Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my next IB will be 2-4 MJ18's , YAY. I crossed the specs with my next previous IB drivers , the Daytons and the don't look THAT different . Has anybody heard both?

Also, what sort of power do the MJ's like? I had a PE 240 plate for the Daytons and it did a good enough job. I was thinking about a Nady 900 for these guys. Thoughts?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MJ-18M will take 300 watts each to reach Xmax at 20 hz, as long as there is a subsonic filter at 16 hz. I'm pretty sure the PE 240 plate amp has a subsonic filter at 18 hz. The Nady is 300W @ 4 ohms, but you will also need a subsonic filter, like the Reckhorn B1.

Mike, what are your thoughts on the Bash 300 or even 500 watt amps? Like I said the 240 did not leave me wanting for much.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2 to start. I'll see if I need the other 2 at that time. I usually don't listen too loud nor do I run it too hot.

------------------------------
Ƞ
Typing that gave me an idea. I asked Otto if he unhook 2 drivers and see if the other 2 can hold their own. Our rooms are close to the same size, his being the larger.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
MJ-18M's are single 4 ohm. Two wired in series is a 8 ohm load to the Bash 500 watt amp. The amp will produce 250 watts into 8 ohms. That's not much power to each sub, but if you don't listen too loud it should be OK. I believe the Bash 500 amp can have the subsonic filter altered. You should check into that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mike, would the Behringer A500 Reference Power be better?

? The spec says

You get true audiophile-grade performance that delivers 2 x 230 watts into 4 ohms or 500 watts into 8 ohms bridged, with enough headroom to always keep you on the safe side. The A500's advanced convection-type cooling system guarantees stable, noise-free operation, while its servo-controlled design can drive virtually all passive speakers. Specifications: *Output power (1 kHz, 0.1% THD) per channel stereo: 160 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 230 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. *Output power (1 kHz, 0.1% THD) bridged mono: 500 watts RMS @ 8 ohms. *Weight: 18.5 lbs. *Dimensions: 4" H x 19" W x 10.85" D

So I could run 1 driver off of each channel or bridge it to squeeze just a little more juice out.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-749

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the AE IB15s? $400 for 4 is a bargain.

myn, I had looked at those and they were a strong possibility but I was in the right place at the right time so I am able to get the MJ18's at a very good price. I had the Dayton drivers in a previous set up and was wondering if anybody had heard both the Daytons and the Mach 5's and could give a brief comparison.

Thanks for the input, though.

Mike, I'll probably go with that amp then. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went with none of the above. I found a Peavey on Ebay this morning, bid and won it for just over $100. Since the drivers are 8ohm, I can run them 2 per channel and get 300 WPC at 4 OHM.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, that's lovely. Oh well, if it works great. If not I'll be able afford an upgrade around Valentines day.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, he had all of the numbers screwed up. 600 watts is power consumption, 130 is at 4ohm, not 8 as he had listed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike, thanks again for finding that info. I sent the seller a message with quotes from the manual to back it up.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Yeah, I think you're doing the right thing in trying to cancel the auction. The numbers represented in that auction were wrong (probably not intentionally, but they were misleading, and there is no question about that).

I think that seller has enough of a positive feedback rating and experience that he won't give you any trouble. He also has a decent return policy and since he's probably not shipped yet, you'll be OK.

Did you already pay him or is that still pending?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts