Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mitsubishi WS55807 tv manufactured in August of 2000. It currently has a problem with the screen turning light gray (smoky) for long periods of time and then back to normal. The picture is still viewable, but it is very light through the gray " overcast" appearance. None of the video controls work in this state (brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, tint). We had a repair man come out and check it. He said the green tube is going out, and adjusted it as best he could to resolve the problem. This lasted for a few days, but the problem returned. He advised at the time he was here that to fix the problem would require replacing the tube. He recommended that to do the job right, all three (green, red, blue) should be replaced with new, as adjusting one new tube to compensate for the older tubes was not advisable. Replacing all three would cost $1000 plus. Obviously if this is true, it would be better to scrap the TV and put the money toward an LCD. Assuming the tubes need to be replaced, is this something a DIYer could do? Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
rdyadon

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What you describe does not sound like a bad tube. If it is intermittent it is likely something else. If it was a tube you would likely not get a gray but a dominance of a single color or lack of a color. When you say that the controls do not work, do the values on the OSD not change or do they not seem to have an effect? What sources are you using? Does the menu also look the same or is it normal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply.

The controls are accessed using my Mitsubishi remote control. They do function on the screen, but have no effect on the quality of the picture (only when the screen is light gray). The menu on the screen looks normal.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the menu looks normal your service tech was a dope. If you had a bad tube there is no way that the menu would look normal. You have a video level problem, not a tube problem. What sources? What inputs? What resolutions? Does PIP look the same? If you want help you have to be very specific.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry I have not been able to respond back until now.
I will be a specific as I can. Our TV has nine inputs - 2 antenna, 4 a/v/s-video, 2 component, 1 DTV. We have dish network for our provider. We watch TV only through the 1080i DTV channel, as we have the HD package. We can watch through Input 1 (480i) as well through the S-video connection. The DTV and S-video connections come directly from the satelite receiver. We also have the DVD player connected directly through Component 1 input. All audio goes through our home theater receiver.
The menu on the TV is not an indpendent screen, but is an overlay that displays over the picture. When the TV screen flips to the gray, hazy dispay, the menu works the same, it is just lighter. Again, we can see the picture through the haze. The video controls I mentioned earlier are accessed through a Vidoe button on our remote control. Each of the options shows up individually as an overlay near the bottom of the picture. I scroll through the different options using the up/down feature of the adjust button. The PIP option works normally when the screen is hazy in that the screen stays hazy, but we can see the picture-in-picture through the haze. The haze occurs on all input options (DTV, Input 1, Component 1, and on DVR recordings) and can last several hours.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
So the menu is hazy as well? That narrows it down a bit, but I still doubt seriously that you have a tube problem. This is either a bias problem or a video problem. It will likely take some troubleshooting that is beyond DIY level, but you should be able to find a more capable tech than the one who suggested changing all of the tubes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help on this issue.

Is there any reputable service tech/company you can recommend in the Sacramento Area?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't know of any but call around and find the ones that are familiar with your set and willing to tackle the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts