Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As previously posted in Another newbie,I embarked on a winter project to maintain my sanity during what seemed to be an unusually long winter. I wanted to build a pair of front speakers for my home theater system. I wanted a pair of speakers that would be good for listening to 2 channel music and also had to be visually appealing to my better half of 24yrs.Additional pictures of the build can been see in "Another newbie" thread.
Concept, Speaker Project 002.jpg
Layout, Speaker Project 005.jpg
Installed arborite(plastic laminate) on the fronts and prepped the cabinets for the 3/4" solid cherry sides. Speaker Project 064.jpg
Laminating process, Speaker Project 073.jpg
Rough after glue-up, Speaker Project 065.jpg
Sides and top after initial sanding, Speaker Project 067.jpg
Finishing the feet, Speaker Project 076.jpg
Stained with the feet attached, Speaker Project 078.jpg
Prepping the grills, Speaker Project 082.jpg
Showing the backs, Speaker Project 083.jpg
Spraying the finish, 2 coats of sealer, 3 coats lacquer, Speaker Project 086.jpg
The finished pair, Speaker Project 094.jpg
With the grill cloth, Speaker Project 095.jpg
Finally back at home, Speaker Project 103.jpg
Mission Accomplished, Speaker Project 105.jpg

I hope I posted enough pictures of the process...Mark
Pssst...golfing is just around the corner:yay:
For Information on the drivers and other photos http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/16395-another-newbie.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Robbo, I glued-up the sides just like the stave's of a barrel. Each piece of cherry was about an 1 5/8" wide with a bevel of around 4*. When you clamp them they just want to close on the radius. The radius of the side is 24".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, Thank you guys for the compliments on the speakers. They really were a labor of love. I really enjoy the woodworking aspect now that I don't do it for a living. What surprised me was how much there is to know about building speakers. Now the challenge is to convince the wife to upgrade all the surround speakers.:spend:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! I must NOT be jealous!! :hissyfit: :drool:

Awesome work on those cabinents. That's just.. really really really good! :hail::hail::wow:

Next step is to post some REW charts.. :paddle::eek:rder::paddle:

And then, a trip to Northern California..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not to throw a damper on what is clearly a beautifully executed design, but I have to ask, did you fill the sides?

I'm seeing curved spacers between what I assume is an MDF inner box and the cherry outer side panels (3rd photo). These cavities present a great opportunity for damping enclosure resonances, or if empty, a great opportunity to create a bunch of new ones. If you don't hear anything untoward in loud, low frequency sweeps, I'd leave them alone. If you hear resonances, I'll suggest an injection of self-expanding foam to fill the cavity and damp any resonances.

Beautifully executed, otherwise!
Frank

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In response to the question of the space behind the solid cherry and the mdf, I was told that because of the curved surface and the flat surface opposing each other no standing waves of consequence could be produced. I was also told that because of the minuscule area involved if there was something produced a bee fart would sound like a fog horn in comparison. I honestly don't know because I don't know if I will ever get the chance to really let them out at really high volumes. I really haven't heard any difference since testing them when they were just square tuned boxes. I know the sides built this way are much more rigid and massive( heavy ). Maybe that is a question for the experts on this forum to discuss.

Mark:scratchhead:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Superb work!

2 questions

1- How did you glued your laminate to get that shape? I love the way it looks! If I had to make an enclosure for mains and center chanel this should be the WAY to do it!

2- Why so much spacing between the speakers components, they seem to be far apart? Have reasons for that(Xover points, listening distance, baffle step compensation network, imaging, dispersion)

Thanks for your reply and congrat for your finished work!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the compliments on the cabinets.
Maxserg asked
How did you glued your laminate to get that shape?
You build the sides out of small pieces 3/4"X1 5/8" with a small bevel to the edges like building a barrel as you clamp it across the width it naturally wants to curve downward towards the surface of the cabinet. Then it is just a matter of planning, scraping, and sanding to finish.
Maxserg asked
Why so much spacing between the speakers components
The software WinISD determined the interior volume for the twin woofers to have a tuned cabinet, volume of internal bracing,a sealed enclosure for the midrange and tweeter, plus I didn't want a cabinet to be too deep determined the height. I figured why squish them all together on the front baffle.
Crossover points are 600 and 5000hz,6/ 6/ 12 slope per octave low mid high.(pre-fab crossover by Phillips)
I have no equipment for measurements other than my ears(they might be questionable) and what others have said so far.
Ripcard...Thanks, I am feeling much better now(that flu hit me hard and I had a flu shot..go figure) Like you said there is a lot less snow to get rid of this year, I even heard that Mapleview golf in Perth might open in another week :yay2::yes::yay2:
Thanks again for the nice comments, Its nice to hear when you put so much time into something.

Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
In response to the question of the space behind the solid cherry and the mdf, I was told that because of the curved surface and the flat surface opposing each other no standing waves of consequence could be produced. I was also told that because of the minuscule area involved if there was something produced a bee fart would sound like a fog horn in comparison. I honestly don't know because I don't know if I will ever get the chance to really let them out at really high volumes. I really haven't heard any difference since testing them when they were just square tuned boxes. I know the sides built this way are much more rigid and massive( heavy ). Maybe that is a question for the experts on this forum to discuss.

Mark:scratchhead:
You and robbo are right that this is far more bracing than in most DIY, and probably all but the best commercial speakers. Whenever I see a double wall design, I also see an opportunity for a constraint layer damping system. Dead boxes seem an obvious advantage, but I can't claim any objective results. That said, the flat surfaces most DIYers eliminate through curved sides are the internal surfaces, to prevent standing waves inside the box. It took me a bit to understand what you were doing.

My comments aren't really fair, since the project is done and the results are beautiful and their sound pleases you. My apologies for addressing a non-problem.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Ken,
As I said it was a labor of love. There is probably somewhere in the range of around 60 hrs around 5 weekends and a few evenings and that doesn't include the months researching DIY on the web and reading a thousand or so posts all before starting anything. It's hard to put straight time in on something like this with 2 teenage kids and a wife always wanting to go somewhere. But you know when I sit down and listen to and old Pink Floyd song or some finger picking by Mark Knopfler and see what a person can create, the sweat equity is worth it.

Mark:bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts