Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well long story short, I still haven't gotten around to building my subs 15" TC-2000's, far to many projects got in the way, but I'm leaning toward going sealed instead of ported, and with my room size, I could go with 4 subs pretty easily... I figured that If I was going to buy drivers, I may as well go with a couple of decent 18"....

Please don't ride me on ported vs sealed....

Wondering whether mixing them together would be a problem, or not....

If not what suggestions for 18" drivers and volume box, amp power....

Thanks

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
You have TC-2000's and you're not using them!! :drool: just kidding.

The 2k's are pretty capable woofers but the best bet is to always have the same drivers all around in the system. That way you can get the most out of the entire system without placing excessive strain on the weaker components. If you want 18's sell your 15's and buy 4 of them. I'll see what I can model up for you in a bit. Is there a budget? Size constraint for the box?

Iron laws of sub design - price, performance, size - pick 2 :bigsmile:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I also have the 2- QSC 2502's lying in wait for them as well..
I could go with 2 more 15" drivers, but I figured there weren't alot of really great quality drivers out there that match what the tc-2000's bring to the plate... any suggestions would be great, but I doubt I will be buying the Audiopulse Axis drivers off parts express for $700.00 each, I could get a pair of 18's for that...

I really wish I could get 2 more 15" 2000's but that doesn't look like that will happen...
If I could find something that would blend well with the 2K's That would be ideal.

This Fall is when I want to buckle down and start building....

Room is 8200^3 open to everywhere, its swallows subs up quite easily...
Dual Plus/2's in there now, don't have the impact that I get from my JL F112 in a 1700^3 bedroom. I miss that punch... and I am loving the Sealed nature, not all that concerned about low tune, but with enough drivers I know I'll get it...

I thought most 18's were going in a 4.5 cu ft box.. roughly... that size is no problem, and could be bigger. Plus/2's are roughly 6.5^3 each.
I have actually become accustomed to the Plus/2's in my room, they make for nice looking furniture/end tables.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Ok, here's some plots for you. I modeled your TC's against some RLP18's from Soundsplinter. They are both modeled with 2 per box so effective volume has been doubled. This is the same as modeling one in a box half the size. Each SPL graph is with 1000 watts input for 500 watts per driver.

For a Q of .707 the RLP's require a pretty big box. 9 cubes per driver. I also modeled them in a box equivalent to the 4.5 cubes you mentioned but the Q is up aroun .85. This can be solved with eq but at the expense of output on the low end. A Q of .85 would be naturally 'punchy' as it would overemphasize the upper bass frequencies.

19 Cubes Sealed

19 Cubes MAX SPL

9 Cubes Sealed

9 Cubes Max SPL

6 cubes 15 TC2000

6 cubes 15 TC2000 MAX SPL

So even in a smaller box the RLP's hold about a 4 db advantage over the TC's, and none of these systems are coming close to their xmax, but I'm not sure you'd want to send too much more power to them.

I know you didn't want us to try to talk you into a ported design. Why are you leaning towards sealed? Here's just one of your TC2000 in a 9 cubic foot box tuned to 18hz.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The more and more I was working out the equations on a ported system, I really started to doubt how much I wanted to put those massive boxes into my room... I really prefer the non obtrusive look I have going, but 9-10^3 is getting overbearing for me.

Maybe I'll just stash the TC-2000's away for another project, and work on 3-18" drivers, I can always add a 4th if need be. My room layout works well with 3 drivers, and its not square, I have vaulted ceilings starting at 9 ft on one side to 20ft on the other... I have a relatively flat response with minimal eq with the Plus/2's.
I was looking at the Maelstrom X, it is said to work well in a 6-7^3 sealed... which would put me right back into roughly the same size cabinets.... I like sealed subs and I'm very happy with the response. I figure with enough large drivers I can overcome the gentle dropping response slope, and eliminate the need for a highpass filter...

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could just buy one Maelstrom X and see how it sounds and if it sounds good buy 2 more. You already have the amps so why not? 6 cubes for the Maelstrom X is a good size looking at the models.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Well long story short, I still haven't gotten around to building my subs 15" TC-2000's, far to many projects got in the way, but I'm leaning toward going sealed instead of ported, and with my room size, I could go with 4 subs pretty easily... I figured that If I was going to buy drivers, I may as well go with a couple of decent 18"....

Please don't ride me on ported vs sealed....

Wondering whether mixing them together would be a problem, or not....

If not what suggestions for 18" drivers and volume box, amp power....

Thanks
Mixing them wouldn't be a problem as far as they are placed symetrically in the room and vis-a vis of listening position in order to obtain adequate coupling. That's the equaltion to solve IMO. I am also assuming your room is rectangular or something.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mixing them wouldn't be a problem as far as they are placed symetrically in the room and vis-a vis of listening position in order to obtain adequate coupling. That's the equaltion to solve IMO. I am also assuming your room is rectangular or something.
Hey Blaser....

My room is not symmetrical what so ever (9ft ceilings running up to 20ft)... It is 8200 cu ft, open to every where, I have found it is very easy to get my subs flat in this room, but even dual Plus/2's will not provide me with the amount of quality bass that I would like to achieve. They are powerful subs, but not as accurate as I have grown to appreciate, just too flabby for me....

In the First Pic, I was thinking of putting the 18"s in the front left and right rear where the Plus/2's now reside. and the 15's - 1 behind the plasma and 1 behind the LP in the second pic.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Warpdrv/HT-Great Room/IMG_1934.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Warpdrv/HT-Great Room/HTPics013.jpg
Down the road I will be working on treating the room more, carpet and ceiling treatments, but they have to be tastefully done so I will be working with a acoustician.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you're not wanting to mix and match subs, obviously getting more TC2k's would be the way to go, but since they're not available, the SDX-15 is your next best bet. Similar performance, in identical enclosures. They're basically a drop-in replacement.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're not wanting to mix and match subs, obviously getting more TC2k's would be the way to go, but since they're not available, the SDX-15 is your next best bet. Similar performance, in identical enclosures. They're basically a drop-in replacement.
I'm not against mixing them, I was more concerned if it would be an issue. I have looked into the SDX's, but I thought I remembered reading that they start to distort at higher levels more so then the TC2K's, correct me if I'm wrong...

Also I could replace my Plus/2's with relatively the same size cab's with 18's sealed and maintain the same sort of look I have going now, as well as boost the lowend with those 18's.... I guess its worth a try to see what happens....

Any new news on the Sicko-18's?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any new news on the Sicko-18's?
They are vaporware until Kevin can find someone to build them for cheaper. He's trying to keep them in the $1500 price range & the vendors he's been negotiating with would charge him so much for tooling he would have to charge $2000-$3000 each.:yikes:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are vaporware until Kevin can find someone to build them for cheaper. He's trying to keep them in the $1500 price range & the vendors he's been negotiating with would charge him so much for tooling he would have to charge $2000-$3000 each.:yikes:
Thats a dam shame, as we are well over due for someone to come up with something that will come out on the market that will compete with the now lost but not forgotten LMS's....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One can get LMS's still for ~$500-$800 a piece.
Are they really that good?

LMS's.... show me where.... and I don't mean 12" I'm talkin 15's or 18's... I see Funky waves and partsexpress has some drivers, but they are not LMS's....

The best drivers they have are TC-2000 or 3000's, I am not sure which one the Axis driver most resembles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts