Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Mitsubishi VT-50803. It has no picture or sound. The green light comes on when you turn it on and I hear a click.When I turn it off I hear 2 clicks. I do not have a remote but I tried to get any fault codes but the light stays on steady. I pulled the board and found several pins on the CI's loose. I resoldered and re-assembled but get the same result. I suspect bad CI's but there is a film on the board near the back, kind of oily. Is this coolant and how will this effect what's happening?

Any help is appreciated :scratch:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What are CIs?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. Sorry, my bad.Would Convergence IC's make it more clear?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the stuff on the board was at the back of the board with the convergence ICs, it was likely silicone from the heat sink compound. Coolant will usually leave a green residue on metal parts. These sets do have a tendency to leak, so you should look over the boards, particularly the signal board very, very carefully.

If the set is running and you have no video, troubleshooting is required that is likely beyond the scope of this forum. If your convergence ICs were the problem, your set would either be shutting down or would have video with convergence error.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is corrosion on the signal board & the jungle board (see photo).
I have read the post regarding cleaning and repairing the boards.
Do you have any other words of wisdom ?
I have already repaired a Mits WT-46809 using your expert guidence

Thank you for your time

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Map the areas of the board that have any coolant or any corrosion VERY carefully. Pull the board, wash it with denatured or isopropyl alcohol, cleaning any corrosion and residue. Wash it in the dishwasher and dry it completely. Then repair any traces or damaged parts and connections. Then test each and every feed through grommet that go through the board from one side to the other for continuity. Any that are bad need to be repaired by soldering a wire through the hole on both sides. Resolder any connections that look even a little bit marginal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts