Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

I just received a Mitsubishi WD-52525 from someone who was about to throw it away. I figured I would try to repair it and use it for myself. I used this forum before for a different Mitsubishi model and had great success repairing that one (thanks again Leonard)!

This TV does not power on. When it is plugged in to power, the timer light just continuously flashes. I tried to press menu and input to get the light flash codes but it just keeps flashing. I read in a different thread that these TV's have bad caps sometimes. I am new to the TV repair thing and am looking for some guidance as to the next step in my troubleshooting process. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
These sets have extensive problems with failing capacitors. Both the radial and SMD caps are failing by the dozens. My experience with them is that even if you fix the immediate problem, you will likely be going back and fixing more later. Mitsubishi rebuilds the chassis by starting by replacing well over 100 caps before even doing any testing and troubleshooting. If you don't plan to change all of the radial caps and dozens more SMD caps, you will likely not get a reliable fix. It is a dificult chassis to work on because of the stacking of the boards and enclosure in the metal case. I suggest sending the chassis to Mitsubishi for a rebuild, or buying a couple of hundred caps and some Ibuprofen.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
They have for many of our clients. You have to get all of your documents together, proof of purchase, estimate from a Mits ASC, then talk to customer relations. The Dealer cost on the rebuild of the chass is $300 plus shipping, $500 retail. Labor and estimate charges are dependent on the servicer. I do not know how they handle working with individuals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I decided to tackle this repair myself. I figured I have nothing to lose, (even if i can't fix it) plus it will give me some good practice on my troubleshooting and soldering skills.

I have the entire cabinet disassembled and the electrical chassis pulled out. I separated the stack of boards in the electrical chassis but I am not sure which one is the DM module. I bought the Mits. service manual, but it doesn't really give me a good picture of what the DM module looks like. Any help on locating the DM would be awesome!

Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
IIRC it is the second from the left in the stack looking from the rear. The signal board is the one with the tuners and the one next to it is the DM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I have the DM out. I also noticed some "puffy" caps on the board just to the right of the DM. What is the best way to check to see if a cap is bad?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If they are puffed they are bad. Otherwise you need a tester. Generally, if you want to test caps you measure the capacitance, the ESR, and perhaps DA and leakage if you have the meter to do them all. When in doubt just change them, but be aware that even if you fix the current problem you will be having other problems again in the future if you don't change a couple hundred caps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts