Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some 20" sonotube and 6" PVC for the port and I plan on getting an SDX15 coupled with a BASH500. Want to dig as low as possible and this is 100% home theater (Blu-ray). Was thinking around 400L, but there is NO WAF, so can go as big as I want.....

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
400 liters would be as big as you'd want to go. You won't gain much in a bigger size. The Bash 500 would need the Hi-Pass filter set to 13.9 hz as shown in the boost table documentation. Maximum air speed is 29 m/s with a 6 inch port 19.5 inches long. You should flare the ends with MDF "doughnut" rings.

Text Font Line Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no advantage. The lowest the Hi-Pass filter can be modified is 13.9 hz. Tuning to 13.5 hz will result in a less output in the 15 to 20 hz range where most of the low frequency information is.
That's what I was thinking. And this is still only a 15" driver, so there's no benefit to going any lower.

If this was in a sonotube design, what's the best dampening material, or should I even bother?

·
Registered
430 Posts
A highpass filter is only needed if one is going to push the limits of their sub. The lower it's tuning, the smaller the chance of finding that limit. Depending on the tuning, output levels demanded, and electronics, it may be possible to eliminate the HP filter all together.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A highpass filter is only needed if one is going to push the limits of their sub. The lower it's tuning, the smaller the chance of finding that limit. Depending on the tuning, output levels demanded, and electronics, it may be possible to eliminate the HP filter all together.
Yeah, I wish those BASH amps didn't come with an HP at all....it would be way better that way.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
It's the way the amp is designed, all HPF's in the Bash amps have an amount of boost associated with it. Minimum is 1 db, and goes all the way up to 5 db. If a sub design rolls off early you can boost the bottom end with the appropriate HPF and boost. The various HPF's allow the amp to be optimized for a variety of box sizes and tuning frequencies.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's the way the amp is designed, all HPF's in the Bash amps have an amount of boost associated with it. Minimum is 1 db, and goes all the way up to 5 db. If a sub design rolls off early you can boost the bottom end with the appropriate HPF and boost. The various HPF's allow the amp to be optimized for a variety of box sizes and tuning frequencies.
That's interesting. Nice way to avoid that dreaded "cliff" at 20hz or so, LOL!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.