Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 887 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I think it will all depend on the quality of your sound card, but most of the laptops I have looked at recently seem to have pretty good sound cards... and HDMI out as well. So either a 3.5mm to stereo RCA from the headphone output or an HDMI cable should work.

EDIT: The headphone out did NOT work for me. I never could get a clean output. The HDMI output worked beautifully... including the ability to see REW on my 10' screen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So hdmi will work? I thought all of the RCA cabling was so you got a mono channel split out. With hdmi you would be back to stereo correct?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I would think so, yeah.

What would be nice is if John could get the output to be 5.1 via HDMI... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
78 Posts
miniDSP shipped me a new mic with expedited shipping and it will be here Thursday I believe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just picked mine up from the post office. It is in fine shape with all the parts there and the box in good shape. I can't work with it until tomorrow night. I am looking forward to messing with it. I am not looking forward to learning REW. I am use to the OmniMic and know it well, but I have never used REW. As a matter of fact, I've not even downloaded it yet. I'll do that tonight and start getting familiar with the program.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I got around to trying mine out tonight. This is my first exposure to REW so I don't have anything to compare it to. Even so, setup was super easy and I haven't found anything to complain about so far (other than my general lack of REW knowledge). The included clamp and tripod are pretty handy too. This was just what I needed to get this PB13-Ultra under control in my living room.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got mine last week and have been learning REW with it since then. Super nifty and lets me geek out on measurements, but one thing I've noticed is the "dB FS In" is really low, ~ -36. I haven't figured out a way to get it up to the recommended -18. Mic mixer volume in Win 7 maxed out at 100 and input volume maxed out at 1.00. Does dB FS In need to be -18 or is -36 ok?

UMIK-1 -> Lenovo laptop -> HDMI out -> Denon 3310 AVR

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
one thing I've noticed is the "dB FS In" is really low, ~ -36. I haven't figured out a way to get it up to the recommended -18. Mic mixer volume in Win 7 maxed out at 100 and input volume maxed out at 1.00. Does dB FS In need to be -18 or is -36 ok?
It is fine as is, the UMIK can measure up to 130dB, so signal levels are lower at normal test levels.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Thanks for that !

That difference of @ 7.5db at 10K is quite significant ( & very much in keeping with what Herb recently discovered when comparing his calibration vs P.E.s, for the same UMM-6 microphone ).

:sn:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks for that !

That difference of @ 7.5db at 10K is quite significant ( & very much in keeping with what Herb recently discovered when comparing his calibration vs P.E.s, for the same UMM-6 microphone ).

:sn:
It could be differences in calibration methods and mic orientation. To be more precise I should use the orientation for which the mic is calibrated... and I did not give that much thought at the time... all were at 90°. I think I have two files from Herb on my ECM8000... one for 0° and one for 90°, if I am remembering correctly. Of course I can't hear 10kHz very well anyway, so for me it would not be significant.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I don't think there is anything to set with REW, just plug 'n' play and it works as an SPL meter.

61 - 80 of 887 Posts