Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From other threads I assume this is a convergence+fuse issue. Opening the back there are three boards, two green and one larger brown board. The tech wants $237. to repair the tv in house so I would like to take a shot if it is just a couple of soldered connections. Could someone here guide me through the process of repairing the TV. The TV worked fine until I connected an Xbox 360 to it.

Thanks in advance
Kimmer

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the advise provided (change the convergence curcuits and picos) I have decided to remove the chasis and take it to the tech for this work. All the wire connections have been numbered for reconnection however there are three red wires which are relatively large as well as one white wire I don't know how to disconnect. They appear to be power to the three bulbs. They are located on the right side above the power cord. The red wires seem to be connected via a spring mechanism inside the connector and the white wire is quite firmly attached without the spring connector. I have pulled on them but do not want to force something unwittingly. Please advise.

Kimmer

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The red wires are the anode leads and suply the 30,000 volts to the CRTs. They come out by twisting the cap to release.

I do not recommend this method of servicing the unit. Even if you get all of the wiring routed exactly as it was before removing the chassis, there will always be some convergence adjustment needed when doing these repairs. Also, the tech will only be swapping parts, as it is impossible to test the set without the tubes. These sets have a removable light box that makes it easy to bring everything into the shop to at least be able to test it. You still need to install it in the set to align it.

As a servicer, I refuse jobs like this, because there is no way that I can verify my work nor assure the quality of the outcome, other than the installation of the parts. There is always the possibility that the 2-2 error is something else, or that there are other problems that caused it. I just had a set in this chassis series that would eat convergence ICs after a few hours and it turned out to be a problem in the -24v supply that would never have been found if I could not test the set live.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts