Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have two turntables, the main one being a Dual 1219 with Shure M97 set at about 1.2G for both weight and antiskating. Though I get a fantastic sound on the outside of the disk, I get a tremendous amount of distortion toward the center. I know the fidelity and level will drop towards the center but this is rather rediculous. I thought I was having issues with dirt but even a well-cleaned record doesn't sound as good as it should. Both my turntables have this issue and my Sony has a cart/stylus with less than 10 hours of play time on it.
Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok thats your problem, here is a website and even a free tool for you to use to properly set up your cart, follow the directions and print this free tool out. Make sure you cut spindle hole out with care then simply place you needle on the two spots, check and see if it falls in both zones on the print out. If it doesnt loosen the cart screws and tweak position the tighten back up. Once cart is set that issue of distortion should be much better if not gone all together.
here is tool just print it at proper size cheers
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

G

·
0 Posts
Ohh, helpful link. I bookmarked that for later use.

He should be able to find a alignment tool hidden in the bottom of the box that his stylus came in. For some reason, the manufacture doesn't even hint about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AH YES! I do remember a little piece of plastic that came with my replacement cart for my Sony but I got the Dual used and had no such thing.
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
The best place to get a stylus alignment protractor is www.vinylengine.com . They have several different ones for download. It's very likely they have one specifically designed for your TT's. You will have to register to access the download pages. If you have an interest in vinyl it's a site to be aware of.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JoeESP9. I'm having a hard time getting the scale of that generic protractor right and the author doesn't help much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts