Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what is going on this year but we are in a very strange weather pattern.
April and May have been some of the driest on record with less than 1" of rain and it still looks like we wont have any rain for at least a week more :scratch: Its incredibly dry this spring.

Too make things even stranger we usually have a few days of hot weather in May but its been unusually cool with some areas around us getting several inches of snow over the May long weekend (May 16-18).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So true, we've been more around average lately however just this weekend we had a really bad thunder storm come through, it had a wind gust front in it that caused city wide damage as it was over 110km per hour busting entire trees in half and even damaged several buildings.
Imagine it being calm and all of a sudden a gust of wind that strong goes through. :unbelievable:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tornado's are fairly common around here in the mid summer. Most dont do much damage though as they generally hit fields and unpopulated areas Thats said in 1987 we had an F4 directly hit the city killing 37 and again a small one in 1991 and 1993. Funnel clouds are spotted here several times every year.
The gust front like we had is more like a hurricane but much more damaging in some ways as the winds are calm and then it hits like a brick wall. Here are some photos of the damage it caused.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I can't imagine what an F4 would be like..:yikes:

We get news footage here sometimes from the US storm chasers..and some of the shots just make you shudder at the force of those tornado's..
I personally think those guys are mad..putting themselves in such danger, but they do get some fantastic shots!!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally think those guys are mad..putting themselves in such danger, but they do get some fantastic shots!!
There is a part of me that would love to go down there and join them on a chase, but I do agree it is very scary.
One of the TV stations here that I linked to above just set up a new real time radar system that is really good to keep track of storms like this. Its quite amazing what they can see by just looking at the signal it sends back.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the strange weather continues....

September usually starts off warm in the low 80's F(mid 20's C) but by now we are lucky to get in the low 70's. Over the last few weeks its been in the high 80's and we even hit the hottest days of the summer twice already this month with a high of 92F (33 C.) Today its been hot again at 88F and tomorrow its going to hit 92F again. What is up with that!

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
There certainly is some weird weather happening..even over here on the other side of the World..
In the last few weeks, we've had minus temperatures where I live!!.:yikes:..just about unheard of..
I even woke one morning to find the water in the bird bath completely frozen solid..

I keep a close eye on weather events around the World and it seems like every Country is experiencing these strange weather patterns..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you ever get snow in your area at all Prof?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I guess all you can really do is stay inside and keep your windows closed.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well seeing as this thread seems to be popular the weather here is still so very strange, today (5th of November) its 18C (68F) some of you will probably say big deal! but for this part of Canada thats very odd. It usually only around 5C (38F) Last month was the 3rd coldest October in 50 years and September before that was the hottest ever on record with a few of the days near the end of the month well over 30C (90F):huh: this has reaked havoc with the trees here as the temerature went from above 30C to below freezing in a matter of days andf stayed there for over a week in October the trees had not even turned colors and now they are worried that the damage may be in the millions as some trees never lost the leaves yet and died that way.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
It's all happening here as well..
They're predicting the next 6 days of temperatures over 35C.!! :gah:
That would break the all time record for November!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Warm down here on the southern coast of Lake Erie, too. Stunningly beautiful and warm the lst two days. Forecasting temps as high as 70 today. However, tomorrow, the bottom falls out and we return to normal. Highs around 55 with clouds and rain. :help:

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
It's all happening here as well..
They're predicting the next 6 days of temperatures over 35C.!! :gah:
That would break the all time record for November!!!
Well our Weather Bureau's prediction of 6 days over 35c. was a bit out..
We've had 9 days over 35C...and three of them were 39C.!!
But that's not the end of it!! Today they're predicting 43C. :gah:(that's 109.5F.) and one of our Northern towns is expecting 47C.!!!!! (that's 116.5F )..:yikes: :sweat:

I experienced that temperature once, many years ago in the middle of Australia..and you could hardly breathe it was that hot!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts