Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Mitsubishi sets, starting with the early models with ATSC tuning and digital inputs that use the DM modules, have been experiencing a problem with constant flashing of the timer LED and no power. This symptom indicates that the set has not completed the boot cycle that should take about 70 seconds whtn the set is plugged in or reset. This has often indicated a problem in the DM power supply that is caused by defective capacitors. Usually, the fix is to replace the 1000 uF capacitors in the DM module.

Unfortunately, Mitsubishi has been slow to recognize this problem and from the start on these sets recommended replacing the DM for any such problem. The original intent was to "dumb down" the repair process to make it easier to service the sets, reducing all problems to board level repair. Many techs have become accustomed to this type of service, as many manufacturers are moving away form field repair at the component level to board swapping. This makes repairs cost prohibitive in many cases. For instance, the DM for a WS-65813 retails for $435.00. Add labor charges and you have a very expensive repair. Fortunately, many sets can be fixed just by replacing a handfull of caps, if the tech is willing to do his homework, or if one is willing to DIY.

Apparently, Mitsubishi got a supply of sub-standard caps. All of the caps than tend to fail are Jamicon made, and seem to fail by an increase in dielectric absorbtion, followed by d.c. leakage, overheating, then swelling and losing capacitance. The problem may occur before the caps swell in an obvious manner, and may be present even with the set working normally. The problem often shows up only after a power outage or when the set is unplugged. The set will often run normally with capacitors in very poor condition and not present a problem until a boot cycle is attempted.

A very good guide for the WS-xx813 sets:
http://www.fixya.com/howto/h159332-mitsubishi_dm_board_repair

And for a WS-xx859:
http://www.jeremyburns.com/Mitsubishi-Green-Blinking-Light-Fix.pdf
http://hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?t=32186

Refer to the recommended parts distrubutors in the Manufacturer and Vendor Reference Information thread for suppliers for the caps. I highly recommend B&D Electronics for high quality parts and a good selection of caps. They will be happy to discuss the best caps for the application.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, THANX !!!! That will sure help me. You are really good and helpful. You even included pics. Who could ask for more !

Thanx again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mitsubishi paid for half of the repair for the blinking light issue.....power supply etc.

Worth the time to contact them.....it was pretty easy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks! You guys saved me a bunch of money.

Had a power outage Friday night while watching my WS-55511. When the power came back on, it would only give the flashing LED. After some googling, I found this post and replaced the 1000uF caps with some caps I already had in my parts box.

Only cost me a couple hours of my own labor & parts I already had.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a WS-65819 with the 'ole flashing problem.

Would I use the same caps as the above model?

1000uf 105c capacitors?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace the caps with whatever is in the set. Use the lowest impedance caps you can find that fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know where the DM module is on a WS-65819?

Mine looks a bit different then the WS-55859 that had the photos/detailed directions to replace the caps.

Mike

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really do not recall that model. All DMs that I can recall in the CRT based Mits sets are to the left looking from the back of the set in a metal shielded case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts