Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

701 - 720 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry I did not read the whole thread but does that mean one does not have to get the UMIK calibrated?
No. Noise floor has nothing to do with frequency response. What we were discussing was that some early batches had elevated noise floor issues that have now been fixed. It shouldn't matter to you unless you're doing special measurements that are affected by noise floor, like harmonic distortion measurements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just ordered mine - this will be interesting to compare to the bigger/older BK setup that I've used in the past.

Here's to reliable, new, & simpler :)

Thanks Anechoic!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone setup issue

I'm new to this forum so please bare with me. I recently purchased a UMIK-1 and can't seem to get it going. I posted my problem up on the minidsp forum site but haven't gotten any responses in a couple of days.

I've calibrated the SPL meter in REW with an external SPL meter and all looked well but when I go to perform tests it seems my system needs to be much too loud to get -25 db input to REW. I've tried the set levels but my input from the UMIK seems much too low for the volume my speakers are putting out. When I get it loud enough at my listening position to satisfy REW's -25db input my system distorts badly from the wave that REW generates. I have a rather loud system that shouldn't have any problem hitting 75 db at the listening position.

From the little bit of reading I've done in this thread I take it I should mention that I'm using the analog out of my laptop. I have an HDMI out but my system is analog only so I'm stuck with that.

Any ideas on what's going wrong?

·
Registered
22 Posts

I've calibrated the SPL meter in REW with an external SPL meter and all looked well but when I go to perform tests it seems my system needs to be much too loud to get -25 db input to REW. I've tried the set levels but my input from the UMIK seems much too low for the volume my speakers are putting out. When I get it loud enough at my listening position to satisfy REW's -25db input my system distorts badly from the wave that REW generates. I have a rather loud system that shouldn't have any problem hitting 75 db at the listening position.
AFAIK the UMIK-1 volume control is purely digital, so it doesn't really matter what measurement level you end up with, as it makes no difference with respect to noise floor. -25dB in normal measurement conditions with the UMIK-1 seems normal to me considering the max SPL of the mic. Just ignore REW's warnings about measurement level, they don't really make sense when using a fixed-gain mic.

From the little bit of reading I've done in this thread I take it I should mention that I'm using the analog out of my laptop.
I would strongly advise against that, as laptop analog outputs are among the worst imaginable.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts

I recently purchased a UMIK-1 and can't seem to get it going.
Use the V5.01 beta version of REW from here, it will automatically recognise your mic and prompt you for the calibration file. USB mics operate at lower signal levels (to give them headroom for loud sounds), -25 dB is not required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ordered mine two days ago from Cross-Spectrum. I've been checking my inbox like a crack-addict waiting for a response. Anechoic, if you aren't traveling, do you have an eta on shipment? I thought some were available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, from reading the forum posts Cross-Spectrum will not test for sensitivity (I am waiting on my umik-1 to arrive). However, if I download the minidsp calibration tied to my serial # and cut-n-paste the sensitivity line from it to the one provided by CS, then the umik-1 will act as an SPL meter correct?

Or, do I need a separate SPL meter to get accurate SPL readings? I did buy a RS digital meter, but it was DOA, which launched me on the process of getting the umik-1. I'm hoping that I can simply return the RS SPL and just use the umik-1.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
So, from reading the forum posts Cross-Spectrum will not test for sensitivity (I am waiting on my umik-1 to arrive). However, if I download the minidsp calibration tied to my serial # and cut-n-paste the sensitivity line from it to the one provided by CS, then the umik-1 will act as an SPL meter correct?

That should be fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cross Spectrum Lab web site says that Calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphones are sold out. I had already decided to go for one. Any ideas as to when these will be available again?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but should the mic level in control panel (Windows7) be set to +12dB? I have done some RTA noise measurements and I got the impression that the SPL was wrong?
I guess when using the UMIK-1 one should not use any calibration file for the input sound card, only the mic calibration?
Finally should I use "adjust RTA levels" when measuring background noise?

Cheers
Vidar

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but should the mic level in control panel (Windows7) be set to +12dB? I have done some RTA noise measurements and I got the impression that the SPL was wrong?
Shouldn't matter, REW compensates for the Windows volume setting, but make sure you use REW V5.01 beta.

I guess when using the UMIK-1 one should not use any calibration file for the input sound card, only the mic calibration?
Correct

Finally should I use "adjust RTA levels" when measuring background noise?
No, that is to produce plots that are more easily compared with sweeps. Just read the SPL figure as shown top right, but bear in mind it is unweighted, or read the figure on REW's SPL meter with whatever weighting you select.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
If you go all the way to +24 in a very quiet environment you will see the effect of the extra gain on the output noise level of the mic electronics.

701 - 720 of 887 Posts