Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the group, just getting REW set-up on my laptop, am going to use the old model RS sound meter, Model 33-2050.
I'm mostly concerned with the lower frequencies, out of curiosity I opened the cal file using wordpad, I saw the value for 20hz was - 17.04, 16hz was - 20.63, both which sounded high. I also downloaded and opened the cal file for the newer model, 30-2055, it showed - 9.05 at 20hz and -12.66 at 16hz, which sounded closer for the newer analog meter.
All the values for the newer model showed less extreme then the 33-2050. After reading several articles on the accuracy of the older model verses the newer models I expected the opposite ! Am I in error what these cal files mean ?
Looking foward to using REW and I'm sure I'll have questions in the future. Thanks to any help/explanation you can give me.
Dave

·
Registered
239 Posts
Neither meter is really oriented toward good low frequency performance, and not particularly great above 3kHz either. Cal files will show differences for every meter/microphone. Typically the higher the boost, the further into the devices noise floor the signal is.

Regards,

Andrew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts