Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=8531[/img]
Title: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Starring: Tom Cruise, Paula Patton, Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner, Michael Nyqvist, Josh Holloway
Directed by: Brad Bird
Written by: Josh Applebaum, Andre Nemec
Studio: Paramount
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 133 Minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: April 17, 2012

Movie: :4.5stars:
Video: :5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
HTS Overall Score:95

[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=8532[/img]
Summary:

An IMF agent Trevor Hanaway (Holloway) is assassinated while attempting to intercept a set of nuclear launch codes. The launch codes are in the hands of a courier who's intent is to sell it on the black market. Due to its high importance of retrieval IMF must send in their best agent, Ethan Hunt (Cruise) to retrieve the codes. However, before they can do that, IMF must get Ethan out of a prison in Moscow. IMF sends agents Benji Dunn(Pegg) and Jane Carter (Patton), to break Ethan out of prison.

After acquiring Hunt, the agency assigns the team a mission to seize a set of nuclear launch codes stored in the Kremlin. The team carries out their mission and nearly succeed in retrieving the codes, but Ethan quickly discovers that they have been sent on a sour mission and immediately aborts. As Ethan escapes from the Kremlin a bomb goes off leaving Ethan and his team as the prime suspects. IMF discovers that behind the roused attack is a well-known terrorist, Kurt Hendricks (Nyqvist), who was after a remote missile launch console and used the IMF agents as his cover. Due to the nature of this bombing and the ramifications the United States would take for this attack on Moscow, the US President initiates "Ghost Protocol" forcing the agency IMF to disavow and disband all of its agents. In order to clear IMF of this framing, the lead secretary of the agency assigns Ethan, Benji, and Jane the task of finding Hendricks and recover the stolen nuclear launch device and the codes, all without the support from the US Government or IMF, itself.

[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=8533[/img]
'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' is director Brad Bird's first real attempt at a live-action film, so his name may not be as widely known as other prolific live-action directors, though he is no stranger in the film industry. Brad Bird is best known for his direction on Disney/Pixar's 'The Incredibles', but he has also done various other notable things, like 'Ratatouille', 'Iron Giant', and several episodes of 'The Simpsons' TV show; so it is somewhat of a surprise that a project as grandiose as this film, was placed under his care. Truthfully, he does a marvelous job with this film and I had the most fun with this movie out of all of the rest of the series. I really enjoyed JJ Abrams' iteration of the franchise with M:I 3, but this one just tops it in every way.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for sequences of intense action and violence.

Video: :5stars:

[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=8534[/img]
I saw this film in the IMAX theaters and it was truly magnificent to see the various sequences in their full resolution and size. In fact, during the Dubai sequences I experienced vertigo from the masterfully-done camera work. Even my wife agreed that this film was well worth the normally outrageous ticket price for the IMAX experience. When this title was announced for blu-ray I was incredibly hopeful that they would keep the various Aspect Ratio preservation intact, like the studios did with 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' (At least with the Walmart exclusive edition) and 'The Dark Knight'. However, a while after announcement Brad Bird tweeted on his twitter account that the IMAX sequences would be cropped to fit the rest of the film's aspect ratio. As I watched the film a second time, here in my home, I can say that I hardly missed the changing AR; however, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it at all.

Still, 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' looks fantastic from start to finish. And while the IMAX sequences didn't preserve the IMAX aspect ratio, those sequences still yield even more incredible detail on the screen, especially for the pulled-back cityscape shots. Fortunately, the sequences are not jarring going back and forth between camera types as the filmmakers did a fantastic job at keeping resolution and detail incredibly high for the standard shots. If you pay close attention you will likely be able to tell some of which shots were shot with the 65mm IMAX cameras, but for some shots it was hard to discern from my recollection if the shot was IMAX or regular camera. Regardless of camera type, the film boasts a vibrant color pallet that really leaps off the screen. Contrast throughout is also rock solid and black levels remain strong throughout the length of the film. Overall this film's video transfer will not disappoint.

[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=8535[/img]
Audio: :5stars:

This disc was given a remarkable Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track to accompany the already mentioned video transfer. Again, when I heard it in the theater, I kept thinking this film bears the mark of sound designer, Gary Rydstrom. Watching the credits only confirmed my assumption. In the hands of Rydstrom and under direction of Bird, yields an aural treat for the audience. Surround usage is prominent throughout the film and creates proper atmospheric feel to each scene. Directional surround usage is quite frequently used to convey bullets whizzing by, cars rushing by, or gritty sand being blow through during the sandstorm chase sequence. Low frequency effects is also very well used; when explosions and crashes occur it feels like teeth were being knocked out. Not only that, there were less action-oriented sequences yielded proper heft from the LFE. One point I noted that a car door closed and it really sound and felt like the car door really closed on the listener. Word of advice to those who watch this film on blu-ray -- be sure to turn the volume up, you will be in for a really great ride.

[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=8536[/img]
Extras: :3.5stars:

• 'Mission Accepted' three part featurette
• 'Impossible Missions' documentaries
• Deleted Scenes and Alternate Opening Sequence
• Trailers

Overall: :4.5stars:

'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' is most definitely my favorite of the Mission: Impossible franchise. What Brad Bird brings to the table for this film is his unique magic that was similarly felt in 'The Incredibles'. I was disappointed when I heard that they weren't alternating the aspect ratios like they did in the IMAX theater, but I hardly missed it while I was watching again. I remember seeing it in theaters and saying, I have to get this blu-ray when it is released. The stellar audio and awe-inspiring video transfer that this release has makes this movie too good to pass up. Still, I cannot recommend this title enough to those who are fans of the franchise, simply curious, or just want some demo material.

Recommendation: Highly Recommended!

Official Blu-Ray Reviews Scoring

Win a copy of this Blu-ray disc compliments of Dolby by simply replying to the thread.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol - Blu-ray Review (Win a Copy - Compliments of Dolby)

good review Jon. I agree with you that Imax scenes should have been inserted but Brad Bird make an executive decision during the transfer process that it would be "distracting" so at least it was director approved :dunno:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol - Blu-ray Review (Win a Copy - Compliments of Dolby)

I watched this today and was blown away by the sound effects. I didn't think that I would like the movie; I'm not a big fan of the MI movie series, but I enjoyed the movie a great deal! The writing was surprisingly good and not (too) unrealistic.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Thanks for the review, this is my favorite of the MI movies as well. I loved this move so much that I drove an hour and a half to see it in IMAX and it was worth it!
I do wish that they had kept the IMAX scenes in tact. I did not find them distracting on Dark Knight or Transformers but oh well maybe one day they will release a special edition if they think there is enough demand for it.
I picked this up yesterday at best buy and hopefully I will get to watch it tonight :)

·
Registered
432 Posts

My copy is due to arrive either today or tomorrow and I'm very much looking forward to watching this one.

Thanks for reviewing it, Jon Liu!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

My copy is here... just got to find time to watch it.

Thanks for the excellent review Jon. :T

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks guys!

I am actually going to make time to watch this one again this weekend. My wife and kids were out visiting friends so I watched it by myself, but I know she wants to watch it so I will "sacrifice" some time to watch it again! :)

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts

Thanks guys!

I am actually going to make time to watch this one again this weekend. My wife and kids were out visiting friends so I watched it by myself, but I know she wants to watch it so I will "sacrifice" some time to watch it again! :)
sounds like a tough sacrifice you're making there buddy ;)

·
Registered
910 Posts

This was a blind buy for me and I really enjoyed it. My favourite MI movie of the series. The video is crisp and really enjoyed the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio. Great review Jon

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
My copy is at home and I'll be watching tonight after work. I've been looking forward to this one.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts

As always, thanks for the review Jon! :T

I actually do not own any of the MI movies on BR - I think I will pick them all up and do an MI marathon ending with this one! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts

I enjoyed this one in the theaters and can't wait to give it a run at home. Unfortunately, it most likely won't happen until this weekend.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts

I do not own any of the MI films either. I also think this was the best of the series.

·
Registered
99 Posts

This was probably one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen in the theater, and this Blu-Ray recreates it well (minus the 70 ft screen). The visuals are still impressive and the sound mix is exceptional. Personally I think the LFE is a bit overdone in a few places, but it still put a smile on my face. Rydstrom sure picked a good movie to end his 8 year retirement from sound design

·
Registered
432 Posts

I read elsewhere that it really was Tom Cruise scaling the tallest building in the world in the movie, and not a stunt double. Secured by cables or not, that's pretty amazing in of itself if true.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ozar, it was definitely him. If you watch the extras accompanying this release, they talk about it quite a bit. Definitely is amazing!

jdent, I don't think the LFE was anymore overdone than a movie like 'The Incredibles'. Certainly catches your attention!

·
Registered
432 Posts

Ozar, it was definitely him. If you watch the extras accompanying this release, they talk about it quite a bit. Definitely is amazing!
Yeah, thanks... I've not seen the extras yet but hope to watch them soon. Cruise seems like he may be getting a little old for some of these stunts, but he might be in better shape than he appears to be. I've also read that Jeremy Renner was put in the movie so that he can take Cruise's place as the lead agent in the MI films once Cruise decides he's had enough. From what I saw of Renner's work in this movie, he should do fine as the lead.

·
Registered
194 Posts

I enjoyed it and thanks for the review.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Watched it and will soon own it. Excellent movie and by far the best of the franchise. Jeremy Renner was an excellent addition to the cast.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts