Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

721 - 740 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks again:)
If you look at the 100Hz peak it varies from 25 to 40dB depending on the gain setting. Can this be explained by the increased noise on the output? The peak most likely comes from one of my aquarium pumps. Even though REW compensates for gain, what gain would you recommend?

Cheers
Vidar

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rationale being that above 0dB you can run into clipping (by software) if you're measuring loud signals. There is no downside to leaving it at 0dB, even if the measurement level is low, because the signal to noise ratio will always stay the same anyway.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone setup issue

Use the V5.01 beta version of REW from here, it will automatically recognise your mic and prompt you for the calibration file. USB mics operate at lower signal levels (to give them headroom for loud sounds), -25 dB is not required.
John or anyone, I have a mac book pro and a couple of new Mac desktops. Can you tell me what computer would be best to use and what exactly do I need to download for Apple Safari. Also, what do I need to buy to get started, the Umik? . I imagine the macbook pro would be fine. I would appreciate any help.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone setup issue

John or anyone, I have a mac book pro and a couple of new Mac desktops. Can you tell me what computer would be best to use and what exactly do I need to download for Apple Safari. Also, what do I need to buy to get started, the Umik?
You need to install the Java runtime if you don't already have it, then the REW OS X app bundle from this thread. Make sure Gatekeeper is set to allow installs from anywhere otherwise OS X will say the app bundle is damaged and tell you to trash it. If the macbook pro has a built-in mic you could use that just to confirm the REW runs OK, to make measurements you need either an SPL meter that can send a signal to a line in on whichever computer you choose to use, or a USB mic like the UMIK-1, or some other mic (ideally with a calibration file). Examples of equipment are listed in the Cabling and Connection Basics thread, which is the first entry in the Information Index sticky, which is recommended reading before jumping in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I'm going to use REW with my HTPC. Is it OK to use an extension USB cable so the UMIK-1 will reach my listening position?

I will use HDMI to my prepro and optical to my DAC/preamp combo. Is the optical out on my HTPC OK to use?

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey all,

I'm just getting my feet wet with REW and plan on purchasing this mic as I only have a laptop and no external sound card. I plan on buying this microphone to use along with my laptop for REW. I am thinking I could use a usb dac to feed to my preamp and this would work fine? I also have an hdmi out on my laptop but I only have a 2ch setup and the hdmi would go to my tv and then optical out on the tv to the DAC? I would think the usb route would work better if REW could output the tones over USB. Any advice or tips for a newbie would be very helpful. I was just going to get the mic and start messing around with REW and figure it out that way.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm interested in buying this mic. Since it runs on usb power alone, what is the maximum extension I can add considering it's rather short. Is it usb 1.0 or 2.0? thx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I've bought nine (9) :spend: UMIK-1 and now I'm downloading the calibration files from the miniDSP site.

ALL, I rewrite, ALL the nine (9) files are the same calibration file. What changes is ONLY the serial number

It seems to me that "All UMIK-1 are calibrated with a unique calibration file" is a *wrong* statement "as minimum" and I don't want to write here what I am thinking...

What do you think of this behavior? :foottap:

Add: from #700-2572 to #700-2684 the files are identical, equal, the same...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi, I've bought nine (9) :spend: UMIK-1 and now I'm downloading the calibration files from the miniDSP site.

ALL, I rewrite, ALL the nine (9) files are the same calibration file. What changes is ONLY the serial number

It seems to me that "All UMIK-1 are calibrated with a unique calibration file" is a *wrong* statement "as minimum" and I don't want to write here what I am thinking...

Have you contacted MiniDSP to see what they say?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

Can I use the HDMI output from the laptop to TV (Panasonic Viera) and then use the SPDIF from the TV to Dac/Preamp (pre/pro)? Don't have HDMI inputs on my pre/pro.
Thanks.
Draki

·
Registered
493 Posts

My first reaction was "what the hell are they doing?" Man...the forum software has some interesting word substitutions.

Second thought was since they're manufactured one right after the other in an assembly line, then maybe they would measure identically. Its not like you took 9 mikes all made at different times.

The proof would be to compare their response and see if there is any material difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've bought nine UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum.
I have nine different calibration files (from CS). All the mics are different.

There are more than one hundred UMIK-1 without the "individual calibration file" from MiniDSP, those who bought these microphones are using a wrong file and they are getting wrong measures.

The problem is that they don't know anything about this issue.

P.S. Anyone can verify this just change XXX with a number between 572 and 684
http://www.minidsp.com/images/umik/7002XXX.txt
You will get columns that are perfectly identical

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I've bought nine UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum.
I have nine different calibration files (from CS). All the mics are different.

There are more than one hundred UMIK-1 without the "individual calibration file" from MiniDSP, those who bought these microphones are using a wrong file and they are getting wrong measures.

The problem is that they don't know anything about this issue.

P.S. Anyone can verify this just change XXX with a number between 572 and 684
http://www.minidsp.com/images/umik/7002XXX.txt
You will get columns that are perfectly identical
If you still have any of the original 9 mics ( from CSL ) you could create your own ad-hoc calibrations ( by comparing acoustic results of good to bad & then changing "the bad calibration to match the good " / until the acoustic results match . This process will be somewhat tedious & time consuming , but it is still one way ( that is better than a "kick-in-the-pants", IMHO ) .

Re; the hundred users with so-called bad calibrations // one way to view that , is just how much of a placebo effect this whole question of calibration has actually become ( ie; it doesn't really matter since ones ears still end up being the final arbiter // at least for those of us who trust our ears ) .

:sn:

721 - 740 of 887 Posts