Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I want to give a shout out to Monoprice.com. First off I have no affliation with the company.

Last week I purchased a 50 ft HDMI 22AWG cable from the website. I recieved it last night via UPS. Well i went to hook it up and pushed the reciver back into the shelf and the HDMI cable twisted and subsequently broke. I emailed monoprice to request a return. They contacted me quickly and requested I send a picture. I did. They replied immediatly and said that they would send me a new cable free of charge!

Thank You so much Monoprice and you have definitly earned all of my future business! :clap::bigsmile::T

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have been a customer of Monoprice for a few years now and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Everyone I have recommended them to has thanked me for doing so as well. It's funny though, some people refuse to believe that you can get high quality cables for low cost and off they go to Mon$ter to waste their money:spend:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Well, the distribution and other operations are, but the manufacturing is not for likely most of their product line. Not saying that any other company is having their HDMI cables made 100% in the USA (don't think the good ol' US has the manufacturing capabilities set up), just being clear.

But yes, monoprice has more of it's operations based in the US than many other companies.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I bought all of my HDMI cables at monoprice and am exceptionally happy.
Yet, I bought once 3 HDMI-DVI adapters, and 2 of 3 broke the next day, their parts just "disassembled" in my hands..

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have a bunch of cables from them and also some faceplates. The aesthetics are not as nice as other cables or faceplates but they work. The faceplates are cheap plastic and not the same quality as Leviton, but they were a fraction of the price. They wouldn't stand up to heavy use (ie: a lot of plugging in and out by rough people) but for normal use they more than adequate.

I have a 25ft 22 WAG HDMI cable and it's not pretty like a monster cable, but it's run through a conduit and then hidden behind the projector at one end and attached to a faceplate on the other (ie: nobody sees it). It works flawlessly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a bunch of cables from them and also some faceplates. The aesthetics are not as nice as other cables or faceplates but they work. The faceplates are cheap plastic and not the same quality as Leviton, but they were a fraction of the price...
My sentiments exactly.

Based on the price, I assume most of their stock is made in China. There's just no way you can get stuff this cheap if it's made in the USA. That said, you don't always need high-quality parts, with the associated high prices.

I get most of my interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable, but my speaker wire, faceplates, and such are almost exclusively purchased from Monoprice.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Based on the price, I assume most of their stock is made in China.
Even Leviton stuff is made in China, Shenzen I beleive.

Pretty much everything is made in China these days or at least some part of it is. It's really cheap to manufacture in China and good products can come out of there, but with a lot of quality assurance processing involved.

Companies are forced to look to China to stay competitive. If one company is doing it then all others have to follow suit if they want to stay in the game. Typically only higher end products, or products that cost too much to ship back and forth (ie: car chassis), are manufactured in North America, Europe and Japan.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.shtm

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anytime one of my friends start talking audio/video I always put in a plug for monprice. They have been a great company when I was building my home theater.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've used Monoprice for several cable puchases and found their products to be great for the price. Returns & exchanges are no problem. I now won't buy cables anywhere else.

·
Registered
115 Posts
similar experiences
but they also rock for mounts / switch's
their wall mounts are the bomb, specially their swing away wall mount, I think I've installed about 5 of those

super happy with their hdmi switch's as well, for the money they are shocking

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I bought my wife a 32" LCD for the bedroom last year I couldn't believe the price places where charging for mounts. Having worked in a sheet-metal shop I knew about what they should cost.

So while we are at it: also add wii and xbox component cables :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty hard to go wrong with monoprice.

I just bumped into their site this morning then found this thread.

Is there much difference in HDMI as long as its certified?

I've looked at Blue Jeans and they appear to be a good shop but their prices are about double mono-price. Am I missing something?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Most people I know that use Monoprice are very happy with them so for hdmi cable you can't go wrong. I also use www.firefold.com and have found them just as reliable.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think the build quality and aesthetics are slightly better with Blue Jeans cables. Performance wise there would be no difference. Monoprice's cables are very generic looking. Also what might be metal or higher strength plastic in a more expensive cable (ie: some of the cable's connector) is lower end plastic with Monoprice's cable. If you are the type that fiddles with connections a lot then a sturdier connector is a good thing. The Monoprice HMDI cables I are all adequate and do their job 100%. I have a 25 foot 22AWG cable that runs to my projector and has never had and signal problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like their mounts for flat panels. A buddy of mine was ready to buy one for 150 today, I told him dont bother, i got just the place to get one cheap. Their prices are great

1 - 20 of 27 Posts