Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A few db, a few Hz, nothing too significant. I know I read somewhere the UMIK-1 has more information in the cal file, but don't quote me on that.
Thanks for that

The other USB mics dont have any advantages over the UMIK other than few db, few Hz?

Something about ADC, what is this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for that

The other USB mics dont have any advantages over the UMIK other than few db, few Hz?

Something about ADC, what is this?
Actually it's the UMIK that has that advantage over the Dayton. It basically means that it has a built in "sound card" which encodes the audio file at 24 bits and either 44.1 or 48kHz

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Actually it's the UMIK that has that advantage over the Dayton. It basically means that it has a built in "sound card" which encodes the audio file at 24 bits and either 44.1 or 48kHz
So you don't use the laptops soundcard at all?

Currently i use the Omnimic with my laptop soundcard which has produced very good results, once the soundcard was produced.

I wonder if there will be any advantages with the new REW update for the Omnimic?

Currently i can only use single sweep, and have no loopback, which i beleive John is looking at.

One thing i like is the portability of the USB mic, which is obvious.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So you don't use the laptops soundcard at all?

Currently i use the Omnimic with my laptop soundcard which has produced very good results, once the soundcard was produced.

I wonder if there will be any advantages with the new REW update for the Omnimic?

Currently i can only use single sweep, and have no loopback, which i beleive John is looking at.

One thing i like is the portability of the USB mic, which is obvious.
You don't use the laptop or computer soundcard for input at all, it is all handled by the UMIK. For output you still use whatever soundcard you have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all.

Recently received the Umik1 and I am having some problems with my setup in Rew. I have loaded the Mic's Cal file into the REW system and it is recognised

This is what I have.

PC running SOtM PCIe USB3 into USB into Audiophilleo2 into NAD digital Amp. The driver for the SOtM is it's own design. I use JRiver V16 and it runs in Inclusive use with the AP2.

When I go to REW preferences to set up have the following..

Soundcard -

I can select 44.1 - output is Audiophilleo2 - input is Mic Umik1

Using - Main speaker to check levels

Calibration file is - Umik 1

Mic/Metre

C-Weighted ticked (no Z weight available on screen)
Cal file is selected as - Umik1.cal

Analysis - loop back 'Un-ticked"

I can get audio out through my speakers but I get no input reading on either left or right meters

I have nothing to adjust the levels with via the Audiophilleo2.

My soundcard is a realtek but it is bypassed in this config.

Any suggestions?

Regards Cazzesman

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Hi all.

Recently received the Umik1 and I am having some problems with my setup in Rew. I have loaded the Mic's Cal file into the REW system and it is recognised

This is what I have.

PC running SOtM PCIe USB3 into USB into Audiophilleo2 into NAD digital Amp. The driver for the SOtM is it's own design. I use JRiver V16 and it runs in Inclusive use with the AP2.

When I go to REW preferences to set up have the following..

Soundcard -

I can select 44.1 - output is Audiophilleo2 - input is Mic Umik1

Using - Main speaker to check levels

Calibration file is - Umik 1

Mic/Metre

C-Weighted ticked (no Z weight available on screen)
Cal file is selected as - Umik1.cal

Analysis - loop back 'Un-ticked"

I can get audio out through my speakers but I get no input reading on either left or right meters

I have nothing to adjust the levels with via the Audiophilleo2.

My soundcard is a realtek but it is bypassed in this config.

Any suggestions?

Regards Cazzesman
This might not be it at all, if you are using a USB3 interface for the UMIK-1, I have heard elsewhere that some audio devices do not play well with USB3. You would think that with backward compatibility there should be no issues, but others have had trouble running USB2 devices into USB3. Do you have a USB2 that you can try it with? As I said, not a guaranteed fix, just something to try. That is all that comes to mind for me.

Best of luck.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Recently received the Umik1 and I am having some problems with my setup in Rew.
To control the input volume for the UMIK you will need to use the Windows volume control. You should also untick C weighting, that is only for use with a C-weighted SPL meter.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I received the one I ordered today... 5 days from Hong Kong to Alabama... not bad. All is is good condition here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just made my order; hope it arrives soon. From what I have read, this should be what I need, to be able to see the difference audyssey is making with the sound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just as an update, I'm still trying to work with miniDSP on my broken box. They take between 2-3 days to respond to e-mails, although I'm on day 2 since I last e-mailed them and don't have much hope for tomorrow. I really don't think this process should have taken this long, nor do I think Parts Express would have strung me along for a week if I had an issue.

To be fair, miniDSP customer service has always been pleasant and has never rejected my request for a new box or a new mic, but they don't really seem to be answering my questions definitively which then necessitates another e-mail and another wait, then another e-mail and another wait etc etc. I feel as though if I had bought a dayton mic, had this problem, and contacted parts express it would have been worked out in a day or two and I'd probably have a new mic by now.

Thinking about picking up the Dayton mic at this point and just shipping the miniDSP UMIK back.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I wouldn't let a cracked box cause me to send a good mic back. I believe you will eventually get a good box.

Even when I was dealing with Tony on sponsorship we were several days between emails.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't let a cracked box cause me to send a good mic back. I believe you will eventually get a good box.

Even when I was dealing with Tony on sponsorship we were several days between emails.
It's not the cracked box that would give me cause to send it back, it's the lack of protocols and the accompanying somewhat vague answers. I don't see the Dayton as an inferior mic, at least right now, and I know how good the customer service is at parts express since I've dealt with them several times.

However, so far, in dealing with miniDSP I explained my broken box problem, said I would like a replacement box because I plan to take this mic with me and need a functioning travel box. I also explained that the mic was not firmly planted in the box when it arrived due to the clasp breaking and the box opening and asked if there could be any potential problems due the the increased jostling it received.

I got a response a few days later saying it would cost the same to ship a new box or new box and mic and that it would be easiest to ship a new mic. I said that was fine, but asked how they would reimburse the cost of shipping the old mic back, (they said they would do so) and if they wouldn't ship the new mic until they had received the old one back since that wasn't made clear.

I then got a somewhat contradictory e-mail back saying that if I was having technical issues with the mic they would ship me a new one, otherwise they'd be shipping me a new box Monday. I explained that I was having a few connection issues and asked if the rolloff in the upper frequencies was normal and have yet to hear back.

Based on my past experiences with parts express the first response I would have gotten back would read something like, Sorry to hear you had trouble here's a return label to ship us back the broken one and we'll ship you out a new one.

That's what I'm looking for in terms of customer service. I don't think miniDSP has bad customer service, I'm just not experiencing the clarity and decisiveness I'm used to. What I wished miniDSP had said was either "we're sending you a new box" or "here's a return label we'll ship your new mic out immediately/when we receive the old one" Pretty simply stuff IMHO.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I thought you posted several comparisons with your Behringer mic and they were similar in response... so are there new response issues you are having?

I definitely would not take a chance... and if you are happy with the Dayton mic and not happy with the customer service of miniDSP, send their mic back and get a refund. You had an unfortunate situation.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yeah... my package was fine, but also have not tested the mic yet. I want to compare it with my IBF and ECM.

Hopefully Alex's issue is the exception and Tony can get the customer service worked out. I think this is part of their expanding/growing pangs, as I have not heard of any customer service issues with their main line product. I was rather impressed with the order process and it arriving from Hong Kong in 5 days.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I think I am going to pick up one of these but after the holidays as things are too hectic right now.

I also am hoping to see if most are using there laptops internal sound card with success out of the headphone outs. Being able to just plug in the mic and run the test tones from the internal sound card would be the ultimate so I have my fingers crossed.

I am really looking forward to running the new REW that was just released yesterday.

41 - 60 of 887 Posts