Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I recently purchased a "new to me" RPTV. I had it for 3 days and it worked without issue. When I came home today, I turned the power on, thought I heard it turn on, but yet there was no picture and no sound. I have since been able to get the picture back up but then the sound gets VERY loud then the sound turns off. Then at the same time, I lose picture. I have been researching and reading forums for trying to fix the problem but have given up at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Steps taken thus far:
reset surge protector
code is 2 blinks - pause - 1 blink
purchased brand new surge protector (this is when the picture came back, partially)
code is 1 blink - pause - 2 blinks
no coolant found on boards
filament light up on all 3 bulbs
disconnected front panel controls

Picture doesn't always come back on. I have to reset power first, then picture will come on with fluxing sound then there's no sound for several minutes. Then picture will scramble (fades, picture twists, black screen with r/g/b lines, b/w snow) and then the TV will shut itself off. If I don't reset the power, then I just have a lit up power light, crackling filament sounds and no picture/sound.

Thank you!!
~ C

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like a coolant leak to me. They often occur when sets are moved. Look again more closely for coolant or corrosion. Otherwise, it will take some troubleshooting that is beyond the scope of this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I will look for coolant again. Here's the best part....

After hours spent researching and trying different things I finally went to bed. When I got up I turned on the TV just to see what would happen. It works!

If this is a coolant leak, now that it's working, can I expect it to fail again?

Thanks again - really appreciate your time!

~ C

·
Registered
8 Posts
If this is a coolant leak, now that it's working, can I expect it to fail again?
Yes. My set had issues during the summer of '08; but they just came and went over the course of a few days. I thought it may have had to do with the warm and sticky weather at the time. Then last summer the problems came back, but 'killed' the set. Currently in the process of researching this and attempting to fix it; but it definitely is related to latent issues due to coolant leaks.

So yes, check again for leaks, and clean up as good as you can. Or it may bite you again later.

My $0.02.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes. My set had issues during the summer of '08; but they just came and went over the course of a few days. I thought it may have had to do with the warm and sticky weather at the time. Then last summer the problems came back, but 'killed' the set. Currently in the process of researching this and attempting to fix it; but it definitely is related to latent issues due to coolant leaks.

So yes, check again for leaks, and clean up as good as you can. Or it may bite you again later.

My $0.02.
You work cheap. That is good advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts