Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a rear projection 42" HD 1080 series Mitsubishi widescreen model number WT-42311. Bought it Dec 2002.
Sunday afternoon I was watching tv for approx 30 minutes and everything
was fine. I turned the tv off and returned several hours later and went to
turn it back on. It will not turn on.
The tv has sat in the same exact spot since the delivery guys put it down
almost 4 years now. The only other issue I can think the tv had was around 4
months ago. There was a period of 2 or 3 days where the picture turned red
and the image was bent. It would happen out of nowhere. Seemed like simply
turning the tv off and back on again got it back to normal, and after those
couple days it never did it again. Not sure if that has anything to do with
what's going on now.
Please excuse me for not introducing myself properly. I don't have any experience fixing audio/video equipment, but since I started repairing my own pinball machines last year, I like to at least try and find out what the problem might be before I call for service.
Thank you so much for any help,
-Julius in New Jersey

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Most common problem is a shorted convergence output IC, but some troubleshooting will be needed. First, try to power the set up and while it is in shutdown, press the device and menu buttons simultaneously for at least 5 seconds. If the set is in shutdown it will report a sequence of led flashes. Note the sequence and report back.

Sounds like you had a bad connection or intermittent short in a convergence output and it eventually blew, based on the description of the previous problem.

Check out the Googleme map feature on the site and the other forums.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks leonard.
There is no device button on the front of the set. I tried doing it with the input (actaually, I tried the menu button with every other button) button instead. I held in the menu and every other button in turn for at least 5 seconds

If I didn't know any better I would think the set was not even plugged in. It's just dead. No solid green power indicator, no flashing anything. Bummer.

Thanks again,
-Julius

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It sounds like the PS is dead. Time to resort to basic troubleshooting. Is the SMPS running? Likely time to get it to an experienced Mitsubishi tech.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to follow up...
I opened up the TV and saw that there was a blown fuse at the power supply. I think it was a 10amp or something. The local tv shop sold me a fuse for $2 (they did not carry the fuse at home depot or lowes).
Thanks for the help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I hope that you did not replace it with a 10 amp fuse. There are none with that high a rating in the set. Fuses should be replaced with the same value that was designed into the set and one should be aware that fuses rarely blow without something else going wrong. By replacing a fuse without first checking the set, it is possible to do more damage. You may get lucky and that is all that is wrong, but this would be the exception rather than typical.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it was a 2amp fuse. Whatever value was on the fried fuse is what I replaced it with. It was back in Feb, so sorry about the wrong guess. I know about using the correct value fuses, as I have 11 pinball machines that use lots of fuses.
Not knowing at all why this fuse blew, I was thinking maybe it blew because it couldn't take the stress of my wife leaving it on all day ;-) Anyways, I didn't figure out about the blown fuse till after I bought a new TV. Since then, we've moved the 42" Mits down to the gameroom and only use it for Wii. No problems yet.
THANKS!
-Stym

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Fuses rarely blow in these unless something fails or the set is subject to some external power surge. Make sure that you have good surge suppression on all lines into the system and note any abnormalities in the pix such as intermittent convergence.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Mitsubishis WS-65711 model tv and it just went out on me. I turn on the tv and the power light comes on for about 5 seconds then goes off. You can hear something click on then off). I don't get the blinking light that most people are talking about. I tried to power off the tv and unplugged it over night and it still won't come on. I've had this tv for about 2 years (purchased new). Any help would be appreciated on where to start trouble shooting before I call in a professional repair person.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Press menu and input buttons simultaneously for more than 5 sec on the front panel. Note the sequence of flashing of the LED. It will be a two digit code. Report back the result.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is 1-2, 1-2. (two blinks, pause, then two more blinks)

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
1-2 indicates that it is not a shutdown problem. This means that the set is never starting up. You have done about as much as I would recommend without some troubleshooting skills.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it sounds like it's time to bring in the big boys. I'll call the place where I bought the tv and see when they can send out a tech.
Thanks lcaillo!!

Brian

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm having the same issue with my Mitsubishi WD-57731. It just stopped turning on this morning. I pressed the menu and input buttons simultaneously for 5 sec on the front panel. The timer light blinked once, paused, then blinked twice. I was then able to turn on the TV; multiple times. I'm sure something is still wrong but at least I can get it running in the meantime. Thanks for your help. If you have any thoughts on the error msg, they would be appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
1-2 indicates no shutdown condition. If the set is running, there is not much to do. It may have been a fluke or a power glitch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good afternoon,
I have a similar Mitsubishi rear projection TV that is about 6 years old and is experiencing the same issues. I turned it on this morning and it shut off by itself about 30 minutes later. I try to turn it back on and the timer light will come on for about 3 seconds and then shut off without powering on the TV. I pressed the menu and input buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds and the sequence of light flashes was 2-2. Can anyone provide any input as to what the problem could be?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Please start a new thread for each problem, post the model number precisely, and describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Saying you have the same problem as someone else on a similar set does not give much info.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello, I am getting the error code 1-2 as discussed in this forum. A little history: ~ 6 months ago, my convergence chips went out (F9A05 pico fuse was blowing). After reading some forums I found that replacing the convergence chips would fix the problem. I replaced them and the tv was working fine. A few weeks ago my kids came to me and said the Video was gone on the TV. I am trying to get schematics and troubleshooting test points so I can look further into problem. I am not a certified TV technician, but I am an associate engineer with over 10 years experience in electronics; as well as I have most of the tools necessay (DVM's, Oscilloscope, freq. counters,...). Any help with getting schematics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Error code 1-2 indicates that the set did not experience a protection shutdown. So is the set powering up?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts