Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
I would be willing to bet that they did not send the chassis to Mits, or they just sent a board or two. The lines are one of the things that Mitsubishi QCs for carefully.

OK, so my 52525 crapped out last Friday evening. I read this entire thread, along with another that referenced this one, and have decided to follow others' lead and contact Mits about this. I sent them an email (very similar to MrGreg's), and then called them. The entry level tech support I got instructed me to "Press & hold the Menu button for 10 seconds, then enter the code 1-2-3. You will then see a screen letting you know the Reset has been done. If you are still having problems, then call us back". I let him know that I install HD TV's, that I have done some research, mentioned a few tidbits of information about bad cap's, the widespread issue in the 1st gen's, and was told that I need to do this reset before they could proceed. He did let me know that the next step is they will be sending someone out to look at the TV.

Anyone have anything that might help the cause? More than yous already have?

And Mr.Caillo, thanks again for the 'clipping' help with ISF, and now with this. I owe you. Twice..:T

Welcome to the club. If you call Mitsu at 800-332-2119 make sure they give you a reference number. This will be handy with providing documentation to them about your broken TV(repair invoice and purchase receipt). Also, once you make a call and report the problem, when you call back make sure you hit option 8. Do not hit option 5. Option 5 takes you to India or Pakistan for customer service. Option 8 takes to you to someone in North America and can actually help you. The people in India only run interference for your goal to get your TV fixed. When I talked to customer service yesterday, it was confirmed that eventually my 52525 was going to die. It may have happened in 12 or 48 months but it was going to eventually happen.
Hopefully your ASC will be helpful in getting the correct diagnosis.
When did you purchase your TV?

GL

Purchased it in Aug'04, factory direct, through the company I was working for at the time for 50% off retail price. I paid $2498 for TV, stand, shipping & tax. Not bad considering it went for close to $4k when I got mine. Problem is, I dont have a receipt, and the have closed the card account I used to purchase it. Now Mits wants it, one of the hoops I will have to jump through Im sure, and I have no way of getting it. Thank you for the '8 option', I will have to try that when I call them back, again. Love my TV, dont think Im going to love having it fixed...

What exactly did they say to you confirming the expiration date on their product? That would not've gone well with me. What Im told now is I need to bring it to a Mits Authorized service Ctr and have it diagnosed and get an estimate for the repair. I asked if they were going to cover any of the cost and in his best broken English the entry level phone guy repeated the process of getting a diagnosis and estimate. I shall keep yous posted...

I initially thought I purchased my set in January of 2004. It was actually 2005 so I was that much more disappointed that it did not last long. They continued to say that due to the age of the tv and it being out of warranty they could only do .... I asked them many times if I should expect a $2500 tv to last shorter than 48 months or should it be longer?? They never responded.
Continue to gather the information they request, repair estimate with diagnosis, and deal with the people in India. Once they make a decision about what they will assist with, then start dealing with somone in America.

Hello all! I own a WD-62825. Bought it 11/2004 from The Home Theater Store in Houston,TX. I had it about a year and a half before I experienced the flashing timer light. At the time it died quickly to the point where a reset didn't produce any results. I was convinced that the ventilation, ducting and fan placement was the culprit and called Mitsu to complain. Boy was I wrong to think that some cust serv person would care. Of coarse I was promptly told to call a repair tech. Under warranty, a tech with Philips came and spent about 5 minutes doing the same reset procedure that I had done before and told me that the problem was with a switching power supply and was common with this model. He set up a pick up and 3 weeks later I received my repaired set. I was told that the whole chassis was replaced. I had and still do not have a clue as to what the "chassis" is and consists of. But I assumed it included the power supply or DM module as the tech called it.

It has performed very well for me since then with no problems at all except for cleaning the mirror once a year, which I did my self as it was not covered in the warranty. Now I'm having the same flashing timer problem again. I'm not so upset as I have seen other folks on other forums but the inconvenience of is a bit irritating. I can repair board level components but would rather not if I can get someone else, who has the right equipment, to do it. I know I'm speaking to the choir here.

At this point I'm with the others on this forum and with an expired warranty. I just purchased a Samsung 67A750 and I'm eagerly awaiting its delivery soon, but until then I would like to get the Mit repaired and sold even if I have to do it myself. I read the first post listing some of the caps and have read that there are many many more. But if I am to repair it myself, I have some concerns. #1 how difficult is it to remove the chassis? #2 is the circuit board single or double sided? and #3 what is the best way to remove surface mount capacitors? or better yet, to remove any capacitor?

Thank you for your replies!

Hugh

Discussion starter · #50 ·
I do not recommend trying to repair these sets. The boards are very hard to get to and they require too many caps to be practical. I suggest you get an estimate to have the chassis rebuilt by Mits from an authorized servicer, then contact customer relations and ask for some assistance. They have rebuilt many of these at no charge, but usually require that you pay for the local servicer's labor to pull and re-install the chassis.

Update....

Well...... while I was waiting for an email response from Mitsubishi, I decided to perform the annual cleaning and remove the back covering and the lamp and filter and do a good vacuuming and blowout of the accumulated dust. There wasn't much dust to remove but now the th tv is acting fine. its been about 4 days now but not a hiccup (no flashy lights). Wait maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up. I'll give it a few weeks.

Just for info, I did buy the Samsung 67A750 and it has a much brighter picture than the Mitsubishi but it doesn't perform well with SD as the Mitsubishi although, that's not my concern since I don't have HiDef yet and you get used to it after a while. (I'm waiting for Directv to put out the nextgen DVRs from Tivo.) Well......Thanks for being there!

Anyway,

I bought a Mitsubishi WD 52725 in Dec 04. It was about $4,000 including the matching stand. After about 3 years I started having problems after power outages. The timer light would blink, but eventually it would stop and you could turn the set on. Then we had an outage and it would not stop blinking. I starting researching on the Internet and found it was a pretty common problem. This forum was very helpful in explaining the problem. I contacted Goodman TV, the Mits authorized repair center in the Dallas area. The repair estimate was $450 parts, $300 labor, and $75 for the service call. I had to provide Mits a copy of the estimate and the original sales receipt. They agreed to pay the $450 for parts to rebuild the boards. I agreed. They picked up the set on 29 Apr and it was returned on 27 May. I think it was worth it if I can get another 2 or 3 years. The picture quality is excellent. In fact it looks to be better than it was originally! So, if anyone has the same problem my advice would be to repair it. I might change my mind if it craps out again before long. I'll repost if that occurs.

I bought a Mitsubishi WD 52725 in Dec 04. It was about $4,000 including the matching stand. After about 3 years I started having problems after experiencing a power outage. The timer light would blink, but eventually it would stop and you could turn the set on. Then we had an outage and it would not stop blinking. I starting researching on the Internet and found it was a pretty common problem. This forum was very helpful in explaining the problem. I contacted Goodman TV, the Mits authorized repair center in the Dallas area. They determined the problem required taking out the chassis to be rebuilt. The repair estimate was $450 parts, $300 labor, and $75 for the service call. I had to provide Mits a copy of the estimate and the original sales receipt. They agreed to pay the $450 for parts to rebuild the boards. I agreed. They picked up the set on 29 Apr and it was returned on 27 May. I think it was worth it if I can get another 2 or 3 years. The picture quality is excellent. In fact it looks to be better than it was originally! So, if anyone has the same problem my advice would be to repair it. I might change my mind if it craps out again before long.

Sorry for the double post. Here's an update. The set performed for 29 days and the blinking green light of death appeared again. I called the authorized repair service. They picked up the set again. They returned the boards to Mits for a 2nd time. Again, I was without the TV for about a month. They returned the set about 5 weeks ago. There was no charge this time and it has worked fine since. They were vague about how long they will warrent the 2nd repair. The first time was 60 days, but they did not put it in writing.

OK, so I finally got around to bringing my WD-52525 in for repair about 6 weeks ago. Audio Video Service Labs here in Va Beach took about 3 weeks to get back to me to tell me they would get back to me when the tech looked at my set. 10 days later I call them and they tell me its going to be $1105 to replace the chassis and defective light engine, $200 for labor and the $900+ is parts. I get a copy of the estimate and fax it in to Mits this past Friday, get a call from them on Saturday telling me someone would call me in 2-3 business days. Why they couldnt just wait and call me with their solution, I dont know..So, I just got the call from Mits and their offer was they will pay for parts and I cover the labor charge of $200. Sounds feaseable, especially since I have been saving to get the thing fixed or a new TV, whichever was going to be the best way to go. Thanks everybody who had input into this, I will keep yous posted on when I get my TV back and what happens when I do...

Discussion starter · #56 ·
$200 sounds like a great deal. It is very odd that they want to change both the LE and the chassis, but if it works...great for you. Just be sure that it really works right when you get it back.

I have been lurking for a while reading your thread and also have read from other locations that Mitsubishi charges about $200 for the chassis rebuild. I can't seem to find anyone that can send off the chassis for me, with 6 kids and not being employed at the moment paying someone $800-$900 is just not gonna be able to happen. Leonard do you know of anyone you can recommend? I am in the Longwood florida area.

Oh by the way Leonard I saw you are into archery? Is that traditional Archery? I took the kids to TBOf tournament in ocala national forest a few weekends ago and had an awesome time!

Thanks again,

Martin

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Any Mitsubishi ASC could do it. I also hear that they are selling the chassis outright for $200 with no core, though I don't know if that is correct or not. Every one that we have done in a long time has actually been covered by Mitsubishi at no charge, but these are original purchasers.

I was, for many years, a FITA target shooter, recurve only, but not traditional. I have not done much at all in recent years because of nagging shoulder problems. Likely to many hundreds of thousands of shots practicing. Now that the kids are getting to the age that they are seriously interested in shooting and with the new Easton facility in Newberry, we will probably get involved more again. I will finally have to break down and get a compound bow, I guess. After about 30 arrows with the old recurve the shoulders complain.

You should just switch to a lighter weight recurve if you are only target shooting.

I have called around here locally and been getting told no can do. They want to pull the chassis themselves and charge me all the labor. I am not the original owner, but I can pay for the chassis rebuild itself.

Hey I actually have to come up to Gville area to pick up a bunch of blueberry bushes in within the next few weeks. Would I be able to drop off a chassis with you guys while I am there?

Discussion starter · #60 ·
The dealer that I service that is a Mits ASC is Electronics World. You can talk to them and see if they will do it. I no longer get involved in that stuff, just do field service for them. Lots of dealers don't want the hassle of dealing with the shipping, billing, and Mitsubishi accounting (which could be upgraded with an abacus) if they are not going to make the labor. You have to talk to them about it. Somebody somewhere is bouhnd to be willing to do it for you. Have you called Mitsubishi parts and asked if they will just sell you a chassis? You realize that if you send one in you don't get it back, but just get some other rebuilt unit, right?

41 - 60 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.