Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Glad to find this site. I have a Mitsubishi ws 55809 that does not power on. When ran the code I got a 2-4 code = "vertical protector". I have been searching but has not found any recommended solution. can anyone help?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
That sounds like the sort of Repair that is going to require a Service Visit. I am not sure if you have the Extended Warranty, but it sounds like the Vertical Circuit Board might not be functioning properly.

While Mitsubishi RPTV's offer tremendous value, RPTV's are more prone to have problems. While I do not recommend Extended Warranties on the vast majority of AV Gear, I do on RPTV's.

I own a Sony SXRD RPTV that had 2 Optical Blocks fail within 10 Months. The Part alone costs a grand. I hope I am wrong about your TV and perhaps someone with more experience with Mitsubishi TV's will chime in.

If it does need Service and you do not have a Warranty, Best Buy has a 60 Inch Mitsubishi 1080p 3DTV for under 800 Dollars On Sale and a 65 Inch for 949 Dollars.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the T/V is not under warranty and just started to have problem after several years of great service until 3 days ago. I was hoping for some "do it your self" repairs within couple of hundred bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
There well might be. This Thread should probably have been started in the TV Subforum as opposed to the Welcome Forum in respect to getting the best information.

However, from what I have read about that Code, the fix would definitely require a fairly solid knowledge of TV Repair. Again, there will be other folks chiming in on this Thread and perhaps someone who is more familiar with the inner workings of RPTV's.

The problem with having a Repair Man come out is that it usually costs at least 100 Dollars just to get them to come. I completely understand wanting to do it yourself. It is just impossible to gauge your background with DIY Repairs as you have just joined us.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you help and have a lot to learn on where to place future threads. Do I need to repost this thread on the TV subforum? If so how do I do it. I will be glad to do it.
I feel confident in DIY tasks as I have experance in work around electronic such as soldering and desoldering and reading ohm and volt meters both in automotive and household electronics. I welcome any information. I was hoping the code 2-4 repair would be simular to repairs for the code 2-2 such as replacing IC s and fuses.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I meant to move it last night and honestly fell asleep before doing so. I am truly sorry that I did not move it prior.
Good luck with the TV from the sound of it, you have a Background where a DIY fix is possible.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Vertical problems are usually either a bad connection, bad vertical IC, or bad supply. In some sets you can get a vertical code even though the underlying problem is power supply or horizontal failure. If the problem is not a simple bad solder joint, you likely need some skilled troubleshooting. This kind of thing can range from trivial to nearly impossible to find. You need to eliminate the trivial possibilities like a bad solder connection first. If you don't know how to do that, get a pro, just make sure it is a real professional and not just one of the many that will do service calls or claim to be repairmen. There is a dearth of the former and a proliferation of the latter these days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks lcaillo for responding.
I have read several of your tech comments and I am glad to here from you on my vertical problem. I ahve removed the back of the TV and have identified Pica fuses mentioned in 2-2 code issues, is there a particular connections to start checking. I feel pretty comfortable trouble shooting the unit just not familiar with this unit as I have no schematics. If you know where I can down load the schematics for the ws55809 I would appreciate it or any info you care to share with me as to where to start.

Thanks
Potiphar

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Follow the circuit from the deflection yokes back to the vertical IC. Those are the most likely place for badd connections to occur.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There are sources for schematics, some free and some for a fee, in the stickies in the Service and Support areas and in the vendor listings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts