Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a WD-57732 dlp tv. the Bulb seems ok- i checked it and it isnt popped or broken. i couldnt see inside for the wires however. there is a small white fuzzy spot in the middle of the bulb glass. however, the tv will not turn on and i get the same red lamp out light after it tries to power up. i can hear the fan try to start then the clicking noise.

when i pushed the menu and input buttons i get a 1-2 blinking code. i heard about the thermal sensor having a recall and we have had countless occasions where the tv would shutdown for blocked airflow even when there was perfect ventilation. in hot or cold temps.

we have only had the tv for a little over a year now. so i believe it will probably be out of warranty. this just sucks cause i was hoping it would last at least 2 yrs. we are heavy PS3 gamers though using hdmi heavily as well for movies and such. but there were times also when we would go whole weeks without using the tv at all!! how much would the repairs cost if needed? anyone? or can i call up Mitsu on the recall and have this resolved for free?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
jeez no takers?? 19 views and not one person can help?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am the one who usually takes technical questions, but I have been travelling with little internet access for the last few days.

First, your lamp is the first thing to try. It will likely solve the first problem.

Second, Mitsubishi has extended the warranty on the thermal sensor issue, so you simply need to call an Authorized Service Center or Mitsubishi and set up a call to have the new sensor installed under warranty.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was wondering if the lamp actually could have gone out because of the thermal sensor issue. meaning that because of the constant on/off switching would cause it to prematurely blow out. this seems to be much too early for the lamp to blow. and the picture was nearly flawless with no probs before it went out. ive done a small fix by moving the thermal sensor wire farther away from the lamp housing, however, this has had no affect on the tv turning back on. it still wont turn on, but the dead lamp (red) light doesnt turn on now? what the is going on here? id this something that mitsubishi can/will fix?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you have a bad lamp, it needs to be replaced. Does the set try to turn on at all? Please be very specific about the conditions, including any patterns of LEDs. Be sure that you have replaced the rear panel properly and the safety switch is closing.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i believe i just figured out (if not then i have solved the lamp issue) the on/off issue.

so i took the lamp assembly out after having tried to move the thermal wire farther away from the lamp housing. i did make sure the lamp door switch was closed when i turned the tv on. still got nothing. the lamp flickered a few times with a very low blue-ish light. i could see this from the back. it did this three times and then shut itself off without any indicator lights on the front going out. so i figured maybe my lamp connector is loose. so i took the lamp and housing out of the tv and inspected the lamp again. it looked completely brand new, BUT i saw that a couple of the mounting screws seemed to be blackened by some sort of soot. i rubbed them with alcohol and this came off. so i then suspected that maybe the bulb somehow burned in some way!?

sooooo, i proceeded to attempt to clean out the small "white cloud" or film that built up just at the middle of the inside of the bulb glass. i used a small q-tip to carefully move around the fillament. when i finished doing this i realized that there were some tiny glass pieces now in the bulb. so i figured that maybe i broke it. but i was sooo careful to not touch the fillament in any forceful way?!?! it seems that i may have rubbed against it a little, but in the process of this happening the glass center seemed to just fall apart. it now has just hit me that the bulb was blown the entire time. but i guess the glass core was just fractured and had not blown apart violently. i guess it was an undetectable blow. the fracture of the center piece of glass ran down the entire glass core to the bottom. i realized now that this illusive "white cloud" was the result of the fillament burning up inside the glass core of the bulb. i could tell because the metal part of the fillament just under the cloudy center of the glass was completely black and pulled apart into two separate pieces quite easily with some pressure.

so there you have it. i hope this helps others who have had the same sort of mysterious issues with their bulbs. and the "white cloud" as well. thanks the help. i appreiciate it. ill be purchasing a new bulb soon since the warranty is up now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts