Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Hi I have system that consists of a Yamaha Z9 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-z9_black__u/ + Denon 3910 http://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/us/dvd3910_ownersmanual.pdf

Can someone please suggest a Minidsp Dirac Live multichannel unit that I could purchase.
Please keep in mind I listen to a lot 2 channel

Thanks in advance
  • NanoAVR DL before the Denon: no additional AD or DA conversions, can only process LPCM, 48 kHz sample rate limit (up to 192k is downsampled to 48k), 2 HDMI inputs (1.2?, 1.3? not 2.0)
  • DDRC88A after the Denon: 96 kHz sample rate limit (up to 192k is downsampled to 96k), additional AD and DA conversions, no limit on types of input data & processing into the Denon, no limit on HDMI inputs

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wayne my inputs & outputs are limited on both the Yamaha Z9 receiver and Denon 3910 DVD player, no HDMI.

Any ideas for connection, currently using ilink

Thanks again

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Thanks Wayne my inputs & outputs are limited on both the Yamaha Z9 receiver and Denon 3910 DVD player, no HDMI.

Any ideas for connection, currently using ilink

Thanks again
  • NanoAVR DL before the Denon: no additional AD or DA conversions, can only process LPCM, 48 kHz sample rate limit (up to 192k is downsampled to 48k), 2 HDMI inputs (1.2?, 1.3? not 2.0)
  • DDRC88A after the Denon: 96 kHz sample rate limit (up to 192k is downsampled to 96k), additional AD and DA conversions, no limit on types of input data & processing into the Denon, no limit on HDMI inputs
Oops, I see I got Denon and Yamaha mixed up in my answer. And I assumed HDMI in the Yamaha. Imagine my surprise!

Lets try again:
I believe I saw pre outs and amp inputs on the back of the Yamaha, right? So you are back to the DDRC88A if you want Dirac on a surround system. If your only concern was 2 ch Dirac, you could use the DDRC-22D on the input side, 96 kHz sample rate limit (see previous explanation), but that stops all non-LPCM processing.

Sorry about the previous hurried answer, it made no sense at all!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Wayne, no worries

Yes the Yamaha Z9 has pre-out-inputs for the front two and centre but no rears.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I think I would go with a DDRC - 22 D on the input side for 2.0 or 2.1 application and possibly for your red left and right in a surround configuration, not worry about the rest of the speakers, use delay settings to match them all up in time. Or go with fewer surround speakers and the DDRC88A on the output side. You could always add an external amplification for that last couple of speakers.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
DDRC - 22 D for 2 channel DIRAC LIVE

If it were my system , I would consider 2 options

A. a multi channel amp like the EMOTIVA XPA5 ($899) add XPA2 (for 7.x system @ $720) use the pre-outs of the Yamaha > DDRC-88A > Emotiva amps.:spend:

B. a new HDMI receiver - a more modest investment :clap:

I assume that you have, at least, considered a new receiver since you have the money to put down on a MiniDSP unit...:whistling:

You ONLY LIVE ONCE - Go for the Emotivas and the DDRC88A !!

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
DDRC - 22 D for 2 channel DIRAC LIVE

If it were my system , I would consider 2 options

A. a multi channel amp like the EMOTIVA XPA5 ($899) add XPA2 (for 7.x system @ $720) use the pre-outs of the Yamaha > DDRC-88A > Emotiva amps.:spend:

B. a new HDMI receiver - a more modest investment :clap:

I assume that you have, at least, considered a new receiver since you have the money to put down on a MiniDSP unit...:whistling:

You ONLY LIVE ONCE - Go for the Emotivas and the DDRC88A !!
I gotta admit, a Home Theater without HDMI is hard to picture. That sounds like the right first step to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,204 Posts

Since the Z9 has pre-amp outputs and amp inputs for the L/R/C channels, he’d only need a two or four channel amp (depending on the number of surround channels he’s using), not a full-blown 7-channel model.

My only concern with the DDRC-88 is that miniDSP does not publish a noise spec for it, as a quiet noise floor is critical for an outboard equalizer. Have you or someone you know used one?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys thank you for your advice

The Z9 is a stayer

Maybe look at the DDRC-88A use it for the fronts + centre.

The Antimode EQ is good but think I could do better. Option would be to get the DDRC - 22A for the front two and use the Antimode for the centre?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I would go with a DDRC - 22 D on the input side for 2.0 or 2.1 application and possibly for your red left and right in a surround configuration, not worry about the rest of the speakers, use delay settings to match them all up in time. Or go with fewer surround speakers and the DDRC88A on the output side. You could always add an external amplification for that last couple of speakers.
Hi Wayne you say 2.1, how do get this with the DDRC-22D, hook up?

Might be missing something here.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Some of us feel that putting BM after the EQ is a big compromise.
Indeed, & I believe I understand the reasons for saying that. As a practical matter, and with some thoughtful use of DL individual target curves, a pretty satisfactory result can be had.
Just curious; why is this a concern? I haven't seen this mentioned before.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Just curious; why is this a concern? I haven't seen this mentioned before.
My understanding is that with BM before the Dirac Live, then DL is being applied to individual driver amps/channels, giving the best control and most predictable result. With DL before BM, DL's affect on low frequencies is not as clear cut, affecting both of the channels that feed into the BM. If designing or building a new "idealized" system, BM before DL is probably the ideal to shoot for.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My understanding is that with BM before the Dirac Live, then DL is being applied to individual driver amps/channels, giving the best control and most predictable result. With DL before BM, DL's affect on low frequencies is not as clear cut, affecting both of the channels that feed into the BM. If designing or building a new "idealized" system, BM before DL is probably the ideal to shoot for.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi guys thank you

Maybe the DDRC 22A would be better?

Or maybe get the DDRC 88A? for any updates in the future for gear?
Do I have to use all the channels in the 88A?

Thanks you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts