Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help with my above mentioned TV. It would cut out after flashing some squiggly lines (5-15 sec). Sometimes the lines were red, green, or white if that helps at all.

I pushed the menu and input buttons and an error code of 2-1 was given. Any ideas what this code means?

If it is just the convergence IC's it would probably be worth the DYI. If it's much more than that I think I may have to say good bye!

Sorry for the noobish post/description. Thanks in advance!

Frog

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A 2-2 error would be the code if you had a convergence problem. 2-1 is a high voltage protect. Troubleshooting this is not a good choice for a DIY job. I highly suggest you contact a professional. These areas require some experience with high voltage and deflection circuits and are likely to require equipment that most DIYers would not have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, lcaillo!

I took a look in the back but, without drawings, the only thing I can say is that nothing is obviously burned out.

I doubt it's as simple as replacing the power supply or coil... more importantly you are right in the fact that I don't have an oscilloscope handy :D

I'll give a call to one of the guys in your link to see if it is worth fixing.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Keep us updated on what you find and the solution to the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called a couple of places to check on approximate prices to have someone come out and take a look at the TV. One place I was forwarded to from NESDA member (the member didn't service Mitsubishi's) and another NESDA member.

The approximate price to fix (40-50% of a new above average quality tv) is what I would consider not worth fixing given the age of the TV and the "what else could go wrong" factor due to its age and having (I guess standard) 90 warrenty on the repair.

I come home to give it another shot:R and now the TV is giving me a 1-2 error code which I think means all clear... But there's still no picture. I had the speaker turned off (surround system takes care of the center) so no idea if sound is going through.

Any other input or thoughts on what could be wrong is greatly appreciated! :scratch:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A 1-2 code means that the set is not recording a shut down error. Try pulling the connector to the front panel controls and see if it works. Bad switches can tie up the bus and not allow normal operation.

While consumers often insist on getting a repair range before the set is evaluated, the problem with this is it forces a shop to guess high. This means that when a problem is less serious a customer may never know because the never get the set checked. You could have a bad connection, bad switches, or other minor problem that might cost half what they suggested or less to repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see your point about asking for the price range. I guess it is worth the cost of disagnosis... for some reason I am kind of attached to this TV. :coocoo:

I disconnected the front panel and turned on the TV. Still no picture. With the front panel off I can see that the tubes are glowing orange but not really putting out any light.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lcaillo, I would like to thank you for your sound advice and taking the time out to respond to my thread. It really is greatly appreciated. :clap:

Ok, so I had a repairman come over and have a professional look at the TV. As it turns out, there was a coolant leak on the main video processing board and one of the other boards. The coolant ate through some of the interconnects and there was some charing from a few of the components burning out.

I had a look for this type of damage before the tech came over but his trained eyes spotted the dammage in no time flat. It appears that the main board is no longer available so the set is officially a boat anchor!:rolleyesno:

I guess some people would consider having someone take a look at the TV a waste but I was particularly fond of this TV. It was worth the shot of trying to save a TV. In short a small price to pay for a litttle certainty.

It's shopping time!:D

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
While it can be a tedious job, most of these boards can be repaired. We have about a 90% fix ratio on the coolant damaged sets. If you don't do a lot of them, however, they can be a challenge. If you don't have a local servicer who fixes the boards routinely, you are likely better off moving to a new set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts