Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

421 - 440 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
...How is their support for their other products that you know off?...
I only own two of their products but that alone has given me the occasion to visit their help forum a number of times in the last month and a half and the observation I've made is that the DevTeam (don't know if this "Team" consists of more than one person or not) doesn't visit very often and much less so as of late. Appears to maybe drop in once a week, if that. to answer three or four posts and that's it. I THINK they are somewhat responsive to glitches on the programming side of things but again doesn't communicate well... stuff just appears when it appears. So far I've not been too impressed with that help forum, that's for sure...

...What advantages (outside UMIK issues) does the UMM-6 have over UMIK?...
I wouldn't be the one to answer this since I don't own a UMM-6 but I would suggest that there no advantages over the UMIK except that its calibration file contains below 20Hz data... down to 5Hz to be exact... but that is a pretty important advantage really when you get to thinking about what most of us are trying to accomplish in our theaters.

...My room has got a mode at 37hz that has been dealt with + other issues.
Very versitile to date, auto calibration up to 80hz or 150hz or 350hz or 500hz, with manual PEQ for full range. Also other setups that i have not approached.
Ah but will it do crossovers? high-shelf, low-shelf filters? allow you to tailor the in-room response yourself through tweaking of PEQ, delays, gains, for each of 4 or more outputs? I really don't know anything about the Antimode but I thought it was a push button operation... if so, I believe I would much prefer to have the control over the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Umik and Macbook pro, when i use the Spl meter somehow the readings are odd to me.
In a room with no music playing the meter is somewhere near the 60db, that cant be right. Or is there something that im missing.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Only seen the basics so far.

Ah but will it do crossovers?
Yes

high-shelf, low-shelf filters?
Yes

allow you to tailor the in-room response yourself through tweaking of PEQ, delays, gains, for each of 4 or more outputs?
Yes, the PEQ (16 x filters per channel) is very powerful, but only pays to use in moderation anyway.

I really don't know anything about the Antimode but I thought it was a push button operation... if so, I believe I would much prefer to have the control over the process.

Also has a Auto calibration which is very accurate.

Also has Multiple Measurement/Calibration options.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have Umik and Macbook pro, when i use the Spl meter somehow the readings are odd to me.
In a room with no music playing the meter is somewhere near the 60db, that cant be right. Or is there something that im missing.

Not saying there is not a problem with the reading.

Have you got access to a SPL meter that you can borrow to give you an idea?

Do you live in a main road (sometimes we can't hear).

Mics etc are alot more sensitive more than our ears.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Okay you got me curious enough that I went to the dspeaker website and read a little about it. WOW is that thing pricey? Too rich for me... whew.

This dual-core model appears to be for a two channel set-up only... the last time I remember reading about the Antimode it was the 8033 model that apparently had a single channel that most people used to tune in their sub... so this thing is something new to me. Seems to do a lot of stuff... so how good is it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
...is there something that im missing.
This is from the last DevTeam communication over on the miniDSP UMIK help forum... it was posted about a month ago... make of it what you will.

"many tests later, we can confirm so far that the sensitivity data is correct (-21dBFS for second batch). So what was initially thought to be a calibration file issue doesn't seem like it. That sensitivity data is indeed correct and can be reproduced by reading the dBFS reading from the USB Audio driver @ 1kHz 94dBSPL.

What's yet to be investigated is why the respective SPL reading is incorrect in REW (6dB difference). We're now in talks with John (Author of REW) to understand what's happening behind the scenes. We'll update the community once we hear back.

In the mean time, if you want to make an accurate SPL reading with SN 190~480, you should clear the calibration file and you'll get a reading that's quite close."

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Okay you got me curious enough that I went to the dspeaker website and read a little about it. WOW is that thing pricey? Too rich for me... whew.
Not cheap but in comparison with others over here, not bad at all. Cheaper than what i paid for the SVS ASEQ-1, this only dealt with subs as you probaly know.

This dual-core model appears to be for a two channel set-up only
Sitting currently in my Yamaha Z9 receiver operating my mains, but can also operate subs as Stereo or Mono.

Seems to do a lot of stuff... so how good is it?
Yes it does and i have only touched on the basics.

So far i am impressed with the results and manual PEQ capibilties.
My wifes listening test said that the sound was more "natural and clean". I had absolutely no influence on what she said.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My wifes listening test said that the sound was more "natural and clean". I had absolutely no influence on what she said.
I agree. While I only have the 8033C it made a huge difference in evening out the response of my sub in my room. When I got it awhile back I didn't want to mess with a mic, amp, EQ's and REW for hours but since these USB mics have come out I want to see exactly what is happening in my room. I ended up ordering the UMM-6.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I haven't read the entire thread but the gist of it is that this mic is inaccurate for BELOW 20 hz response? So Cross Spectrum could calibrate it to be accurate throughout the frequency response, including down deep?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't read the entire thread but the gist of it is that this mic is inaccurate for BELOW 20 hz response? So Cross Spectrum could calibrate it to be accurate throughout the frequency response, including down deep?
Yes, but if you are budget conscious then there are other cheaper alternatives than purchasing a UMIK for $95 (that includes shipping) and then a Cross-Spectrum calibration for $55-$75 (which doesn't include shipping to their facilities) which would work out to a total of $155-$175... most people might feel they could do better for cheaper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
About the UMIK's sensitivity factor in the calibration file...

Last night I got a little bored and so I decided to play around with setting up my miniDSP again (I love creating new EQ filters to match my targets... the more I do this the better I get at it and the more I'm learning about how to properly integrate my subs)...

Anyway, at one point I got to doing a comparison between the SPL meter in REW verses what Audyssey sets the levels at and also what my RS SPL meter reads... the conclusion I've come up with is if I lower the UMIK's calibration file sensitivity factor by -9 or -10dBs everything agrees and the noise floor stays solid in the forties which is also reasonable.

·
Registered
335 Posts
monomer said:
Yes, but if you are budget conscious then there are other cheaper alternatives than purchasing a UMIK for $95 (that includes shipping) and then a Cross-Spectrum calibration for $55-$75 (which doesn't include shipping to their facilities) which would work out to a total of $155-$175... most people might feel they could do better for cheaper.
Hi. Basically I'm looking for a "plug and play" solution. I don't want to buy a separate phantom power unit, and a separate sound card. The UMIK is nice because it's self-contained.

Are there any alternatives to the UMIK that are better and also self-contained? As I understand it, all I need to do measurements is the UMIK and my notebook. I don't want additional hardware.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As far as I know, the UMIK is the only "plug-n-play" USB option out right now... however it really isn't any more than a few mouse clicks to get a UMM-6 working in REW but what you get is below 20Hz calibration data. If you have a capable subwoofer you'll soon realize just how important that is when you don't have a file that goes below 20Hz and that's the real problem with the UMIKs currently... definitely worth a few extra mouse clicks to set-up an UMM-6 in REW (you'll only need to do it the first time). The only difference besides the below 20Hz response is that the UMIK supplies a sensitivity factor in its calibration file that the UMM-6 doesn't, however there is no disputing that that factor is incorrect and the current discussion centers around by how much... so that sort of neutralize that advantage, and besides for most of what your are intending to do a calibrated SPL isn't going to be important. I own a UMIK and I want so much to like it and for most everything I'm doing I really do like it however the one short-coming (no below 20Hz calibration data) is a major one I believe. Hopefully in the future the UMIK manufacture will release that data and then it will be best choice out there but 'til then I can't recommend it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
But correct me if I'm wrong, the UMM-6 requires additional hardware to run? So it's not just a few mouse clicks, it's a few other things as well, right?

But you are telling me that if I bought the UMIK and had it calibrated by Cross Spectrum then all would be fine? It just would be a little pricey? I had my Galaxy CM-140 calibrated by them. I just want a solution that is simple to use and accurate. I don't mind paying more ... assuming the results would be accurate down low but I absolutely don't want a couple of things to lug around with me when I want to do a room measurement, hence why the UMIK seems like a good idea.

If price wasn't an issue, would you have anything against having it calibrated by Cross Spectrum?

·
Registered
169 Posts
No, they are both USB mics and therefore get their power thru the USB connector. You might be confusing it with the EMM-6 which does require phantom power... the U in the UMM-6 model designation I'm pretty sure must stand for USB. I have an EMM-6 (got it on sale from Parts Express, I think $29) and an Art USB dual pre-amp (got it offa eBay, one channel was busted for $36 shipped) that together cost me less ($65 total) than my UMIK did ($95)... of the two, I prefer using the UMIK.

...If price wasn't an issue...
If price were not an issue? hard for me to imagine... but really cost is the only downside I can see.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So basically the UMM-6 is sort of plug and play ... and has better accuracy below 20 Hz. The UMIK is a little easier to use but to get the response as accurate below 20 Hz will end up costing quite a bit more than the UMM-6 as it would need a calibration.

I think I understand. : )

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
So basically the UMM-6 is sort of plug and play
The UMM-6 mic is plug and play, you might have to the first time only click a extra couple of times but then after that it would be the same as the UMIK.

... and has better accuracy below 20 Hz.
Absolutely

The UMIK is a little easier to use
Where do you see that the UMM-6 is more difficult to use?

but to get the response as accurate below 20 Hz will end up costing quite a bit more than the UMM-6 as it would need a calibration.
Because you have a SPL meter that is calibrated i would personally go with the UMM-6 and calibrate the UMM-6 SPL with the SPL meter (you would haver best of both worlds).

Personally i would trust the calibration form Cross - Spectrum.

Your choice

1. UMIK that is calibration down to 20hz with SPL data that at this stage is inconsistent, and you would use the SPL meter to calibrate the mic anyway.

or

2. UMM-6 that is calibrated down to 5hz, then you calibrate the SPL with your SPL meter.

Hope this helps

Do you plan in getting any EQ?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Phillips said:
Because you have a SPL meter that is calibrated i would personally go with the UMM-6 and calibrate the UMM-6 SPL with the SPL meter (you would haver best of both worlds).
I don't know to what frequency my SPL meter was calibrated. I just know the levels are accurate, but I don't know if response below 20 Hz is reliable or not. Have the CM-140 with the verified calibration from Cross Spectrum.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Phillips said:
UMM-6 that is calibrated down to 5hz, then you calibrate the SPL with your SPL meter.
Is there is a guide on using the UMM-6 with Room EQ wizard? How easy would it be to calibrate the SPL with my SPL meter? I've never used a dedicated condenser mic before.

421 - 440 of 887 Posts