Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

581 - 600 of 887 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Did you receive an email for shipping and how many days did it take from the time you ordered? I just ask because it was said that supply was limited and wondering if I will get mine any time soon.
I'm completely caught up on UMIK-1 orders (and almost caught up on EMM-6/Galaxy orders, I should get through my backlog by tomorrow). If you ordered one but haven't received an email from USPS with your tracking information, PM or email me and I'll send your tracking number.

As for limited supplies, disregard that, the miniDSP rep informed me that they have enough stock built up to allow me to reorder.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Got mine today from CSL! Did a couple measurements. The sensitivity thing is throwing me off a little. Factory cal file says -8.4 dB. CSL cal file does not include. Input signal is well below the output signal when setting levels. SPL cal was done with a RS meter and afterwards says max SPL is 105 dB. Mic is supposed to be good to 130 dB so I'm thinking I need to add the factory sensitivity to the cal file?
According to miniDSP, newer mics have a default attenuation of -12 dB (that should show up when you select the microphone in the input device settings of REW or whatever program). If you are getting a max SPL of 105 dB, 105 dB + 8.4 dB (factory sensitivity) + 12 dB (default attenuation) gives 125.4 dB, which is pretty close to the 130 dB spec.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Did you receive an email for shipping and how many days did it take from the time you ordered? I just ask because it was said that supply was limited and wondering if I will get mine any time soon.

Also, how about some screen shots of the calibration files to compare against.

I understand that for now the Sensitivity data will not accompany the CSL cal. file due to issues with potential conflicts of other accoustic analysis software and some other details. So, SPL should just be calibrated as you did with your RS meter against REW's SPL software meter
Yes, but it seems to limit my measurement capabilities (SPL). I think I'm going to try and add the factory sensitivity cal to the CSL cal file. I can still verify with my RS meter.

Wait, maybe that SPL limit just has to do with clipping. It's been a while since I've done this. Need to play around a bit.

Anyway, the notification I got was from USPS and it arrived two days later. I will try to post curves in a bit.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Here is a graph comparing calibration files I received with my UMIK-1. Factory cal looks pretty good but would give you optimistic low frequency results compared to CSL's files and could be inaccurate up high depending on microphone orientation. Also to note is the factory cuts off at 10 Hz and 20 kHz compared to 5 Hz and 25 kHz for the CSL file.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
to add the factory sensitivity to the cal file?
Was wondering...In order to add the MiniDSP sensitivity number to the CSL cal file, do I just copy-n-paste the "Sens Factor =-#dB" line to the top? Do I need the quotes? And will it throw anything off?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Was wondering...In order to add the MiniDSP sensitivity number to the CSL cal file, do I just copy-n-paste the "Sens Factor =-#dB" line to the top? Do I need the quotes? And will it throw anything off?

Copy and paste what ever is in the Minidsp file into the top of the CSL file (first line).

All it does is adjust the SPL, to be close to absolute.

If you have a SPL meter you can double check.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Copy and paste what ever is in the Minidsp file into the top of the CSL file (first line).

All it does is adjust the SPL, to be close to absolute.

If you have a SPL meter you can double check.
Thanks, I suspected that would do it. Just wanted to be sure. :sn:

BTW, do you guys use the little foam windscreen that came with the mic?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thanks, I suspected that would do it. Just wanted to be sure. :sn:

BTW, do you guys use the little foam windscreen that came with the mic?

I don't for my other mic.

I would email or post Herb, depends if he used it when he calibrated it. I would doubt that he would off.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

I would email or post Herb, depends if he used it when he calibrated it. I would doubt that he would off.
I don't use the windscreen when making the measurements. It basically makes a roughly 0.5 to 1 dB difference above 15 kHz or so:

·
Registered
151 Posts

I don't use the windscreen when making the measurements. It basically makes a roughly 0.5 to 1 dB difference above 15 kHz or so:

Thank you for the info, good to know that.

Herb, thanks for the mic and your cal. service! :sn:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I kinda thought it was also to reduce breathing noises from humans that are speaking/singing directly into the mic... which is also turbulence related.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I kinda thought it was also to reduce breathing noises from humans that are speaking/singing directly into the mic... which is also turbulence related.
For vocal mics (which the UMM-6/UMIK-1/EMM-6/ECM8000 are definitely not) true, although again, the one that comes with these low-cost measurement mics are so small I doubt they would provide any benefit.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
The purpose of windscreen, other than protection?
Protection is the only reason. The mic is certainly calibrated without windscreen in place. With a calibration mic, breath noise is not an issue, and wind noise is not an issue unless making speaker measurements outside to escape room effects.

I would leave it on, though, for a little extra protection from dust and gunk, and from me accidentally bumping or dropping it on a klutzy day. The minor rolloff above 10 KHz is annoying but of little actual consequence. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Protection is the only reason. The mic is certainly calibrated without windscreen in place. With a calibration mic, breath noise is not an issue, and wind noise is not an issue unless making speaker measurements outside to escape room effects.

I would leave it on, though, for a little extra protection from dust and gunk, and from me accidentally bumping or dropping it on a klutzy day. The minor rolloff above 10 KHz is annoying but of little actual consequence. My 2 cents worth.
Agree

Probably a good idea would be to take measurements with on and off and see the difference with your individual mic and keep that in mind for future measurements.

Depending on measurement frequency targets e.g. 15 - 500hz use the windscreen vs 500 - 20.000hz remove the windscreen.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I am really disappointed I ordered mine from miniDSP and not CSL ( was before they sold them). After my order was placed I contacted CSL and found out they were going to provide calibrated UMIK-1, what a bummer. It's not cost effective to send mine in for a calibration at $55. :no:
Depends what batch you have.

Maybe you can send back to MiniDSP if the deal hasn't expired?

If it has i would email them and explain you were not aware of the problem until now etc, plead your case carefully.
Worth a go.

581 - 600 of 887 Posts