1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manufacturer : Mitsubishi
Model #: VS-60607
Serial #: 127685

Symptom - Set autopowers down immediately after pressing the power button.

When I plug the TV in the green light on the front blinks 3 times signaling that the microprocessor is working correctly per the service manual. When I press "menu" and "input" right after plugging it in the error code that is given is 12, signifying no error. When I press the power button, I can hear the screen starting to energize and then a click... then nothing, auto shutdown. When I run the diagnostics again, I get error code 23 for Horizontal Deflection Failure.
The TV failed by having red green and blue horizontal lines toward the top of the screen, then the colors on the screen went dull, then black and white, then the picture started to disappear. All over the course of about 15 minutes. The TV was on about 2-4 hours prior to that, and before that it was transported on the back of a pickup truck and installed in a new location. When the picture started to disappear, we turned it off and haven't been able to turn it back on since. Is it possible that this is a convergence issue, a power supply problem, or something completely different? I took the back cover off and checked the four glass fuses on the main board, all tested good. I also looked for spilled coolant ,leaking capacitors or other physical damage and couldn't find any. I have the service manual and schematics in pdf, if that would be of any help to anyone. I read the service manual cover to cover... and it wasn't much help other than getting the diagnostic code.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Coolant on the boards is the most common problem with these sets. Bad connections at the yoke connectors and bad caps on the low voltage regulators have also been seen on these. Convergence amp failures usually result in a 2-2 code.

The service manual gives you the circuit details to apply troubleshooting techniques, but not step by step instructions. You have to have some troubleshooting skills and the right equipment to go much farther.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it fixed. It did turn out to be a coolant leak on the red CRT gun. The leak was concealed behind the heat sinks on the main board and I didn't see it until i removed the front panel. I took the whole PCB out and gave it a good scrubbing with soap and water in the kitchen sink, then dried it off with a hair dryer and put it back in. TV works fine now, no more errors. I also put a roller paint tray under the gun so if (when) it leaks again it won't short out the board.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eric, I am having similar problems with my Mit VS-60607 also. Did you buy the service manual and/or would you consider sharing it with me? I am especially looking for the schematics and troubleshooting guide (if there is one) in the service manual. If you have them on .pdf please email then to me, although I don't know how to have you do this unless we post here a few more times, lol. Let me know if you would even consider it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got it fixed. It did turn out to be a coolant leak on the red CRT gun. The leak was concealed behind the heat sinks on the main board and I didn't see it until i removed the front panel. I took the whole PCB out and gave it a good scrubbing with soap and water in the kitchen sink, then dried it off with a hair dryer and put it back in. TV works fine now, no more errors. I also put a roller paint tray under the gun so if (when) it leaks again it won't short out the board.
I have a Mitsu WS-65515 also with an error 23. When powered on, the timer light will blink for about six seconds and die. No Picture, nothing else happens.....

Washing with soap and water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I would never imagine that posibility. I thought that water and electronics were enemies...Can you elaborate this a little bit more....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Please start a new thread for a new problem, particularly when the set is different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If any of you are willing to post your e-mail in a public forum, or PM it to me... I would be willing to share a copy of the service manual. Unfortunately it was of very little use to me. If you're having the problem where the TV won't power on, I would suggest carefully removing (and labeling) the wiring harness and removing the main board from the machine. Then look the whole thing over for problems. Typically if your tubes are leaking and something got shorted out, there is a visual reference as to what is wrong. Just look at where the water stain is and replace things that don't look normal. I recently fixed another one of these for a friend, and his board had an obviously burnt resistor in the PS circuit. You can wash electronics with water, but you have to make sure all components are completely discharged. And you have to make sure everything is completely bone dry before you apply power again.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you have a coolant leak, it is important to map the affected area BEFORE you remove the board. You want to see where the coolant has been and you don't want it moving to another area. If you are dealing with the signal board, in particular, it is double sided and you need to know where the coolant has been so that you can check the feed thoughs between sides of the board.

The service manual can be very important in these repairs to determine the values of damaged components and to trance continuity, which is usually the problem in coolant damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If any of you are willing to post your e-mail in a public forum, or PM it to me... I would be willing to share a copy of the service manual. Unfortunately it was of very little use to me.
I have sent you 2 emails through hometheatershack.com about the service manual offer, yet you have not responded. Did you get my emails or not, or is this a hollow offer? Please let me know either in this forum or via return email.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts