Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the past month, my set has intermittently been losing the blue color rendering a wonderful pink and green picture. I have had a certified repairman in twice. The first attempt at solving my problem left the overall picture color dull and then developed wavy blue lines in the background (horizontal). This morning the tech came back to "rejuvenate" my CRT's.

He remarked that the blue and green seemed to rejuvenate nicely, however the red is now either overpowering and causing whites to look pink...or if adjusted down causes color bleeds and slight blurriness. He said there is nothing left to do besides replace (at least) the red crt.

Now the fun begins... According to the repair tech and his parts guy, Mitsubishi stopped making these parts for my model. This seems odd for a set that is only 5 years old.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It sounds like the tech tried to adjust the balance between the CRTs using the G2 (screen) controls. This would cause the color bleeding. The G2 needs to be set carefully to the spec in the service manual then the gray scale is adjusted in the service menu.

It is unlikely that the CRTs needed rejuvenation. More likely you have a bad ground or a bad connection on one of the CRT boards. This was a problem with some of these sets. Sounds like you need a tech who has a clue. I would get another opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? That would account for random loss of the color blue as well?

I will definitely get a second opinion...thanks!!!

Here is another quick question about advice from this tech. My son hooked up his sony playstation to this set and left an orange screen of the game overnight. Ever since I have had screen burn on the entire screen (except for the sides that are black when in 4x3 mode). The tech said my red crt is most likely the cause and to replace it as well.

Does this sound like a reasonable suggestion?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
An intermittent loss of a color suggests a bad connection, not a CRT that needs restoration. Burned phosphors are not something that you diagnose as being "likely" the problem. You take off the screen, look into the lens with a flashlight and observe the burn pattern on the phosphor. If there is differential aging (burn-in) then there is nothing that can be done to reverse it. You can try to age the areas that are not burned to match, and with normal viewing that may occur to some degree, but not much improvement can be expected. If you change one CRT on a set that age, you need to change all three. It is unlikely that you will get good gray scale tracking on the set with one new CRT and two old ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts