Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 887 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
It could be differences in calibration methods and mic orientation. To be more precise I should use the orientation for which the mic is calibrated... and I did not give that much thought at the time... all were at 90°. I think I have two files from Herb on my ECM8000... one for 0° and one for 90°, if I am remembering correctly. Of course I can't hear 10kHz very well anyway, so for me it would not be significant.
Right you are !

Pointing the ECM8000 90deg to source , while using the 0deg ( to source ) calibration, would nicely explain the blue line .

:sn:

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
The V5.0 OS X version does not have the updates for UMIK, you would have to do SPL calibration in the old fashioned way.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Hi Markus, I will make an OS X version, but I need to get a new Mac as my old Mac Mini cannot be upgraded to the latest OS X. I'm hoping to have something to try on OS X before the end of January.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I already have an uncalibrated Behringer ECM8000, but 'm considering buying a UMIK-1 just to get a calibrated measurement mic (the data for ECM8000 at Cross-Spectrum doesn't look very good (sorry, can't post links :( ) ). I want to use it with full range calibration using software like Dirac Live. Would you say it's worth the investment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Microphone arrived in 5 days, I am impressed, usually stuff from Hong Kong gets lost or travels for more than a month. Time for some measurements :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
That difference of @ 7.5db at 10K is quite significant ( & very much in keeping with what Herb recently discovered when comparing his calibration vs P.E.s, for the same UMM-6 microphone )
It could be differences in calibration methods and mic orientation. To be more precise I should use the orientation for which the mic is calibrated... and I did not give that much thought at the time... all were at 90°. I think I have two files from Herb on my ECM8000... one for 0° and one for 90°, if I am remembering correctly. Of course I can't hear 10kHz very well anyway, so for me it would not be significant.
Well... I'm in the club too, or about to be. Santa Wife has one heading my way from Hong Kong.... :D

I am somewhat concerned about that huge difference up at the high end... I will be using it for speaker measurement and design, so accuracy everywhere is important. I'd like to think I'll be able to trust the supplied cal.

So, a couple of questions... Could you clear up whether you did on axis (or 90deg) measuring, and was the cal files the ones for 0 or 90 deg? And, what do we know about the supplied UMIK-1 file? 0 or 90deg?

I have a couple of the ECM's, one with a cal file from Herb at Cross Spectrum. So I could try comparing as you have for more data...

Should get here soon...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying to order the mic from miniDSp but having problems
I am in the States and when I try to close the deal with paypal I get a message that paypal does not allow US shipping to HK
Bit the PO is correct and has my name and address as shipped to
I sent an email to miniDSP yesterday and there is not response yet

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I don't think we can get you any faster results that emailing them directly. :huh:

You might contact PayPal, as it seems that is where the problem exist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered the mic.

I am hoping my daughters Lenovo Ideapad P580 will be sufficient enough to work with this unit or if I will need an external soundcard.

I have an Marantz AV7005 and using the AS-EQ1 in the mix. Will I have any issues using this with this combination?

Sorry, very new to the REW world. I love what XT32 has done with my HT setup and looking to tweak more with this unit.

Does this save the updates on your AVR? How does it know what curve or tweaks you have done?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I just placed my order as well.

Welcome to the HTS cdnbum88.

This is not meant to replace the mic you use for Audyssey, it is only used to measure the response of your system but it will not save anything to your AVR.

What it will be useful for is to measure your system before applying any Audyssey processing so you can make some possible changes in there placement to improve response naturally. It will also give you a better idea of how your response actually is since the graphs that the AS-EQ1 put out are exaggerated to look really smooth.

Can't wait to get mine and see how low can I go!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just placed my order as well.

Welcome to the HTS cdnbum88.

This is not meant to replace the mic you use for Audyssey, it is only used to measure the response of your system but it will not save anything to your AVR.

What it will be useful for is to measure your system before applying any Audyssey processing so you can make some possible changes in there placement to improve response naturally. It will also give you a better idea of how your response actually is since the graphs that the AS-EQ1 put out are exaggerated to look really smooth.

Can't wait to get mine and see how low can I go!
After I typed it and thought for a minute I realized how stupid my question was :blink: So this will let me see where my potential 'issues' are and then try to move the speakers to try and adjust to improve the SQ. I don't have lots of options with wife approved locations :bigsmile: but can adjust a little. I wish I had more options for acoustic materials as I know they would improve my room, but without WA options I think XT32 has done a great job with my HT system.

Hoping this will show me some of the short falls and go from there. I hope I can just use the HDMI from laptop and this mic and be good to go :D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It wasn't a stupid question, your system is more complicated than most with 2 mics you need to use to calibrate so it would be easy to confuse. Members are less likely to jump on people around here at the HTS so never be worried to ask a question.

Let us know how you like the Umik-1 and I will make sure and do the same.

81 - 100 of 887 Posts