Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

541 - 560 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, it's not necessary to send it registered airmail. It's funny but they credited my paypal account just a day after I sent it back. I emailed them a photo of the shipping receipt and followed their direction completely. I was very surprised to get my refund before the package could have been delivered. The shipping charge was about $15.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, it's not necessary to send it registered airmail. It's funny but they credited my paypal account just a day after I sent it back. I emailed them a photo of the shipping receipt and followed their direction completely. I was very surprised to get my refund before the package could have been delivered. The shipping charge was about $15.
Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from the Post Office... its now in the mail, on its way to Hong Kong. The desk clerk estimated it would take 6-10 days to get there but you know the Post Office, there are no guarantees. Cost was $1.49 for the padded envelope and $12.75 for the shipping, I stuck copies of the receipts in the envelope with the UMIK and just now sent them an email with the attached scanned copies of the receipts... it sounds redundant but its what they are requesting... I will post back here the moment I get confirmation of a refund into my PayPal account.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's sounds like good service to me..what we as consumers have to understand is that there is a lot of effort going on in the background that we are completely unaware of, and many companies simply don't have the time of manpower to update us every step of the way..it's tougher than it looks from our perspective.

I will likely send my mic back, and order a 3rd generation mic if that's a viable option..I haven't had time to email MiniDSP to find out, but it's on the list.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have one of the first generation UMIK-1's with the original calibration file and it to the best of my knowledge has worked OK. Are they asking for all the UMIK's back for a refund or only the second generation?

·
Registered
169 Posts
...Are they asking for all the UMIK's back for a refund or only the second generation?
This is not a recall... they are not asking for returns of UMIKs. If you are satisfied with your UMIK's performance then do nothing. What they are offering is an option to return your UMIK for a refund if you are not satisfied with its performance... there is another option for those with a "noisy" UMIK, you can alternatively choose to receive an upgraded board that you simply solder in replacing the original board. This is for first batch and second batch UMIKs as third batch UMIKs already have the revised board design. Again this is NOT a recall, if you are satisfied with your UMIK then you do nothing. These measures were implemented to satisfy those of us who've had an issue.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have never measured my downstairs system which has a sub with variable tuning from 18hz to 35hz so I thought this would be a good place to check the accuracy of my UMIK-1. Turns out it does not make much of a difference at all, the UMIK is not measuring correctly down low, my SMS-1 is picking up the different tuning points though. Now I know that my friends Omni-mic was the one that was more accurate when we were comparing, I thought my UMIK-1 was because of the 5hz calibration.

I have went ahead and contacted MiniDSP for a return.......blahhhh

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been made "whole" again... just been notified of a full refund back into my Paypal account. Thank you, miniDSP.

Note: I do own a miniDSP and love it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
monomer i think that everyone on this thread has you to thank for this problem solving, communication from MiniDSP would have been non existent if not for you as far as i could see.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Indeed, thanks is in order to all who made contributions of their time and energy getting to a full understanding of the issues and communicating with MiniDSP. And appreciation to MiniDSP for going all out to be sure all UMIK-1 users are satisfied. Hopefully this ends up a happy ending (win-win) for all concerned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I forgot to add this after I received my UMIK from CSL but better late than never. Here are the two cal files overlaid. The dark line is CSL (0 degree narrow band) and the light one is Mini DSP.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I forgot to add this after I received my UMIK from CSL but better late than never. Here are the two cal files overlaid. The dark line is CSL (0 degree narrow band) and the light one is Mini DSP.

Interesting

Good thing is you can load the CSL file into every measurement you have saved (when measuring with the UMIK), to get the up to date accurate measurement.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Big thanks to this thread and for everyone who helped on it. I would have never known my calibration file down to 5hz was off on my first gen Umik and just received my refund from MiniDSP.

That's really good customer service from them and they will continue to get my business in the future.

A little off topic but has anyone used there OpenDRC products? I was particularly interested in the Analog version that has actual XLR inputs and outputs and comes as a more complete version than the normal MiniDSP balanced. Just looking for DSP control over my subs for an LT and such without the hassles of finding the right power supply and hooking up phoenix connectors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wait, he's got them for sale already? Can't find them on the website. Or was that privately done?
No this was privately done. I bought my UMIK from MiniDSP and then sent it to CSL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one of the first generation UMIK-1's with the original calibration file and it to the best of my knowledge has worked OK. Are they asking for all the UMIK's back for a refund or only the second generation?
I also have an earlier one (#95) and am not certain what the options are. Have an email in to miniDSP, but am going on vacation and probably won't easily get mail for a week...

I have a drastically different new cal file, compared to my old one, haven't had the time to check noise level for the noise problem. I'm wondering why I and others I've seen posted, have a large peak now around 10khz, where the old file is pretty flat up there. Had been getting the impression that this is just a low end issue. Bothers me that they're so different you'd think completely different mic's....

OTOH, our example of a CSL cal'ed mic, and a lot of other small capsule based ones, have that high end peak. So, it's likely real. Maybe. I really can't say... So can I trust the new cal? That's the problem. :scratch:

Let's see if the pic link works: Aha.. it does, but I need to up the pic size... You can always follow the link if you cant read it. Dark is original 5hz file from around January, lighter Blue is current file from a couple days ago...
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
169 Posts
...am going on vacation and probably won't easily get mail for a week...
In that case you'd better hurry up and make up your mind on what you are going to do because there is a deadline on taking advantage of those options miniDSP is offering... its May 16th I believe... that's like next week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doh, I almost ordered a Umik-1, glad I saw this thread. Does anyone know when the third generation will be available to order?

541 - 560 of 887 Posts