a recent experiment at Sonnie's place with Audyssey MultQE XT-32 run on his new speakers, we got the same "sound" using 3 bands of parametric EQ, same applied to both sides of the stereo pair, could barely tell a difference between that and the Audyssey setting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another item: I have been playing with REW and a MiniDSP for a few years now, and recently was the first time I tried letting REW compute and export the file directly to MiniDSP. Really easy! No more messy computing Biquads with a spreadsheet. And while I didn't get my Sub perfect, only 6 filters for the "highs" (Bose 901 pair, from 200 Hz up) is nearly flat 200 Hz to 10K Hz. And the sub is reasonably flat with 6 or less EQ's. Pretty impressive software there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts