Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been in the fringes of home theater since about 1986 with the purchase of a Yamaha SR-50B (still in my stored components somewhere, lol).
But I've finally decided to get a little more serious about it with the advent of all this new HD equipment. Just in the past three months the additions and replacements include:

The 11 year-old daughter's Wii (Christmas, lol)
Hitachi 51F510 rear projection set
Onkyo TX-SR606 (to replace the older Sony 6.1 HTIB receiver)
Sony PS3 (mainly for the Blue Ray capability, but I'm amazed at it's other abilities)

But I will take a purchasing break to shop for the best cost/quality blend for the new speakers to go with all of this new equipment.

I live in Temple, TX and work in the Killeen/Fort Hood area. I'm retired Army, and work for a government contractor training soldiers.

This site seems to offer a huge amount of info, way more than I've found anywhere else. Kudos to you all for an excellent site!

Dane Kruse

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy kruser79 and welcome to the Shack!

Come on in and take ya hat off... stay awhile... :T

Sonnie

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Hi Dane, I would look at SVSound for the speakers and sub. You may think I work for them, but, I do not. I have had many speakers and subs over the years, and have become a fan of the SVSound's products and outstanding customer care. There are other internet speaker companies that are also good. Keep reading. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

When you're ready to upgrade speakers, you'll find a lot of information here ...just post budget, room size, speaker size preference (bookshelf, floorstander, etc.) and I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions :yes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome all. Dr, I took a look at SVSound's website. Man! It's going to take me a little bit of time to work my way through all the info they've got. A definite possibility. I've also recently given some thought to building my own. But that's going to take a good deal more research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With what I believe to be one of the most important purchases in any system, I'm going to be taking my time and asking a lot of questions.
By the time I had it all together (for the most part, lol) my first system was the full component Kenwood system (Basic M2A amp, Basic C2 preamp, Basic T2 tuner), with Sony Beta Hifi, Panasonic VHS Hifi, and Pioneer Laserdisc. ADC equalization, DBX NR, impact restoration, and subharmonic synthesizer rounded it all out. But after starting with Bose, then moving to Infinity, I was hooked on my old Polk Audios. Monitor 10B's in front with Monitor 4A's on the surround channel driven by the early Yamaha SR-50B Dolby Surround amp. I think back and laugh when I think of how advanced it was (mid-eighties), and how my new system is going to try and top it.

But it won't be able to without the right speakers. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ain't it amazing though?

I remember being flabbergasted by the Hueys flying over my head looking into the Aysha Valley (sp?) in Hamburger Hill. But now that's nothing compared to Iron Man's boot jets igniting and slinging him across my widescreen. I think it's why I'm getting serious again about HT. The picture has finally caught up to what they can do with the sound...and what they do with the sound these days? Whooowhee!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts