Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
True, I'm just devious. I want to rattle the teeth in thier head that comes from high Db's of low F's. If someone feels the need to compensate for something the sound of thier radio, my God complex kicks in and I relish in humbling them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Been building bikes for years so this thread caught my interest. I often work on touring bikes with hopped up sound systems in fixed fairings and they all sound like garbage from an SQ standpoint-too much ambient noise not to mention Doppler effects while cruising down the road. Once a year i make a motorcyle pilgramidge of sorts out west opf about 2000 miles for 10 days or so and nothing is more fatiguing than windspeed across the ears. Might i suggest another alternative. A quality Blue tooth streaming device with built in GPS mounted on the bars. Couple this with a lightweight Full faced helmet fitted with quality blue tooth headphones mounted in the ear cushions. The helmet will reduce outside noise pollution from both the wind and the motorcyle reducing fatigue. Secondly, the helmet will act as a bass enclosure, adding more low frequency than could probobly be acheived with engine gaurd mounted subs. This is all a moot point if the intention is strictly for profiling while riding down the boulevard. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mayhem, I agree completely. But in my attemps to achieve legendary status for darwin award type ideas, this looked like a fun way to spend a few dollars and see what I can do with my hands. I am sure somewhere in life the experience will be worth something. The project sounds like fun and in the end we're all gonna learn what you did. by chance if we figure something out.....I'm sure there is a market for it somewhere.

Are you building for yourself or professionally? I have had to step back for a few years to support my son, but now he is old enough to jump in the mix so I am in planning/saving/scheming part of getting back into it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Are you building for yourself or professionally? I have had to step back for a few years to support my son, but now he is old enough to jump in the mix so I am in planning/saving/scheming part of getting back into it.

I'm just helping out a friend, not doing this professionally (assuming that Q was directed at me).

As far as the headphones, I believe that is illegal in Virginia. On top of that I wouldn't personally recommend it - headphones reduce situational awareness more then a loud stereo IMHO. Plus, yes, I imagine my friend wants this for boulevard cruising too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After our PM's I have a pretty good feel for why your doing this Boomie, and from what I can tell this wouldn't be your profession. I'm sure you could however this is more for fun and to keep you out of trouble. Headphones are very much illegal in Va, however helmet speakers are the loophole. Like those that are supplied with the touring/grandpa style bikes. I'll give you more of my background next week, looking forward to Wednesday.

I'm fishing to see if Mayhem is out of one of the local shops here. Just getting back into the network of bikers again and I'm trying to find who is who and were they are.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm just helping out a friend, not doing this professionally (assuming that Q was directed at me).

As far as the headphones, I believe that is illegal in Virginia. On top of that I wouldn't personally recommend it - headphones reduce situational awareness more then a loud stereo IMHO. Plus, yes, I imagine my friend wants this for boulevard cruising too.
If he really wants to wow people while cruising...

:mooooh:Run for your life, Goldwing wheelie!:yikes:
:hide:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey Boomie-JUst an FYI headphones are legal and Harley manufactures headsets for rider to rider coms to be used inside DOT helmets but good luck with your project anyway-and listening to anything but the the road reduces rider awareness-on that point we both agree but riding motorcycles is dangerous....period so making it 'safer' is an exercise in futility if you ask me. As a long time motorcycle enthusiast kindly do me a personal favor-don't build some hoaky looking peice of $*^&-Orange County Choppers has done enough damage allready!!! LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll back you on that Mayhem. I like riding'm, not looking at'm. Went down this weekend int he driveway, there went another grand:spend: All cosmetic andf no injuries, my favorite kind of accident if you have to have one. Still out riding, even with my badge of shame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Absolutely Boomie. It is so much easy to just replacing/repainting and upgrading now. I feel so bad taking something away that is not used up or damaged. In this case I get a jump on preparing for my paint job. And I was considering the black crash bar, easyier to touch up in the event this kind of thing happens.

Are we turning this into a motorcyle forum? Can't wait to see what you have so far for the sound build out. Love to hear some of the other ideas you have come up with. I may have a few extra large speakers sitting around. I will need to spec them out to you so you can help me understand what I have and the power requirements to drive them. This way I can plan or go back to the drawing board. My son is just about at the age where profiling on dad's bike with noticable base pumping out would score him big cool points with his peers. "that's my DAD, imagine what I'll be when I get there" [Old is not the word that came to mind for the person who reads this and has a higher IQ in the seta of thier pants, i.e. smart ***]

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sketching this out further we'd need the following;

(2) 7" headlight housings (2x$50=$100)
(2) eD 7K.v2 7" subs (2x$65=$130)
(1) Pyle subwoofer crossover ($18)
(1) Uniq motorcycle amp ($60)
(2) Adapter collars (custom made) ($100?) - this is the part I need to price out.
And as always, assorted wiring, grommets, etc.

So we're looking at about $420 + s/h when everything is said and done. I think a lot of this will depend on how much the metal fabrication for the collar will cost us.

I went with the Uniq amp just because it is so small. A single 4 ohm channel should be fine for the subs, as we can get the 2 ohm versions and wire them in series.

I'm not 100% sure what the outer diameter of the headlight housing it except that it has to be bigger then 7". The driver has an outer diameter of 7.25" which should be able to fit if we make the right collar. Once I get my buddy sold on this idea I can fab a prototype collar out of MDF so I have something to show whoever we find to make the part.

I'd also like to have grills but 7" is such an odd size - I can't find any ones that fit. Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/head_and_tail.htm
Boomie
Here is another link to a headlight with mounting hardware and a form of a bezel ring that may be useful. I am still looking to see what is out there.

Keep me posted of future rides. I am looking into hitting the blueridge parkway sometime very soon. You might wnat to ride the 1800 on that one.:sarcastic:

Scooter looks good, I guess I still have some insecurity.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
After talking with the fabrication shop we may try this with a different, smaller, driver. The JBL 6W3 series is a 6.5" sub and models well in a similar enclosure. The fittment of the collar will be easier and finding a working grill will be easier as well. We could probably make this look real clean by using the headlight's outer rim to hide most of the custom work. Extension is a little better but efficiency is down a bit.

We're also thinking about using this Sony marine amplifier (which has two speaker channels, a sub channel and a built in crossover) if we can find a way to mount it. My buddy doesn't want to put it in the saddle bag (which is the easiest thing to do) as he doesn't think he can spare the space.

·
Registered
14 Posts
what about under the panel/cover just in front of the saddle bags. There is a descent amount of dead space there. I am looking for train/truck air horn set for the bike now. I had one of those caravan mother experiences and went sliding all over when my back locked up avoiding her. I tried baltting the exhaust and realized she couldn't hear them over the cell phone and kids in the back of the van. I also disvoered the bike has a rev limiter on it. There may have been an agressive downshift and accelration in there once things got back under control. My son was on the bike with me. I was seeing a little red. I would have loved to have had some train horns and scared her *** off into the median. At least she is wrapped in steel and glass.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
what about under the panel/cover just in front of the saddle bags. There is a descent amount of dead space there. I am looking for train/truck air horn set for the bike now. I had one of those caravan mother experiences and went sliding all over when my back locked up avoiding her. I tried baltting the exhaust and realized she couldn't hear them over the cell phone and kids in the back of the van. I also disvoered the bike has a rev limiter on it. There may have been an agressive downshift and accelration in there once things got back under control. My son was on the bike with me. I was seeing a little red. I would have loved to have had some train horns and scared her *** off into the median. At least she is wrapped in steel and glass.
I am a firm believer in having air-horns on bikes. Even my Vespa has one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know. I am considering giving up a little bag space somewhere for this. I love loud pipes but I will try to stay out of them for now for the sake of the neighbors.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I know. I am considering giving up a little bag space somewhere for this. I love loud pipes but I will try to stay out of them for now for the sake of the neighbors.
For a horn you shouldn't have to. The Harley airhorn (which isn't the loudest, I admit) will fit right where the stock horn is. The Rivco horn (which is much louder) can bolt onto your engine guards or frame rails. It is pretty so you don't have to hide it. I'm sure if you are clever you could find somewhere to mount a Stebel Nautalis, which is the loudest I've heard shy of train / 16-wheeler horns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do you know about the brand wolo? I ahve been looking at that and higher powered direct drive compressors so I can avoid the air tank thing. I am still a little ****** and ready to scare the cager off the road next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This topic is of extreme interest to me. I MUST have a good stereo and a subwoofer is key to such a system. I love my bike, 2001 Suzuki Intrduer VS800, but can't go for long without quality music.

So, I too have been trying to figure out a subwoofer build. I don't mind giving up my saddlebags, but they are only 9 1/2 L x 10 H x 6 1/2 D and like most are not rectangular but of a parallelogram profile. I have nothing on the sissybar and wouldn't mind using that space.

I've considered tossing a sub in one bag and an amp in the other. Pioneer has a shallow mount 8" sub TS-SW841D http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Subwoofers/Shallow/TS-SW841D that I can drop in, but the smallest enclosure they make for it is a tad too big UD-SW8U at 11 3/4 . While the Pioneer only requires .15cu any custom box would be not more than .1cu to fit. I wonder how bad it would be to drop it in without an enclosure? The amp on the other side might be JBL GT5-A402 or something similar http://www.jbl.com/car/products/pro...uage=ENG&Country=MX&Region=USA&cat=AMP&ser=GT

My other idea is either an 6" bazooka tube inside a leather roll bag or a Kenwood KSC-SW10 simply wrapped in leather. I'm trying to keep it looking natural. However, the smallest bazooka is 18" wide, and the Kenwood is 14 1/2. This would preferable go behind the sissy bar, but I'd consider incorporating it into a Lazy Rider http://www.lazyrider.com/ , though I'd rather not give up the passenger seat.

All the above are 100-120W RMS subs and amps paired with the same 35W Uniq Cycle speakers in the original post. However, power is a big problem. My bike can't provide enough and I'd be running a deficit of at least 50W even after replacing lights with LEDs and higher output stator. So I'm considering similar yet lower powered 60W Clarion SRV314 http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...rs/SRV314/us-en-product-pf_1172385081202.html or a Discontinued 60W Kenwood KSC-WA62RC WooX (if I can find one) being about the same size and shape as the flat KSC-SW10, or a 50W Wallmart 6" Bazooka tube. However, I'm not sure if I would even notice the bass with only 50-60 W.

I'm also thinking a 1 Farad capacitor would help with the sub given the limited power availible.

Thoughts?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts