Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

841 - 860 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
HI GUY'S

If ones umik-1 mic cal number has rubbed off ones mic / plus i had to reinstall windows on my laptop and all my programs along with REW! So its no longer recognized , So how does one find the relevant calibration file to be able to use my mic again.

Regards
Steve.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Open the files in textedit and copy the first line of the miniDSP file to the top of the Cross Spectrum file.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I forgot to add this after I received my UMIK from CSL but better late than never. Here are the two cal files overlaid. The dark line is CSL (0 degree narrow band) and the light one is Mini DSP.

Hello, the photo link seems to be broken. Is it possible to upload the photo to the forum rather than host on another site? The offsite photo hosting always seems to break eventually :(

EDIT: I kept looking, and see there are some images still working here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mics-calibration-sound-cards/63808-minidsp-umik-1-microphone-46.html#post603340

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb or previously answered question, however what is the advantage of the UMIK-1 vs the Genelec 8200A mic I have been using? Will the 8200A work with, and perform correctly with, the asio4all software? I am very interested in running independent sweeps of each of the 7.1 channels in my system. :help:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi John & all,

Great thread! I'm certain a lot of time and effort has gone into the matching of Room EQ Wizard and the MiniDSP UMIK-1 Mic. Thanks for that. ;)

I'm thinking of trying Room EQ Wizard on my systems, and if I get proficient with it, maybe those of my family & friends. So my focus will probably be in those areas here at HTS. Being married, I don't have lots of extra cash outside of the family budget to spend on expensive equipment, but I'd like to try to get the most out of what I have. I'm ready to order a MiniDSP UMIK-1 Mic as it fits my budget and what I've read suggests it will do the job although not down to the nether regions the most expensive Subs can achieve. (Mine tap out at about 25 Hz so I think I'm safe.) So I guess my first question is, is the UMIK-1 Mic still the right choice at this spec & price point to use with the latest REW software?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
John & All,

The Canadian Distributor (Solen Online) has both the MiniDSP UMIK-1 & Dayton UMM-6 at ($114 & $104 respectively plus shipping & taxes.) I've seen posts on other sites where they think the Dayton is the way to go and others where the UMIK-1 is the choice.

If you had to choose, and the only thing you plan to use it for is Room EQ Wizard on a Windows platform, which way would you go?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Me, I got one too this week UMIK1 that is. Only just tried it out briefly, but so far so much easier to use than a separate amp and Mic/SPL meter with calibration unknown or greatly suspect. Most important thing I did to start was download the cal files and save them and the serial number to disk and my backups archive. That now all being safe time to play:smile: and see what improvements I can make

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rick,

Glad to hear it's easier to use. I work on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid ;) ) so if this Mic helps keep it simple => I'm all for that. The Canadian Distributor (Solen Online) said the delivery for the MiniDSP UMIK-1 would take between 1-5 days (I assume business days) so it should be here on Monday. I can hardly wait to try it out!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rick,

Glad to hear it's easier to use. I work on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid ;) ) so if this Mic helps keep it simple => I'm all for that. The Canadian Distributor (Solen Online) said the delivery for the MiniDSP UMIK-1 would take between 1-5 days (I assume business days) so it should be here on Monday. I can hardly wait to try it out!
Hi Jim,
Mine from a dealer in London arrived overnight:smile:. I read another post somewhere where a forum members computer had a problem and the serial number had rubbed off the UMIK1 (sticky label type thing) he had lost everything and was asking how he could get that information (no serial number no cal files), which I don't know the answer to. So I think heeding my advice on backup of the cal files and serial number to at least a CD is probably a good idea, but me I'm daft about things like that and have most important things backed up (even the Denon 4520 settings file):nerd2:.

I have had a play but need to refresh my memory on some aspects of REW luckily the help files are good. But no need to calibrate the computer sound card, no loop backs required. Just plug in the UMIK1 (you may need to reboot REW the first time) wait for a few seconds or so for the message to come up select yes to use the UMIK1 a couple of seconds later it asks you for the cal file (which you should have copied somewhere on your PC there are two a point mic at object and a 90deg cal file for the mic to point at the ceiling for multichannel) set your levels and away you go. There are of course the main settings in REW to be done like sweep start and finish etc. etc. but basically if I have that right its that simple. One peculiar thing I did note with my Pioneer based system is that with the MCACC on I had a notch at 80Hz (crossover? some one else has seen this problem in another post) which was not there when I checked the speaker flat from the AVR with MCACC off the only reason I had put MCACC on at this point was to get the S/W working to do a full sweep. So lots of playing to do and proper learning curve:yikes: now I have the right kit.

Anyway to conclude, yep this seems to go along with the KISS principle :smile:and helps make a complex subject like room analysis just that little bit easier.

All the best in your endeavours when it arrives, but for sure there is plenty of help at the Home Theatre Shack if you need it

Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the post. My MiniDSP UMIK-1 arrived to day but after work we had to go to the Canucks (Hockey) Game so I didn't get to play with it at all. I'll go grab the Box now and try to get the Serial number so I can download the Cal File. I probably won' get much time to play with this until the weekend but I may try to sneak in an hour or two. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the post. My MiniDSP UMIK-1 arrived to day but after work we had to go to the Canucks (Hockey) Game so I didn't get to play with it at all. I'll go grab the Box now and try to get the Serial number so I can download the Cal File. I probably won' get much time to play with this until the weekend but I may try to sneak in an hour or two. ;)
Hi Jim
Great you got it. Have highlighted in your post above two points. Serial Number This is on a fairly substantial sticky on the thick end of the UMIK1 so no trouble finding that (unless it eventually wears off as has happened and why I have saved mine to CD). Cal File as I mentioned in my earlier post there are two a standard file for use when pointing at the object to be measured such as a stereo system or measuring a speaker. The other is a 90deg cal file typically from what I read for home theatre type calibrations and with this calibration loaded the microphone should be pointed at the ceiling (like most AVR calibration mics).

All the best
Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Rick,

I grabbed both Cal files, and I took a screen snip of the serial number when I plugged it into the MiniDSP website. Then I emailed all 3 files to myself in Hotmail, and another email account, so I'd be sure to have them if I lose them on this computer.

If I really want another back up I'll email them to my Brother.

My son just bought the new Star Wars Movie and wants me to watch it tonight. So there goes a chance to play with the UMIK-1. ;)

841 - 860 of 887 Posts