Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mitsubishi VS-60607 RPTV and it started out a few months ago by "locking up" the controls (remote and front panel), i.e. will not turn off/on, change inputs, volume or chanels until I unpluged it and pluged it back in. The AV reset used to correct the problem before I found out the unplugging worked better. I determined it happened usually when the input button on the remote was used. It has gotten worse until last night, when I turned it on and all I got was a dark screeen and the input display was faint and distorted and way out of convergenge, like 3 different colored displays. It has stayed like that since, unplugging it didn't help. I was told by someone that the convergence ICs were bad but I hadn't gotten around to replacing them yet. Is the dark screen another symptom of the convergence problem? :paddle:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your post was moved to the proper location to maintain forum organization.

More likely you have a coolant leak on the signal board. There is a thread about these problems. I suggest reading it carefully before trying to do anything, then looking VERY closely at the boards and the edges of the CRT frames for coolant or evidence of coolant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow, lol. I'll check those out tomorrow. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, Do you have a search thread to search the forums for like topics? I didn't see one but I am new to your layout. Just asking....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A search thread? I am not sure what that means. There is the option to search each thread at the top of each thread. There is also the option to search the forum inthe menus at the top of every page. Look to the right on the bottom row of options, second from the right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it, that is what I was looking for, Thank you. Now I can look for my specific model instead of looking through all of the threads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I followed the cleaning instructions to the letter, first, mapping out the leaked area, then cleaning it with denatured alcohol and a toothbrush, then running it through a cycle in the dishwasher. I checked all the caps and they looked OK (Didn't run any values on them since I don't have a service manual yet. Still waiting for it via email). I re soldered the convergence ICs (removed them off the board for the dishwasher cycle), but I thing they need to be replaced still. I have the same screen as just before I cleaned the board, Black with the lettering (input) way out of convergence. I don't know if the original problem is still there as I haven't left the set on for that long yet. Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you have a convergence problem start by checking to see if you have control over all colors in both directions. If none, then + & - supplies at the chips and if they are present. If one color cannot be adjusted, change the chips. You may have to change the chips if a supply is missing as well, since it probably caused and open fuse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the + & - supplies supposed to be and on what pins of the ICs (still waiting for the service manual from mrfixit001)? Also can I change the IC chips out with the newer ones from the Hatachi kits you mentioned in other posts, STK394-160? I can drive over to Orlando and pick them up at Acme if I need to.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't recall which chips your set uses, but I don't recommend that sub for anything that you don't know specifically it works. Acme does not sell them anyway. They are only available in the Hitachi kits from authorized Hitachi distributors, except for some questionable chips that are likely copies. When you find which chips your set uses get the repalacement from Acme unless they are 392-110, in that case use the -150.

The supplies are usually between 20 and 30 volts + & -. The exact value varies with the set, so refer to the manual. I do not recall every voltage for every chassis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts