Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question. is it "ok" to mix subwoofers? i had an HSU STF-2 HERE in my room prior to building the shiva. for the last 6 months or so, the HSU has just sat in the corner of the basement. i considered moving it up to our living room, but i have the first sub i ever purchased up there from 11 years ago (jbl sub-10). i considered locating it in the movie room, but am wondering if this would be ideal.

OR

would i be better off getting another shiva (gen I or II) to match the current sub? not sure what to do at the moment...

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I used to be very OCD about sub mixing, but I have seen so much of it here that I have learned if you do it right, shouldn't be a problem.

Im sure many will chime in and help you with placement, alignment, phasing... and all the goodies! I'd get your hands on REW and a mic in the mean time and start playing :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
quick question. is it "ok" to mix subwoofers? i had an HSU STF-2 HERE in my room prior to building the shiva. for the last 6 months or so, the HSU has just sat in the corner of the basement. i considered moving it up to our living room, but i have the first sub i ever purchased up there from 11 years ago (jbl sub-10). i considered locating it in the movie room, but am wondering if this would be ideal.

OR

would i be better off getting another shiva (gen I or II) to match the current sub? not sure what to do at the moment...
Tote it up there and give it a try. It isn't like mixing whiskey and wine. It is allowed but the best way to determine if you like it or not and if it is going to give you good/bad results, is to try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have mixed a few subs,ported and sealed and both in the same room and if you can get them to play nice together they sound great. Sometimes you will find you get some cancellation with the subs fighting eachother but if you run EQ and can set the phase correctly you should be good to go....

·
Registered
4 Posts
quick question. is it "ok" to mix subwoofers? i had an HSU STF-2 <snip> in my room prior to building the shiva. for the last 6 months or so, the HSU has just sat in the corner of the basement. i considered moving it up to our living room, but i have the first sub i ever purchased up there from 11 years ago (jbl sub-10). i considered locating it in the movie room, but am wondering if this would be ideal.

OR

I would encourage you to mix the subs... room placement is more important than the type of sub... I currently have 4 subs playing in ~ 12,000 cu foot room, one in front right corner, two 20 feet back 1/3 and 2/3 across room bracketing the main seating sofa, and one on 2nd floor walkway across room. These drive the room modes ideally from these positions... might read the Harmon Kardon papers on multi subs, or the work by E. geddes on multi subs... pretty much confirmed what i noticed in the mid '90's when I started using more than one.

John L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts