Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

381 - 400 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Rob41, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question. When did you order your UMIK-1? I'm still waiting on a shipping notice and am trying to get an idea of where I'm at.

(I emailed MiniDSP a few days ago and haven't heard back, currently my order is just showing as "confirmed")

·
Registered
26 Posts
snowmanick, I placed my order on the 2/18. I too just had the "confirmed" email until the day they shipped. Once shipped it only took 5 days to arrive.

Looking at the miniDSP website I can see shipments for the UMIK-1 mic are delayed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine was shipped out on the 7th, so hopefully I get it next week..I'm pretty new to all this, but it would have been nice to get lower than 20Hz measurement, but I'm still looking forward to getting it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
...it would have been nice to get lower than 20Hz measurement...
I have a strong feeling they have the below 20Hz data but are resisting releasing it due to tolerance issue... I don't care if the calibrated values fall a little outside the tolerance, its surely better than no values at all. Perhaps if I start a thread to petition the miniDSP people to release this data to us UMIK owners so we can decide whether we wish to incorporate those value in our calibration file or not instead of them making the decision for us... but then we have to get enough UMIK owners onboard (to post in that thread) to get some attention.

EDIT: here is the thread I just started over there... we get enough UMIK owners to ask for this option and I bet they will release the full cal data for us.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a strong feeling they have the below 20Hz data but are resisting releasing it due to tolerance issue... I don't care if the calibrated values fall a little outside the tolerance, its surely better than no values at all. Perhaps if I start a thread to petition the miniDSP people to release this data to us UMIK owners so we can decide whether we wish to incorporate those value in our calibration file or not instead of them making the decision for us... but then we have to get enough UMIK owners onboard (to post in that thread) to get some attention.

EDIT: here is the thread I just started over there... we get enough UMIK owners to ask for this option and I bet they will release the full cal data for us.
I have to agree with that idea, unless of course it would make the mic inconsistent across the whole frequency range to use the other file..I'm still very excited about getting it ( although I have so much to learn ), and I'm already very impressed with the speed that it's travelling at, it was already in Richmond BC:unbelievable::clap::clap:, I'm guessing it will show up very soon...now to figure out REW:nerd::sweat:

I'll check out your other thread right now..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Others may already be aware of this but it was new to me. A couple weeks went by after receiving my UMIK-1 and the miniDSP 4x10 and I get a bill in the mail for $34.63. I'm sure it's kosher but is something I hadn't thought of. The charges are the import fees and taxes. If you're getting just the mic it will surely be much less.

Just thought I'd pass this along so nobody gets surprised.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Others may already be aware of this but it was new to me. A couple weeks went by after receiving my UMIK-1 and the miniDSP 4x10 and I get a bill in the mail for $34.63. I'm sure it's kosher but is something I hadn't thought of. The charges are the import fees and taxes. If you're getting just the mic it will surely be much less.

Just thought I'd pass this along so nobody gets surprised.
That's weird. I ordered the UMIK awhile ago, got the replacement a couple weeks ago, and I think it's been a couple weeks since I received my 2X4 and I haven't gotten any import fees or charges. I wonder if they're on the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe it had something to do with the way they shipped mine. For some reason they sent my stuff through Fedex. Could be something to do with the way Fedex process imports as opposed to speedpost and USPS?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't pay it! Something sounds mighty fishy about that... are you sure its not some sort of scam? I received my UMIK back on Feb 9 and later my miniDSP arrived on Feb 20 and I never got any sort of charges whatsoever... in fact, I've gotten (a lot of) stuff from Hong Kong in the past and have never been charged any kind of import fees or taxes ever. I think its bogus and I would inquire a bit further about it... and I too live in Michigan.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it shipped FedEx it might be a brokerage fee which they charge sometimes. I've received bills after the fact like that before. I prefer USPS because they only charge duties & tax. Easiest way to find out if its legit is to call FedEx. Use the number on their Webpage instead of what's on the bill as scammers are getting really god at this stuff.

On a side note I've yet to receive my mic. I bought it on the 3rd or something and while they did email me about the delay I have yet to hear back from them despite a request for a shipping update.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yep scammers are at a abundance.
Only way to find out is phone the oppropiate company without opening or clicking on a link.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had Fedex send me bills afterwards for brokerage fees, but recently, they just call for a credit card number instead. I really give MiniDSP credit for getting my UMIK to Canada ( Vancouver ) and through customs, in a shorter timeframe than Canada Post can ship it from Vancouver to Saskatchewan! Canada Post really dropped the ball here..the mic has been sitting in Saskatoon ( about 90km away from here ) since yesterday morning:scratch: I'm guessing it'll show up today though ( yay! Pat yourselves on the back Canada Post-or maybe punch yourselves in the face:boxer: ) In any case, I'm excited to try REW for the first time!

**update**

I just picked up the mic from the post office. First impression, it looks/feels like a quality unit ( I have no previous experience with another mic, or any in room equalization/correction software, but the mic feels heavy and of good quality ). I can't wait to start learning..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just an update:

I called the Fedex number from the internet and was able to verify the invoice for "Duties, Tax, Customs, Other Fees" was in fact correct. Not a big deal having to pony up the additional $34.63 but I just wanted to be sure the bill was legit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just ordered the Mini DSP 2x4 and the umik-1 for my laptop and HT (5.2)...excited about this product.

People mention HDMI out on their soundcard...now, I have an HDMI out on my laptop...and can play video and sound through it, would that be sufficient? Soundcard is Realtek HD...

Also, would I just choose any hdmi in on my A/V receiver? I use a Denon 2309...

Thanks guys, and it has been a good read going through this thread!

Cheers,

McStyvie

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, just pick any HDMI input and when you're ready switch your AVR over to it. Be sure to download your UMIK calibration file and also download one of the free USB ASIO drivers (here's a link to one ASIO4ALL is a good free universal driver) then start REW. Click on "Preferences" and on the drop down under Drivers, select ASIO and you should now see a button ASIO Control Panel (go in there and select your card)... you can now select individual channels (making a selection under "Output" and another selection for "Timing Reference Output" will allow you two channels at a time) Channel 4 should be your sub. Can't remember for sure right now but I think REW automatically finds the UMIK and selects it and loads the calibration file in for you... if not, you can just select the Mic/Meter tab (you're still on the Preference screen) and select the Z weight radio button and browse to the location of the calibration file and your done. Click on "Measurement" and enjoy... with REW you will begin to feel empowered as you start to discover so many things about your acoustical space and how your equipment interacts within it.

EDIT: Also if you should find you only have 2 channels to select from under Output then go into your sound card properties and change from stereo output to 7.1 channel sound. HDMI keeps it all-digital and makes selecting speakers and combination of speakers as simple as selecting from a drop-down.

I just got around to playing with my miniDSP yesterday (yesterday was the first free time I've had all to myself in weeks) and all I can say is WOW! is it powerful yet it's very simple to operate PLUS you can immediately verify every change right after you make it with REW... keep both programs opened at the same time and switch back and forth between windows, that miniDSP is AMAZING!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was up until the wee hours if the morning trying to figure this out..do I need to calibrate my sound card on my iMac to use the UMIK-1 with REW ? If so, do I just plug the headphone jack into the mic jack?

I've read so much that my head is going to explode lol. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've read several times on this forum that USB mics really don't need to have sound card calibration performed however if you really want to do it... if I remember correctly from the days when I was using my RS SPL meter, you loop line in and line out... you'll need adapters to isolate a single channel from the stereo jacks (I usually pick the right channel and then select it in REW) then you need to select the correct Output and Input in REW and that can sometimes be difficult to do (at least it was for me) try every combination Inputs and Outputs until the graph looks right (similar to the one in the help files).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh buddy, I hope you're right..I would prefer not to have to do that( I would have to hits one kind of input interface to do it like you described )

The reason I thought I needed to do it, is because REW prompts me to do it when I push the 'Measure' button.

I would really like to skip it altogether but I'm not sure that my measurements would be accurate if I skip that step.

381 - 400 of 887 Posts