Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, we have all done it, and it was my turn. I was listening to rap music, went into the shower, and while I was there i heard the sub going crazy and dying, and by the time I was out and dried of, the driver had a constant crackling noise at even the most minimalistic volumes.

After nearly a year, I want to replace the stock driver. It is a Monitor Audio Radius360 Subwoofer. It is a, 8" "ultra long throw driver," according to the website. Here are two pictures of the enclosure.

(replace the hxxp with http)
hxxp://pimpmypod.org/theatre/sub

The cabinet has a port volume of 11.375 x 4.25 x .625 inches or .0195 cubic ft.
The cabinet's volume itself is 11.25 x 7.25 x 10.5 inches or .496 cubic ft.

I'm really just looking for a replacement sub to use wherever, this doesn't not need to have barely any power, just enough to not blow up again. I don't need science really, I'm just trying to pick between the eight that are on parts-express.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How long have you had that Radius360? The woofer is covered for five years, the amplifier for two years. Why not get it repaired, if it's under warranty? Also, have you tested the woofer independently? Woofer failures are quite rare for that unit.

I'd really be concerned about the efficiency of that Tang-Band woofer - only 81dB at one watt! The Radius360's amplifier is not that powerful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, i found out what was wrong with the driver, but I don't know if it would be covered by the warranty. If you look at the website given to the first post, you see the yellow part of the actual driver. The outside the yellow paper stuff is then glued to the outside of the speaker. All around the edge of the yellow paper, it has come free of the glue. If I hold down the yellow paper so that it doesn't keep hitting the metal, the sub sounds perfect.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What you describe is that the glue joint between the spider and frame has come apart. There should be no problems getting this covered under warranty, so long as the purchase date was less than five years ago - as it should be, because I don't think that the Radius360 has even been in production for that long.

From where did you purchase it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts