Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find the exact situation im experiencing on the forum but if it has been addressed I'm sorry. I have a WS-55857 and I went to turn it on yesterday and there is no picture or sound. The green power light comes on and stays on just like normal but the tubes never come on and there is no sound. if anyone has an ideas that would be great.

Thanks
Keith

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Menus? Are the filaments lit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are no menus or picture of any kind (black screen). It does not look like the tubes are doing anything (if that's what you mean by filaments). When i plug the set in I get three flashes from the power light. When I hold menu and input(not sure if that works on this set) I get no response at all.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually on closer inspection the tubes are making a noise that sounds like they are charging up. A click then a rising hiss (sounds like static electricity) and the cobweb next to them (needs a cleaning) jumps.
Thanks again

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You can only pull diagnostic codes with Input + Menu for shutdown conditions. If the set is running it does nothing. The filaments are the small yellow/orange glow at the base of the CRTs. If not lit, you need to track down why. If the set is running, they should be lit.

Look carefully on the boards for coolant that could have leaked from a CRT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The filaments are lit and I can not find any trace of coolant on any of the boards. I really appreciate the info and the quick replies.
Thanks much

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
At this point, I'd be starting to do some more in depth troubleshooting that is beyond the scope of this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I certainly appreciate the help. You guys run a great forum. I'll at least have some good info for the repair man.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
One thing you might check that is not unusual with these sets is the possibility of bad front panel control switches. You can unplug the lines to the front panel controls with an inline connector that is found just behind the front cover. Try doing so and operating the set with the remote. If a switch is bad, it can keep the data bus busy and not let anything happen. Power is on a seperate control line, IIRC. If this is the problem, just try pressing the buttons repeatedly to break up any oxide in the switches. Sometimes that works, at least for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem here with WS-55857, V17. Upon turning on the set on front panel or remote the green light comes on and stays on without the usual blinking three times first; and the screen stays black. The grenn light will stay on for about 10 minutes then turn off. Diagonistic codes = 1-2 indicating no erro.

I found looking behind the unit that the CRTs are energized, glowing orange-red at the base when the light is green. I hear a slight crackling sound. The CRTs turn off when the green light goes out.

I found dark-black oily substance on the upper right corner of the PCB-signal board that would be positioned under the (left) CRT(blue). In a similar place under the (center) CRT(green) I found a clear liquid on the PCB-power board. The PCB-main board was fine.

I have yet to check pico-fuses and think I need to clean off the liquids on the boards. Will rubbing alcohol work to clean the boards? Will the boards be shot? What about the 2 STK392-570 ICs were are they located? Lastly, where's the micro-processor and how is it tested?

Thanks in Advance, Mjarophd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually mine seemed to fix itself. I had given up and left the set unplugged for ~2 months then one day a friend came over and I went to show him the issue and lo and behold it turned on just fine like nothing had ever happened. I had inspected mine early on and there was no leakage on the boards though. From what you describe it sounds like your tubes have leaked coolant onto the boards causing a short. When I first had the problem I did some research and it seemed like that might be the issue but as I said mine luckily didn't have any leaks. From what I remember the only fix for the leaks is to pull the contaminated boards out and clean them then either make a catch tray under the tubes or attempt to fix them. There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum on cleaning boards as well as repairing tubes. Unfortunately this only works if no permanent was done to the boards from the leaks. Hopefully your set is repairable as I don't believe replacement parts are available for this set anymore. Good luck and you might try leaving it unplugged for a while it just might come back to life. Here are some links on replacing the leaking coolant.

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.electronics.repair/2004-07/2087.html

http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_E...olant_change_and_advanced_convergence_P50090/

Hope this helps and again good luck to you. Also be careful mucking around inside the set, there is potentially lethal voltage in there.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have a similar problem here with WS-55857, V17. Upon turning on the set on front panel or remote the green light comes on and stays on without the usual blinking three times first; and the screen stays black. The grenn light will stay on for about 10 minutes then turn off. Diagonistic codes = 1-2 indicating no erro.

I found looking behind the unit that the CRTs are energized, glowing orange-red at the base when the light is green. I hear a slight crackling sound. The CRTs turn off when the green light goes out.

I found dark-black oily substance on the upper right corner of the PCB-signal board that would be positioned under the (left) CRT(blue). In a similar place under the (center) CRT(green) I found a clear liquid on the PCB-power board. The PCB-main board was fine.

I have yet to check pico-fuses and think I need to clean off the liquids on the boards. Will rubbing alcohol work to clean the boards? Will the boards be shot? What about the 2 STK392-570 ICs were are they located? Lastly, where's the micro-processor and how is it tested?

Thanks in Advance, Mjarophd
Please post this in a new thread for your set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts