Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between to subs....

The Mach 5 MJ-18M, two of them in an IB
or Exodus DPL-15, two of them in an IB

They'll be driven by a ep1500 (to be purchased)

Any opinions on which will be better?

Robbie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to model them now, but I'm new to WinISD so I'm a little slow.

I can seem to get it to peak very low.....I think I'm setting up WinISD correctly for IB.

Mike - thanks for the help, I look forward to seeing your graphs.

Robbie

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Here ya go!

It appears (and it makes sense looking at the numbers) that the DPL 15 would be the way to go. The MJ has it edged on max SPL up high, but the 15 has more output down low and a much more manageable response curve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats about what I came up with as well, glad to see I have figured out WinISD anyway.

Looks like it will be two of the Exodus DPL 15s for my IB.

I decided on the IB after the previous thread because of simplicity. The price is of course going to go up, but thats alright.

Thanks again for the help guys, I'll update as I beging building.

Robbie

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know that you have most likely already made your purchase but this is more to anyone who is reading this and researching prior to their own purchase.

When looking at 18" vs 15" it is very easy to get tied up with size. When looking at a build for an IB application I myself looked at cost but more so looked at how much room I had to build my IB space and how much air I could move with 18" vs 15" speakers. When I did the math and research I found that for the cost vs space needed I could use 4 - 15" more efficiently than 2 - 18". Then I looked at overall SPL and made the choice to go ahead and spend the extra money and do my build with 8 of the DPL15's and a Face 1200 amp. That way I have the best of both worlds. I have the added sensitivity of going with the extra drivers with a reduced effort on the drivers to give me good SPL if needed.

Yeah, I know, it was overkill but Kevin was great to work with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts