Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I don't think that's the problem, I'm using the SPDIF output of the Realtek sound device on my motherboard and all effects are turned off. It's the same output I use for all sound playback in Windows. I don't use any soundcard calibration file in REW, neither for the Behringer or the UMIK.

Just to clear up, is your ECM8000 mic individually calibrated?

Why aren't you using the UMIK calibration file?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to clear up, is your ECM8000 mic individually calibrated?

Why aren't you using the UMIK calibration file?
No, the ECM8000 is not individually calibrated (that's why I bought the UMIK).

I've tried both with and without the UMIK calibration file, the frequency response curve looks very similar. I'm not using a soundcard calibration file though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think the goal is to be able to run all channels either individually or in pairs using a computer equipped with HDMI output and ASIO audio drivers for the output signal. Not sure if it's limited to 5.1 or 7.1.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
If I am not mistaken REW would need to produce a 5.1 signal for your processor to be able to decode it and at this time it does not. I believe John has talked about adding this in one of the future releases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi my laptop is two year old Dell xps the audio driver is need to download or already in there the idea is REW to know room acoustics and correct it to install acoustic panels or get eq box to fix it

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
I have purchased a UMIK-1 and has done some measurements in REW (beta 13) under Windows 7. The results are very strange compared to measurements with my Behringer ECM8000
Could you post the .mdat file for the two measurements? Also, any special reason you are using a linear frequency axis rather than log?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Hi can we do 5.1 with hmdi or just left and right channel now
If you are using a laptop or computer that has multi-channel HDMI output you may be able to choose the various channel pairs as outputs in REW. Sometimes those are available when using the Java drivers, but more often it is necessary to use ASIO drivers - installing ASIO4All is a way of providing ASIO drivers for an HDMI output if they are not already installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could you post the .mdat file for the two measurements? Also, any special reason you are using a linear frequency axis rather than log?
I'm attaching a new measurement I just did comparing the two mics. No particular reason why I use the linear axis, haven't thought about it actually. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried using another Windows application to sample a 1 kHz sine wave (generated in REW) using the UMIK-1. I can play back the sample and hear the tone but it's at a very low volume and there's a lot of background noise. When I try to sample a 100 Hz sine wave there is nothing but noise in the recorded sample. This is at a sound level so high I have to cover my ears.

Clearly the mic can't be working correctly, right?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Does look very odd, probably need to contact MiniDSP. Is it the same if you choose the left channel in REW rather than the right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if this MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone is useful for other purposes than for input to the REW software? Maybe it could be used as a general purpose mic on a PC, but is there a way to use it for input to another device (eg, digital camera) with more conventional mic jack?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it would be much use on a digital camera. In order to use the mic the device it is being attached to needs to have a USB Host which none that i know of do. However some tablets and phones support USB On-The-Go which will act as a host and if the USB port can provide enough power then the mic should work in theory. Maybe an android vs of REW which we can plug the UMIK-1 to have the ultimate portable measuring device!

BtW has anyone had any order shipment confirmations? ordered mine just over a week ago, stock was due in yesterday but I have no idea what the backlog numbers are, I fear it could end up taking a while..I only hope that the latest shipment was enough to fulfill all back orders and supply new ones..

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Umik mic has suddenly stopped working. The blue light glows, but it isn't recognised by my computer (either MB Air or Mini, running OSX and Win 7 via Bootcamp).

I've tried it with multiple cables, with REW and Fuzzmeasure, and in the respective sound control panels.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm doesn't sound great. I was going to suggest a different cable but seeing as you have tried that i'm not sure. Obviously it is receiving power but it is not being recognized by the computer. I don't know about macs but for the PC does it show up in the device manager at all? If not then the only thing I can suggest is contact miniDsp as it would appear to have developed a fault.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My Umik mic has suddenly stopped working. The blue light glows, but it isn't recognised by my computer (either MB Air or Mini).

I've tried it with multiple cables, with REW and Fuzzmeasure, and on a Mac and a PC.

Any thoughts?

Just a thought and questions might be asked by Minidsp.

1.Go into Control Panel > (this is all OS dependant) Sound > Recording > and look for the mic been recognized and might say Working or Unavailable.
2.Does it show up in REW Preferences.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Before I order the UMIK-1 want to confirm cable I need to run from laptop to my Onkyo 5508 Preamp. The preamp is located approx 25 ft from home theater room. I can locate laptop in HT next to Mic so 2m usb cable length not an issue. However the cable from laptop has to be 25 ft long. If HDMI cable are there handshake issues to be concern about given the length or should I just use a rca cable from mic jack to preamp?

141 - 160 of 887 Posts